Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Low BMI'ers - where'd ya go?

All you low bmi'ers, where'd you finally go to get your surgery? I'm right at 30 and I am determined to have this surgery. The yo-yo'ing over 20 years has just drained me of self-esteem and self-belief. All the women along my mother's side have/had Type II Diabetes and I'm heading that way.

So, for those who were pushing the limits of acceptable bmi, meaning 29'ish, 30 or very low <35, who did you find to do your surgery without having to compromise on quality and safety?

I don't want to knock my head against the wall meeting surgeons who say "no", so any suggestions would be appreciated. I also don't want to end up in a hospital being told they won't do my surgery after being approved by the surgeon. Did anyone have a letter from their PCP to present at consult? Did that help?

Thanks for any help!

I went dr Ariel Orriz of the OCC in Mexico. I couldn't find anyone local who would do it.

Mary

Dr Aceves in Mexacali, Mexico.

I went to dr. Ponce de leon in Tijuana. Highly, highly recommend him.

Dr. Alvarez in Pedries Negras, MX (about 2 hours away from San Antonio).

I went to dr. Ponce de leon in Tijuana. Highly, highly recommend him.

Me too.. Couldn't be happier with EVERYTHING involving Dr Ponce

Dr nicholson in Dallas, and I was a 33 on surgery day. He told me that 30 and above would qualify for his self pay program. LOVE HIM!

I corresponded with Alvarez's coordinator and told her I'm 5'8", 192-3lbs, high risk for Type II Diabetes, depression, back/neck pain, GERD and they said no. That's just under 30 bmi. But I was as high as 202 lbs this time last year and I hate to gain 10lbs just to qualify. I mean, isn't that an unhealthy thing to do? In reality, I'm probably a 30 bmi some days and a 29+ on others.

The one thing that creeps me out is not having surgery in a hospital. Does Ortiz keep you overnight? Which of the doctors you all have listed do surgery in a hospital?

Thanks so much for replying and sharing. It's so helpful for us folks trying to get things lined up.

Okay, I looked up Dr. jaime Ponce de leon online. Not to be rude, but seeing his picture and looking at his website did not give me a sense of confidence. He's unshaven, his shirt is unbuttoned and he's standing against a wall with some other guys that look like maybe they're coming from an all-night disco! LOL

Okay' date=' I looked up Dr. jaime Ponce de leon online. Not to be rude, but seeing his picture and looking at his website did not give me a sense of confidence. He's unshaven, his shirt is unbuttoned and he's standing against a wall with some other guys that look like maybe they're coming from an all-night disco! LOL[/quote']

Ha ha! I thought the same thing when I looked him up! :)

FABby40,

I swear, delving into the waters of Mexican VSG can be a real trip! But seriously, each of us has to feel good about our decision and go with our gut as well as our head.

Dr. Aceves does surgery in a hospital and its cleaner than most US hospitals. Excellent hospital and surgeon.

Good to know! Does he use a booking service or can you call his coordinator directly? Any language barriers with his staff?

Thanks for the info!

I corresponded with Alvarez's coordinator and told her I'm 5'8"' date=' 192-3lbs, high risk for Type II Diabetes, depression, back/neck pain, GERD and they said no. That's just under 30 bmi. But I was as high as 202 lbs this time last year and I hate to gain 10lbs just to qualify. I mean, isn't that an unhealthy thing to do? In reality, I'm probably a 30 bmi some days and a 29+ on others.

The one thing that creeps me out is not having surgery in a hospital. Does Ortiz keep you overnight? Which of the doctors you all have listed do surgery in a hospital?

Thanks so much for replying and sharing. It's so helpful for us folks trying to get things lined up.[/quote']

Ortiz does keep you overnight. Very clean, wouldn't change a thing;) my bmi was 32 when I first applied, 30 when I had it done, no commordities.