Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Dumping syndrome pre surgery

Hey guys,

Question for anyone who had experienced dumping syndrome prior to VSG surgery....how is it now after surgery? I had gall bladder removal surgery almost 3 years ago and the dumping syndrome has never gone away. I have miserably been putting up with it and have gradually just come to accept it as part of my existence. I know its supposed to be minimal with sleeve patients but I was wondering if anyone out there had it prior to surgery due to gall bladder removal and if it gets better or worse after VSG. My surgery is on 2~21 so I'm just soaking up info on every aspect from this wonderful site.

Just wanted to say hi. I'm scheduled to be sleeved 2/21 as well!

I had it before and still have it now. I'm pretty use to it. The good news is I have never suffered from the Constipation some post sleevers do, because of it.

Just wanted to say hi. I'm scheduled to be sleeved 2/21 as well!

Hey UPPR! Great to find another sleeve sister ! Lets keep in touch as we go about our journey! I will begin my two week diet on the 7th,have my preop appt on the 8th followed by surgery on the 21st @ 10am in Columbia SC. Wish I all the best with your surgery!

I had it before and still have it now. I'm pretty use to it. The good news is I have never suffered from the Constipation some post sleevers do' date=' because of it.[/quote']

Thanks mcwestfam! Nice to see the positive in the situation and I am pretty used to it...I was hoping for a change after surgery but definitely not the worst thing in the world.

My surgeon said sleevers don't/can't get dumping syndrome. It's so funny how every surgeon has different ideas...you'd think that our info would more the same. I guess a lot of docs go by what they've experienced with patients.

Hey UPPR! Great to find another sleeve sister ! Lets keep in touch as we go about our journey! I will begin my two week diet on the 7th,have my preop appt on the 8th followed by surgery on the 21st @ 10am in Columbia SC. Wish I all the best with your surgery!

Me too! Me too! My date is 2/21!

I had dumping syndrome before - hardly at all after. It has happened about 2-3 times since surgery 6+ weeks ago, but nowhere near as badly - mostly because of the teeny tiny amounts I can eat! I'm just making a practice to have my Protein first (which is what I'm supposed to do anyway!). When I do that, I don't seem to have any dumping issues.

BTW - my gastroenterologist had me taking immodium daily for the DS - which really worked pre-surgery. I haven't had to take it more than once post-surgery.

I had dumping syndrome before - hardly at all after. It has happened about 2-3 times since surgery 6+ weeks ago' date=' but nowhere near as badly - mostly because of the teeny tiny amounts I can eat! I'm just making a practice to have my Protein first (which is what I'm supposed to do anyway!). When I do that, I don't seem to have any dumping issues.

BTW - my gastroenterologist had me taking immodium daily for the DS - which really worked pre-surgery. I haven't had to take it more than once post-surgery.[/quote']

Thanks for the info! Just a question...did u have your gall bladder removed also or just had dumping syndrome? Also was the imodium working for u? Thanks for the info.

Me too! Me too! My date is 2/21!

Yay! Another sleeve sister! Please keep in touch and update as you go about this process!

Hey guys' date='

Question for anyone who had experienced dumping syndrome prior to VSG surgery....how is it now after surgery? I had gall bladder removal surgery almost 3 years ago and the dumping syndrome has never gone away. I have miserably been putting up with it and have gradually just come to accept it as part of my existence. I know its supposed to be minimal with sleeve patients but I was wondering if anyone out there had it prior to surgery due to gall bladder removal and if it gets better or worse after VSG. My surgery is on 2~21 so I'm just soaking up info on every aspect from this wonderful site.[/quote']

Thanks for asking this! I had mine removed in 2006 and when I'm especially gluttonous and/or caffeinated I have DS. So, needless to say, I've been curious about this too.

I had it before and still have it now. I'm pretty use to it. The good news is I have never suffered from the Constipation some post sleevers do' date=' because of it.[/quote']

Good to hear!

I had dumping syndrome before - hardly at all after. It has happened about 2-3 times since surgery 6+ weeks ago' date=' but nowhere near as badly - mostly because of the teeny tiny amounts I can eat! I'm just making a practice to have my Protein first (which is what I'm supposed to do anyway!). When I do that, I don't seem to have any dumping issues.

BTW - my gastroenterologist had me taking immodium daily for the DS - which really worked pre-surgery. I haven't had to take it more than once post-surgery.[/quote']

Thanks for sharing your experiences!

No - still have my gallbladder (so far!). Yes - the immodium worked both pre- and post-surgery!

My gall bladder was removed 10 years ago and I still have dumping.... I've learned to live with it also just being normal... My husband and BFF's know when I say "I have a stomach ach" to MOVE out of my way... I too am hoping it hours away after surgery.... But I agree maybe ill won't have the Constipation issues post op...

Being sleeved on 3/20!! Woot woot!