Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Ladies, what can I do about my abs?

So, I'm 4 weeks post op, started walking this week and doing some arm exercises/lifting to tone arms. But, my stomach is still tender from the surgery and I can't do anything that requires a lot of tightening of the abs. I've always been heavier on the bottom than top, so I don't want all of my boobs, and some of my hips to go before the belly, lol! What did you do?

Check with your doctor, but I would guess that any exercises to do would be ones recommended for C-Section patients, they are indirect. And obviously don't overdo it!

Check with your doctor' date=' but I would guess that any exercises to do would be ones recommended for C-Section patients, they are indirect. And obviously don't overdo it![/quote']

What are C-section exercises? I've never had children...

I wouldn't worry about your abs this early out after surgery, you have plenty of time to tackle them. I really didn't start working my abs until 6-8 weeks out to be safe.

For now, while you're walking you can just focus on tightening your abs and butt for 15-20 seconds at a time, release, and repeat. It goes further than you realize! I learned this from a personal trainer. If you've ever seen one of those jump rope, stretchy bands with the handles at the end - get one and use it around a strong pole or something like it (stair railing?) and do some simple push/pull exercises (Google for visual references) with some ab twisting motion like band trunk rotation and side bends - but go EASY, it does more than you realize and too much will leave you sore. Swimming is a great core workout as well!!

You should wait until you're fully healed to start ab exercises. I tried at 4 weeks, pulled and internal stitch and in pain almost instantly. Ask your doctor when he thinks you'll be ready for ab work

What are C-section exercises? I've never had children...

You can find them by a google search online, but I would wait honestly and do it when the surgeon allows you to.

Thanks ladies!!! I do have a stretchy band so that's definitely an idea and the tightening of abs and butt while on the treadmill sounds really good too! I won't overdo it though because I am NOT one for pain, lol. Thank you again you guys!

You have no control where the fat will come off your body and when. Your abs are far under your skin and fat and unless you have very toned and tight tummy now then it is not a time to worry about doing sit ups. I suggest walk, walk and walk. This is the best exercise to start with.

You have no control where the fat will come off your body and when.

I was going to say this but didn't want to be a buzz kill. Most women lose top down and many will tell you the stomach is the last to go. Unfortunate, but true. It took me probably 50 pounds before I noticed any difference below the waist. I'm 70% of the way to my goal and am still waiting for my belly to shrink into proportion to everything else.

Listen to everyone and don't worry about the working out too much yet. Take it easy and do what you feel up to. I know, at four weeks out, I didn't have much energy so walking was it.

Good luck!

Another tip on the belly weight...first, obviously we all know avoid any carbs, just do high Protein, but also if you have any issue with emotional eating, my doctor put me on xanax in addition to phentermine and my stomach started to move a little. I haven't had the surgery yet, but saw a difference when I started taking it.

but also if you have any issue with emotional eating...I haven't had the surgery yet' date=' but saw a difference when I started taking it.[/quote']

Emotional eating is not an issue since the surgery. Also weight loss pills are a no-no since then. And carbs are next to none only potatoes and Soup. Don't get me wrong... my stomach is going down, I'm just noticing other areas moving a little faster than my stomach.

I've lost almost 70 pounds and my tummy is definitely the last to go. :-( It's shrunk, but not nearly as much as I would like.

My hips are going no where. I have only lost 4 inches off of them in 20 weeks. My stomach is the first to go. It is funny how we all lose so differently. I agree with the rest. I just started working abs and I am 5 months out.

Ab-hancer.gif