Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I was just sleeved on Monday at 10 AM. When I did my leak test they made me take for big gulps of that yucky stuff. Why now can I only take very small sips of Water? I guess I'm more curious than anything. Thanks everyone.

The techs aren't sleeve trained and for most people they ask you drink in large gulps, as well as asking you to finish the glass of it. If you can, great, it makes the test faster but if you can't (I couldn't) then it just takes longer to do the test and they have to watch a little harder to find any leak that might be there. The heavy stream makes it easier (barium is very heavy). But either way the test will work.

I'm a gulper when I drink. This was the thing that had me the most worried prior to surgery. I have been very careful for the last two days to only take very small sips. But boy I sure wish I could gulp some Water right now. And so thirsty! :-)

Are you asking why you were "allowed" to take the big sips but now you're not?

If so, it's because the bigger sips allow the test to be done effectively - which is what you want - to see if there are leaks. However, the small sips are to protect your staple line and prevent a leak from developing.

If you can gulp it won't hurt you :) It's just that 90% of us gulp and feel intense pain so we are told not to do it. My doc said drink whatever feels comfortable for you. For me it took months to be able to drink even a larger swig. For others they can do it from the start.

Yes, I am able to drink any way I want. My doctor even allows me to use a straw and it doesn't cause excess gas or anything.

The person actually doing the test and instructing you on how much to drink is usually the radiologist - a physician. The amount they want you to swallow depends on what they need to see on the screen. Mine was set up so I could watch and I found it fascinating. I also only needed to take about 4-5 swallows of the nasty tasting Fluid so it wasn't too bad.

i never had a leak test..crazy how different drs do different things. one month out tomorrow w/ no complications and down 25!

The person actually doing the test and instructing you on how much to drink is usually the radiologist - a physician. The amount they want you to swallow depends on what they need to see on the screen. Mine was set up so I could watch and I found it fascinating. I also only needed to take about 4-5 swallows of the nasty tasting Fluid so it wasn't too bad.

I wasn't meaning they weren't qualified people, just that doing sleeve tests isn't their only job so they have kind of a standard procedure. We've had dozens of these with our son and the instructions were the same as they were for all of my leak tests (I had a leak so I had more than I wanted LOL). In some hospitals they are not physicians and the test is evaluated later by a radiologist. For all tests I've always watched them though. I'd agree it's very interesting.

I was just sleeved on Monday at 10 AM. When I did my leak test they made me take for big gulps of that yucky stuff. Why now can I only take very small sips of Water? I guess I'm more curious than anything. Thanks everyone.

Possibly due to swelling that happens in the first few days...I was able to do the swallow test easier than I could do water a day later but obviously it goes down.

iggychic, so sorry that your son has had to have any of these let alone many!! And so sorry you had a leak! Have a great evening!

iggychic' date=' so sorry that your son has had to have any of these let alone many!! And so sorry you had a leak! Have a great evening![/quote']

Thank you Annie, but (don't tell I told you this) he actually loved Barium! The formula they give kids is a chalky white formula which is made from the powder form verses the horrific bitter form they give adults. He NEVER slept due to his illness (he hurt too much to relax and sleep) so when he had a barium bottle he actually would drink it and then pass out for two hours. I asked if I could take a bit home LOL It was the one time I could plan a nap heh heh :)

The first time he had it they said it wouldn't clear his body (show in his bowel movement) for 40 mins minimum. Ten mins he was pooping white chalk....so we got used to rushing the test through with the techs (docs to "techs"). I've done my barium time LOL

I was shocked I had to have the clear horrific stuff when I had my first test so for the second I requested what they gave him as a baby. It's easier to drink (for me) than the bitter stuff by far!