Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Waiting on insurance...and eating my last " normal for me meals"

I'm not the confrontational type' date=' but I have a serious problem with talking to people who are about to have this surgery as though carbonated beverages are something they should EVER be considering again. I get it - none of us are perfect, hell, I had a diet slip up yesterday so I'm not saying this to tear you apart, stir up anything or even invalidate your experience but the facts are that while we will always be able to go back to our favorite foods in moderation, carbonated beverages are something that none of us should really be having if we are going to have this surgery- ever.

FatMamaW, carbonated beverages are something you need to be prepared to say goodbye to if you want this surgery, and almost any surgeon will support that statement. Off the top of my head, as a medical professional, I cannot think of many other actions that are singularly as destructive to your sleeve as going back to sodas, and beers. Please educate yourself on this matter.[/quote']

Grace the docs are not in agreement on this issue. Personally I was never a huge soda drinker, though I did always drink bubbly Water verses flat. I won't go back to that because I don't need to :) I think that amount of fizz in my stomach would be uncomfortable personally. But my doc is fine with champagne as a drink choice (after a period of healing of course) but ONLY in moderation, not several daily (though that would be the life for me LOL). As he explained, soda, champagne, etc are not going to sit still in your tummy if consumed alone (they might do so if you've just eaten a large meal though) so if they are "just a drink" they will flow right through you which is evidenced in a swallow test if you watch one.

They are empty calories, especially sugar soda's (huge calorie load) so not a great choice to return to post any weight loss if you can't control your consumption. But if you can manage moderation and do not consume them with food, they aren't as bad as many other choices one can make. Your milage may vary :)

Interesting info on soda (from a bariatric website)

Avoid Bubbly beverages – Regular sodas are packed with sugar and high in calories, which can cause you to regain weight quickly, and also cause dumping syndrome if you had a gastric bypass. Diet sodas have zero calories, but ironically, they still can cause you to regain weight. Numerous studies show that diet sodas trigger certain hormonal reactions that cause the body to store more fat. In addition, if you drink a carbonated beverage – even seltzer Water – while eating, it forces food through the stomach pouch faster. That means food does not stay in your pouch as long and you lose the feeling of satiety and increase the chances that you will eat more. Finally, the gas released from the carbonated beverage may cause the food forced through the pouch to enlarge your stoma, which again would allow you to eat more at one sitting – defeating the purpose of the weight loss surgery. Stick with Water, caffeine-free teas, and other non-carbonated beverages for best results.

Grace the docs are not in agreement on this issue. Personally I was never a huge soda drinker, though I did always drink bubbly Water verses flat. I won't go back to that because I don't need to :) I think that amount of fizz in my stomach would be uncomfortable personally. But my doc is fine with champagne as a drink choice (after a period of healing of course) but ONLY in moderation, not several daily (though that would be the life for me LOL). As he explained, soda, champagne, etc are not going to sit still in your tummy if consumed alone (they might do so if you've just eaten a large meal though) so if they are "just a drink" they will flow right through you which is evidenced in a swallow test if you watch one.

They are empty calories, especially sugar soda's (huge calorie load) so not a great choice to return to post any weight loss if you can't control your consumption. But if you can manage moderation and do not consume them with food, they aren't as bad as many other choices one can make. Your milage may vary :)

Yeah, I'll accept that, and I do recognize that NOT ALL doctors are in agreement, but it is certainly against standard guidelines for obvious reasons, and I just wanted OP to understand that diet coke DOES NOT fall into that category of being OK on a daily basis in moderation, because it isn't.

I'm really pigging out. I'm trying to get my fill of my favorites diet coke and chocolate almond ice cream. I'll be glad when I get the noticed that I've been approved so I can schedule my surgery. I know I should be dieting now...but I'm sure gonna miss all this good stuff!

You'll be fine I diet during my 6month supervised but when I was in the waiting stage I ate all my faves I'm 8 days out my weightloss is great

Yeah' date=' I'll accept that, and I do recognize that NOT ALL doctors are in agreement, but it is certainly against standard guidelines for obvious reasons, and I just wanted OP to understand that diet coke DOES NOT fall into that category of being OK on a daily basis in moderation, because it isn't.[/quote']

Oh I totally agree with you. Honestly when we can get so little in, wasting it on a drink made entirely of chemicals does not interest me at all. But then I know that the same person drinking that diet soda thinks my glass of wine is ridiculous :) So I have to give way for their vices too.

But as to the whole food funeral etc, I have to say, that at four months out there is nothing I used to eat that I can't eat now, so the whole funeral thing confuses me. This is not a diet. We aren't going to avoid xyz all of your lives. You may find you won't have a taste for something you used to like (I find sugar much less tempting than I used to) but you likely can eat that thing you loved...just not so much of it. So you're basically having a funeral for a guy who's still alive...which is kind of silly right?

Moderation is the key and starting out by pigging out isn't going to help in the long run. In just the little time I've been here I can see that many (not all) who have had these funerals, then become the people who have the biggest struggles once they are sleeved, with following their doctors orders. The time to start your life change is now, not after they cut you open, because you might find you never were ready for that change and really struggle with it. If you can't say "goodbye I'll see you soon" for a couple of months without consuming your bums weight in the food of choice...you don't stand a chance for long term success. EMBRACE that this is NOT A DIET! It's just a change for the better. Everything is ok in moderation after the sleeve. EVERYTHING in MODERATION!!!! So let the dead guy get out of the coffin for gods sake :)

I'm not the confrontational type, but I have a serious problem with talking to people who are about to have this surgery as though carbonated beverages are something they should EVER be considering again. I get it - none of us are perfect, hell, I had a diet slip up yesterday so I'm not saying this to tear you apart, stir up anything or even invalidate your experience but the facts are that while we will always be able to go back to our favorite foods in moderation, carbonated beverages are something that none of us should really be having if we are going to have this surgery- ever.

FatMamaW, carbonated beverages are something you need to be prepared to say goodbye to if you want this surgery, and almost any surgeon will support that statement. Off the top of my head, as a medical professional, I cannot think of many other actions that are singularly as destructive to your sleeve as going back to sodas, and beers. Please educate yourself on this matter.

It is not against my surgeons guidelines. My surgeon says carbonation DOES NOT stretch out your sleeve. I have no reason not to at 19 months post-op. I didn't drink carbonated beverages until I was completely healed (about 3.5 months out) And I would have a few a week total. I made my goal and have maintained with-in 7 pounds up or down for more than a year. I can see how you would feel this way being a few weeks out. But wait and see how you feel about it in 6 months. I am also a RN and I am working on my masters in nursing and just transferred to our bariatric department.

Hi,

As to the food funerals that's is not that uncommon! Hell I wish I would of had the sense to do a few before my pre-op, but I just wasn't thinking :)

As to the soda I see a lot of people speaking in absolutes again... You need to talk to your doctor about it and make your own choice. As you can see here, lots of Drs have different ideas about this. And I don't think we should condemn someone or tell them they are "uninformed"

"Not ready" or shouldn't get this surgery if they don't do things like you were told or think. We are just all trying to get along on our Quest to a healthier life. And I think it's a good thing to discuss and bounce ideas off of each other. But I would refrain from telling someone that they are not "fit" for this surgery if they don't see things your way..

I hope you find your way and I wish you good luck on your surgery

Laura

I think I ate all of what I wanted pre-op because I knew it would be a long time before I could enjoy them again and there is no guarantee how our sleeves will respond to certain foods so, I didn't know how long it would be before I could enjoy my favorite foods again... and have the freedom of eating however much I wanted, etc. I was just promoted to pureed foods today and I'm so excited... and glad I took advantage of eating all those yummy foods to my heart's content during the approval stage. LOL

I agree w most I'm 8days sleeve and I plan on follow dr order for my diet until I lose the amount of wait but know way am I'm gone live my life saying oh no I can't have that thus is a life style change not a diet this for life and I did this to be as normal as possible diets don't work we all kno that ..enjoy your pre op stage just have your mind ready for the life style change which ha I'm laughing at my myself cause mind could never be ready

Thank u iggychic! I wondered about that! No more food funerals!!

It is funny since I gave up diet cokes during preop, I don't miss them. Weird since I was thinking that was going to be the hardest thing. I am so hungry on these shakes! I ate a scrambled egg today. Sooo good. My surgery is Monday 18th. I know I should give up my artificial sweetener in my Decaf tea, but I can't make myself drink anything but tea and Water.< /p>