Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Second time around

Hi, My name is Lisa. I live in Michigan and work as a Bariatric Center Manager and Certified Group Support Leader. I am married and have 2 children, a step daughter and 2 grand children by marriage. My husband didnt want me to have surgery because he didnt want to chance losing me on the table. He went to one of our informational sessions so I could explain why this is important to me. I want to be around!!! And with the weight I am carrying, my time here will be shortened. He understood and is now one of my biggest supporters. I am blessed.

I had the Lap Band done in 2008. I had complications, my port moved which meant second surgery. From the beginning it was hard for my band to be filled the pokes ranged from 15-27 even under floroscopy. I went to another doctor, the one that eventually I would work with. He did some testing and found my band had moved. I had to have another surgery to take the band out to stop erosion on my stomach. I had lost in total 110 lbs but over time had gained alot back. My New Surgeon Vasanth Salin MD performed a sleeve gastrectomy on 1/7/13. To date I am 30lbs down and feeling great!! I can definately tell the difference in the surgeries because I feel very restricted.

I coach and help patients on a daily basis and my job is very fulfilling. But I am human too and need guidance and support. That is why I joined this forum. For support and also topics that I can present to our patients that attend the group support we offer.

I look forward to the new friends I will make.

Lisa :)

Welcome Lisa. This a great place to both glean and share experience. We do have our fair share of emotional posts & responses, as I'm sure you would expect having your experience.

I hope you enjoy our little community.

Congrats! Looking forward to being on the losers bench with ya.. Surgery date pending (feb)

Good for you Lisa, Welcome to the forum!

Hi Lisa! Glad you're here! I'm glad to hear you found a great doc and that things are going smoothly.

I am a 25 year old female and I have been diagnosed with high blood pressure and I was contemplating the lap band or sleeve just looking for some imput im 268lbs 5' 9"

Welcome! It's alot of fun reading the posts and making new friends. Congrats!! I'm scheduled for my sleeve this Monday. Terrified and excited at the same time.

Krissy, based on the fact that I have had both surgeries, I can tell you a few things.

1. With the lap band, you can still put the wrong foods in. I could eat anything I wanted. I had to have the will power to choose healthy foods. If you struggle with will power the band may not be the choice for you.

2. With the sleeve I felt instant restriction when i tried my first real meal. My body told me I was full and I had no choice but to listen.

No one but you and your doctor should tell you which surgery is best for you. I suggest researching both of the surgeries and based on your research, your health history and your surgeons recommendations make your choice from there. Good Luck!! I wish you great success.

I am a 25 year old female and I have been diagnosed with high blood pressure and I was contemplating the lap band or sleeve just looking for some imput im 268lbs 5' 9"

Since this is a sleeve forum I would venture to say that most of us would recommend the sleeve over the band. I think we might be just a tad less than objective.

In the interest of giving you tons of anti-band rhetoric, I'll recommend that you check out the thread "Is the band really that bad" or you could check out our band to sleeve revision section.

There is also a sister site to us called LapBand Talk. But keep in mind they are a bit partial too.

Ok thank you just figured id ask since I see a lot of people had it first and stuff that's way I asked thanks everyone for your help