Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I am 35 and have been struggling with my weight for over 10 years now. I was scheduled for sleeve today actually. My father was against the surgery in general, but accepted my decision and has been trying to be supportive. He wanted to meet the surgeon and have a lot of questions answered. We went in to see surgeon on Thursday and I came out more confused than ever. They basically all (mom, dad, and dr.) ganged up and made me feel that band is soooo much safer and a much better option.

Truthfully, I never even read up on the band because I didn't like the idea of having something inside me forever and was not comfortable with the idea of it slipping and having to come in for adjustments (fills), etc., so I dismissed it completely initially. After that appointment on Thursday, I came away feeling like the band was so obviously the way to go, but every time I thought of having that thing inside me it brought me to tears. Obviously I had to make a decision fast bc they had to make sure to get the approval for the switch from my insurance and my surgery was scheduled in four days. I was so confused and felt so much pressure to decide that I thought it was not the right way to make the decision, so I have postponed the surgery and I have two new dates tentatively set in February depending on which surgery I choose to go with. I have to decide by the end of the week.

Can you all please tell me your stories? Successes, failures, revisions, etc. I want to hear it all so I can make the most informed decision. I am still hung up on having the band in me forever, but I believe I will get over it if I really feel it is the best option. One thing that is for certain, is that the band is many times more safe (in terms of the surgery and chance of death) than the sleeve. But if the chances of success overall are lower and I will end up having the sleeve in a few years anyway, then I don't want to do that. I welcome any comments. Thanks in advance.

My mother also had a lot of input on what she thought about my surgery. I basically told her in a respectful way that i have researched this surgery for months as well as the band and I feel like his is the best option for me and that if diet and exercise alone worked i would not be fat and unhealthy now, that this is NOT a quick fix and it is NOT the easy way out. I am 35 years old and have been struggling with my weight all my life and this is no ones decision but mine......i told her I didnt need her approval just her support and weve been fine ever since. Good luck with your decision.......

Check the Band to Sleeve revision board here on VST. Lots of us can tell you our stories about the band. Some never had success with it, some had some weight loss but lots of problems getting food down or keeping it down. I had success for 3 years, but my band broke after my pregnancy in 2010. Currently the statistics are showing that the band won't be in you forever even though they market it that way: 55% of patients have had it removed by 5 years, usually for erosions, slips, or failure to lose weight. I'm surprised surgeons are still offering the band at all.

Of course, everyone here will pretty much be biased toward the sleeve. Have you checked out Lap Band Talk? You'll find more people who like their bands there...but also, a lot of people looking to revise it.

I'm getting a sleeve, and my cousin is getting a lap band. I went with the sleeve because it has the fewest restrictions on what food you can eat. I also didn't like the idea of having a foreign object in me for life. I've been working with a NUT for a while, and am very confident in my eating habits so that I just need the help to lose all this weight I'm carrying around.

My cousin wants the band because she wants the extra restrictions to help enforce the diet. She's afraid that the sleeve will let her slip back into all her bad habits.

Good Luck.

Ann

I had originally wanted the band when I started my research but at that time I really didn't know much about the sleeve and the idea of cutting out a good chunk of stomach scared me, it still does. When I met with my surgeon he told me about all 3 surgeries but strongly suggested the sleeve and told me that he's taken more lap bands out in the last year then has put in. The only thing is not every insurance will cover the sleeve yet. I'd say do your research and make the choice on your needs not your families. :)

Thanks so much for your responses and words of encouragement. I have decided on the sleeve and i am 10% confident that that is the one that's right for me. I'm scheduled for February 11th, so excited!!!!

ok I can't help it.....10% confident?

yes yes I know what she meant...it's just not what came out.

The thing that made the Band / Sleeve decision for me..

At my surgeon’s office all of his staff have had WLS.

Two of the Gals have first had the Band then had a

second surgery to have the sleeve. They said the

quality of life is better with the sleeve

I had to go in to my surgeon's office today because I've been having some post-sickness issues with keeping food down. While there, I ran in to a fellow patient who asked what I had done and how successful it had been. I was able to tell her that I've lost nearly 100 pounds since October (wow, typing that out... phew :D). Turns out she was a band patient who was less than happy with the results. She was one year out... and down 20 pounds.

For me, I know what got me in to this problem (among other things) was Portion Control. The tools (portion control, hunger control) that the sleeve provides me seemed much better than the temporary fix of the band. I really can't complain about the results so far.

My mother also had a lot of input on what she thought about my surgery. I basically told her in a respectful way that i have researched this surgery for months as well as the band and I feel like his is the best option for me and that if diet and exercise alone worked i would not be fat and unhealthy now' date=' that this is NOT a quick fix and it is NOT the easy way out. I am 35 years old and have been struggling with my weight all my life and this is no ones decision but mine......i told her I didnt need her approval just her support and weve been fine ever since. Good luck with your decision.......[/quote']

I had the same conversation with my mom which was the only one not being supportive.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using VST

sleeve!! for sure the band is not as succesful as sleeve friend had it and was not succesful at all she lost very slow and very little and now is back to her heaviest the band allows you to manipilate your food intake meaning you can cheat with the sleeve you cannot cheat even if you try between my sleeve and my friends band i have been the winner im 7 months out and almost at my goal and my friend will be getting band removed (not covered by insuance) so she can get sleeved you will have something in you forever with both surgeries anyway the staples for the sleeve stay in your stomach and becomes part of your stomach band is reversable sleeve is not i urge and recommend sleeve i also revommend you dont let anyone even family be the deciding factor this is your decision only you can make it you must be ready and willing to accept a complete lifestyle change listen to your inner voice and once you are 100 % sure then go for it this surgery is for you not anyone else good luck

oops missed your decision and surg date congrats you made the right choice some advise do not leave hospital unless you can cometely drink at least half a cup of Water i did suffer severe dehydration once i went home so very important to be able to intake fluids the first few days much luck to you