Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Surgery Complication..Rectus Muscle Hematoma? Need help..

Hi Everyone,

I will try to make this as short as I can, but I need some assistance from anyone who is going through this. I had surgery 10 weeks ago tomorrow. For the last 8 of those 10 weeks, I've had a stabbing, ripping, burning pain on the left side between the left and center incisions that runs up and down. It runs from the waist band up to about an inch above the belly button, again, between the two incisions. There are times it's so sore that I can't move, bend, twist, get in the car and even clothes laying on the skin is extremely painful. It can go from excruciating (child birth was easier!) (and I have a high pain tolerance) to bearable, but never really goes away. You never know what will trigger it either to be excruciating. Yesterday I was standing still, went to fix the button on my pants (only my hands moved) and wham.. the pain was unreal.

I have been back to my surgeon about this about 4x.. he does NOT beleive me. Sent me for a CT scan and it was negative!! How could that be? So I went back again for a 5th time and he was VERY condesending to me and although I told him to please please be gentle when he pressed the area he was brutal. I've never been treated so roughly.. he kept pressing so hard my feet were coming off the table, I had tears in my eyes, I begged and begged him to stop and even tried to move his hands, but he kept on pressing and telling me to stop it...I could barely get off the table, driving home was a blur because the pain was so bad from what he had done. He told me he feels a lump so he thinks it's a Rectus Muscle Hematoma...when I asked him what that meant he smirked at me and said, bleeding.. Hematoma?? Like I was an idiot. He said sometimes it happens from the blood thinners. I asked how we fix it and he said well you really can't. I asked why after 8 weeks he is feeling it now and he said it happens. I don't know that sounded strange to me... He said the only way to be sure is for him to "OPEN me back up and put me under and take a look but if it is a hematoma, I have to live with it, there is nothing he can do"... agian, very smirky and condesending then he walked me out and said, "it's not an emergency, but you say it's "so bad it imapcts your life" so you decide when you want me to go in..."

I have never ever been treated like that. This is NOT the doctor I talked to so many times prior to my surgery, the doctor that had a great reputation, credentials and was so compassionate that I chose him over others... I tried to get a second bariatric opinion, but nobody will see me.. "Doctor's Code" apparently is more important than helping patients I've learned...So.. I went to my primary and he's sending me for an MRI to see if that shows anything but if not, I may have to go back in for more surgery to figure it out.. UGH...

Question is, has anyone else ever experienced a Rectus Muscle Hematoma or symptoms like this?? The weird thing is sometimes its fine, others it's not.. no warning either.. It's so stabbing that I often wondered if he left something in there, but of course that would have shown up on a CT!

If you have had this , what was the treatment? How long did it go on like this?? ANY info anyone can share will be so greatly appreciated... I'm so frustrated, upset and just at a loss...

I'd appreciate any insight you can share!

Thanks!

So sorry this is happening to you. The attitude of your surgeon is unbelieveable. Hopefully your primary care doctor will get some answers.

This is how several surgeons are post op. once they've cut you, they've got you for the long haul. Be forceful. Squeaky wheel gets the oil. And what was your CT scan negative for, exactly?

I would keep trying to get a second opinion. There are some doctors that will look at your case. Try contacting different bariatric programs, look for a program that is long established as those are the doctors who usually take care if things like this.

The CT scan was negative for any leaks, tears or just trying to see what could be causing the pain... It showed nothing, but then he says he felt a hematoma (hmmm after 8 weeks of going to him for this?)... My primary wants me to get an MRI but the insurance has denied it.. Calling them now to fight with them.

The CT scan was negative for any leaks' date=' tears or just trying to see what could be causing the pain... It showed nothing, but then he says he felt a hematoma (hmmm after 8 weeks of going to him for this?)... My primary wants me to get an MRI but the insurance has denied it.. Calling them now to fight with them.[/quote']

You poor thing. I had a leak so no leak is good good news! But honestly I know I had the complication I could best tolerate. I have crazy sensitive pain receptors and I know I couldn't handle the pain of a hematoma.

Did your jerk of a doc at least give you something for pain for now?

LOL are you kidding?? Of course not, he didn't give me anything.. he doesn't believe me. I asked him to write a note for work allowing me to work from home 2 days a week because I have an hour and a half drive each way and its so painful there are days I can't lift my body enough to get in the car because of the pain and he told me NO! Pain meds? Never!

I'm so frustrated!

LOL are you kidding?? Of course not' date=' he didn't give me anything.. he doesn't believe me. I asked him to write a note for work allowing me to work from home 2 days a week because I have an hour and a half drive each way and its so painful there are days I can't lift my body enough to get in the car because of the pain and he told me NO! Pain meds? Never!

I'm so frustrated![/quote']

Oh my gosh! You know, you may just want to see your primary care physician or go to the ER/Urgent Care for a quick second opinion. They'll be able to tell of its a hematoma. And surely to God give you something for pain. Have you tried a heating pad or ice pack?

Wow I want to cry for you! You need to report this doctor ASAP! What he is doing is cruel and not right at all!!! I hope you find your answers and I'm sorry you are going through this. Report him ASAP!

Well, I thought about reporting him, but sinve I may still have to get surgery to view what is going on, I didn't want to rock that boat just yet because he would have to do it. I saw my primary, he's ordering an MRI... insurance denied it because I had a CT... well gee, if they got the info from the CT that they needed do you think I'd be sent for a MRI? Politics with these ins companies is ridicilous.. so now he has to send in a note saying that the CT was inconclusive and he reviewed it.. hopefully then they will approve it. This is so unreal, I mean REALLY??

You're in my thoughts! If you want to pm me you can. Like I said, I had different complications but I totally understand your frustrations!

Okay I had this exact pain. It was a spigelian hernia... My pcp diagnosed me... It was way before my sleeve surgery but after a different surgery I had

It is very painful... It can be fixed easily but I would choose a different surgeon then your rude bariatric dr

It is common in over weight people and after an abdominal surgery

Just adding that it was an MRI that found it.

Have your pcp refer a surgeon. Do not use your bariatric dr

^what she said!

Stay away from that a-hole you're dealing with.

Oh thank you for that bit of informaiton, I will mention it to my primary once we get the insurance company to approve the MRI! I never heard of that kind of hernia before. What was the treatment of it??

My primary had said that he thought it would be best to have the surgeon who did my sleeve do the "search" surgery if it's needed because of the sleeve being so new. He wasn't confident I should use a general surgeon.. Hmmm will have to talk further about that once we get more answers!