Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Difficult Fill

Anyone else have a difficult time getting a fill? Took a long time to find the spot to inject and then had a difficult time inserting the needle - bent 2 of them. Now I feel no restriction at all - just like I never had a fill at all. This was my first one. This was not a good experience. Anyone else have a similar experience?

I haven't had my first fill yet. I'm curious to know how your doc did the fill. Did he use an xray machine or he just felt around for your port ?

So far I have had 2 fills and 1 unfill.

The first fill at 6 weeks postop was a piece of cake and was done by my surgeon Dr. Rosenthal.

My second fill was at 16 months postop and was done by another surgeon, Dr. Gomez. Dr. Rosenthal was no longer taking my insurance. This second fill was extremely hard! I almost passed out! He was able to find the port on the first try. What did it was having my port man-handled and moved around as he took out and put in saline. I am very careful with my port and hardly ever touch it and here he was just pushing and pulling on it. Made me extremely nauseous! He had to stop and put ammonia under my nose. The whole thing took over 20 minutes!

My unfill was last week and was done by Dr. Rosenthal once again. He takes my insurance now. I thought I wouldn't have a problem because he did great on me the first time. Wrong again. He poked me 3 times, twisted, grabbed, pushed, and pulled my port all over the place! He said that it kept moving on him...this was all under fluoroscopy! He finally got through and was able to remove some Fluid. I was really shakey for a good hour after that!

I really do not have good luck with adjustments!

I've spoken to a few of my doctors patients and none of them have ever had problems during fills. As a matter of fact my Dr. - Dr. Ren and her assistant never use x-rays!

Wow! Those sound like difficult fills. You are describing pretty much what happened to me. But I wonder why I'm not feeling at all restricted. Maybe he didn't fill it enough?

I had a HORRIBLE first fill with many bent needles, a lot of pain and then ZERO restriction (he only put 1cc in). I was terribly disappointed.

Then I had a different doc do it who numbed the area so at least it didn't hurt at all, still had a heck of a time getting my port (it's REALLY DEEP) but eventually hit it and filled me to 2.5 giving me excellent restriction and jumpstarting my weight loss.

Sometimes it takes a few tries. Difficult fills are the pits but I've just grown to expect it, get lots of numbing and warn the doc to be prepared. One joked I should tattoo an "X" over my port. Maybe he wasn't joking...:)

Coffeewench,

Thanks for your reply. I feel much better. I was thinking that something must be wrong and I would have to have another surgery to correct it. I've also heard that scar tissue can begin to cover the port, making insertion difficult. Now I hope I'll go back in and get more fill and I'll be good to go. My doc did numb the area, so it didn't hurt. But there was a lot of jostling around and now I'm a little bruised and sore. I hope next time isn't too bad. How soon after the first did you get your 2nd fill?

My fills have been a breeze...my doc uses Lidocaine first so there is no pain at all and an ultrasound to find the port before poking around. He found the port immediately and without pulling or pushing the port at all. On the second fill, the syringe was actually broken and they had the needle in me and had to de-fill the whole band, remeasure and then insert the Fluid with the additional fill. I didn't feel a thing and it only took about 5 minutes.

I'm a little over 4 months post op and haven't had a fill as yet. After reading this I don't know if I want one. But I realize how important it may become, and with these statements maybe I'll be a little better prepared.

Went for my 1st fill this a.m--APRN couldn't locate right spot after several attempts. Going back this afternoon for the Doc to try. Very disappointed-hope this second try works!

Second attempt with the doctor and 1st fill went well. My port is slightly tilted. Only 1cc given. The journey begins!

Had a 2nd fill after I didn't get much restriction with the first one. This 2nd fill was a breeze after a difficult first one. However, I don't feel much restriction with this one either.

What gives?

No restriction with my 1st fill either!! 1cc. Next appointment scheduled for October. Called and scheduled 2nd fill for 8/25. I didn't think I should have to wait till October. Hope this will do the trick. Banded 7/2 only down 12 pounds and very discouraged. Any other Dr. offices schedule fill 6-8 weeks apart?

My understanding is that if you are not feeling restricted enough, you should come in pretty quickly for more fill - like 1 week - so that your weightloss can get started.