Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How can this math be possible ? The Sleeve is not working.

I lost 22lbs the first two weeks after surgery! I was thrilled, I was feeling very happy with the lost BUT then the following 35 days I have kept the calories under 1000 logging every bite. Protien is getting in, Fluid is getting in, and lots of walking with a little weight lifting. I have went up to 261 and back down to 254. Please don't say I have built muscle I know better.

My surgeon said my body has hit a "set point". Ok how long is this going to last? How is the math possible? My body has to be burning more than 1000 calories a day!

I measure in inches neck, waist, hips on fitness pal. No change from pre surgery.

I eat every few hours trying to up my metabolism. That moved it from 261 back to 254 but I also think TOM may have played a part in that up and down in that particular week.

I keep carbs under 70. I was doing as low as 30's but my surgeon lectured me that my body needed more carbs because other organs use the healthy carbs to function.

My husband reminded me that he was worried about this very thing because I have had the willpower to stay on a 900 calorie diet of 2 protien shakes and one healthy meal a day before surgery for months on end and the same thing would happen I will have a beginning lost then my body locks down and stays at one number. pre surgery that went on for months will it go on for months now? My husband is very supportive and he is just expressing the same disbelief I am that how is this possible?

This Wednesday day I will be at seven weeks out and yes you can take 22 lbs and say that is good for seven weeks but I lost all that in two weeks! I have lost nothing in the following five and fear I will not lose in the coming weeks. I am a lot more active weeks 3 through 7 after getting forty stables out of my belly from surgery to fix cut bowel but it is the two inactive weeks where I actually lost weight.

Why does the math of less input and more out put not work for me? I am seriously considering returning to the liquid diet that took off 22lbs, And that would take me to almost no carb again. Maybe I can take off the weight with liquid diet and keep it off with the sleeve restricted eatting.

I have struggled with this exact same type of question during stalls when I was exercising and eating under 600 calories.

I'm on the 3rd week of a stall that is really beginning to wear on my nerves (I'm 3 and a half months out from surgery). I upped my calories from around 500 calories a day to 900 calories a day for the last 3 days to see if that would shock my body. Nope.

BMR is BMR. If there is a deficit, then there should be a reciprocal action.

And I'll also add that I've been checking my keytones with strips. Before I was in heavy ketosis. Now I am in "trace" or "light" ketosis. I know you don't have to be in ketosis to lose weight.

Same thing is happening to me on my 12 week VLCD preop. I lost a LOT of weight the first two weeks and then have been plateaued since. I'm now in week 8 and the scale only just now started moving again and went down by 3 more pounds. I have read that stalls of even two months are not uncommon.

I haven't done any research on this, so it may be just folklore, but I've heard that some of us hold onto weight when we're starving. Good peasant stock and all that. If famine is a part of your genetic history, maybe you're fighting that.

We stall. Period. Almost all of us. It will pass. There are probably thousands of threads on here about them.

Sometimes it's for a week, sometimes it's 5. Stalls are frustrating and they piss all of us off, but the end result is always the same if you do what you are supposed to do...the scale WILL go down.

We stall. Period. Almost all of us. It will pass. There are probably thousands of threads on here about them.

Sometimes it's for a week' date=' sometimes it's 5. Stalls are frustrating and they piss all of us off, but the end result is always the same if you do what you are supposed to do...the scale WILL go down.[/quote']

I hope that is true it is just hard to believe in the midst of a stall

Keep in mind that the exact same thing would have happened if you had not been sleeved and just ate what you ate. It's just that you have invested much money and suffering and expect a result from it. Very understandable. I would mortgage my house and bet the money that you will drop eventually with the great discipline you are showing.

I have been through many illogical stalls in the last year. Your body doesn't care about math. It does what it does and doesn't tell you why. Brats, aren't they?

I wish I had kept one thread going for the past 10 months with all my ups and downs with stalls.

I dont really want to say this but,get use to this.I would only lose weight one week out of every 5 and even had a 7 week stall.Yet I have lost 130 pounds in 10 months.That is without the extra 10 I came home with from the hospital.

And this thing about the math..lol...let it go,you'll just drive yourself crazy like I did.

Again,having said that,I had to keep my calories around 800 and my carbs at no more than average 40 to lose weight fast.I didnt exercise and I still dont drink enough Water,am a tea addict!

I have been on at least 100 diets in my life and have never lost the weight in the strange way that I lost it with the sleeve.There is just no explaining it but also no changing it,I tried!

Good luck and be patient and do what you have to do!

I have been in one over a month now. At 6 months post op my intake is 800-900 calories a day. I walk/jog 5 + miles 5 days a week and eat pretty clean. In any other world I would be 100 pounds and dying of starvation. I have lost 70 something pounds and am pretty confident the last 10 or less will eventually go. Our bodies are in shock.

I stalled pretty regularly until 3 months out then started losing like crazy...My boss experienced the same thing...

Yes, you need to invest a few minutes in searching out the stall and broken stall threads here. This is just a normal part of the process, despite how frustrated you feel. A stall is three weeks or more at the same weight.

My typical loss pattern was to stay the same weight for roughly two weeks of the month, gain three pounds during my period and then lose any weight I would lose that month in the last week to ten days of the month.

It was like that almost every month.

I had two 9 week stalls. On average, I lost just over 6 pounds a month, but in reality I had entire months where I lost nothing or lost only one pound, followed by a month where I'd drop eight pounds.

My diet never varied enough to account for the changes. PdxMan posted a really informative post on stalls some time last year, and ButtertheBean has posted one or two, also.

They're normal. They happen with WLS and without WLS.

The best thing you can possibly do for yourself, no matter how hard it is, would be to try to let go of any time-related expectations you have. You can't expect to lose weight every time you step on the scale. It will discourage you. So long as you generally keep heading in the right direction, you will continue to lose weight and you will reach goal. This is not a race, this is about losing the weight and keeping it off for the rest of your life. Every pound gone is one gone forever if you take this time to do the head work that should accompany the lifestyle changes you've made.

The sleeve works, you just have to be patient.

~Cheri

I just wanted to add that if calorie deficits were so cut and dry as simple math, we'd all lose the weight on our first diet. We all know how to diet here - we're professionals. There's so much more to the equation that simple calories in vs. calories out and using a little willpower. If it was so easy, none of us would diet for most of our lives only to wind up having surgery to fix the issue. I think genetics, hormones and blood sugar play a much larger part than anyone realizes.

Hang in there,

~Cheri

Usually your body loses a lot of weight right after surgery because you lose a lot of Water weight.

Usually your body loses a lot of weight right after surgery because you lose a lot of Water weight.

Anyone on a pre-op plan would have lost that already.

I hear all of you and logic say your right. I have read many of the stall and breaking stalls threads but the reason we have so many repeat thread is when it is happening to you, it is just unbelievable and frustrating and there is a need to vent.

The calorie in/ calorie out thoughts come from another thread where a moderator said the sleeve is prove of that being true.

Righ now I am battling two lines of thought. One says listen to the voices that say 500 to 600 calories and hardly no carbs that will make me lose, then the other say what I am doing 1000 calorie and around 70 carbs makes me feel like I am not even on a diet I have diet so many years that seems doable forever and therefore equals a truer lifestyle change.

Then a third line of thought says do the 500-600 and extremely low carb to lose and the 1000 calorie a day healthy foods to maintain. I am leaning toward the third thought at this point.