Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Do any low BMI-ers regret having the surgery?

I just keep thinking how this is major surgery. I'm afraid I might regret having the surgery. I'm 28' 5'1" and 215. I've dropped significant weight and have gained it back so many times. My weight is constantly fluctuating. Do any low BMI-ers regret having the surgery? Or feel the pain and everything wasn't worth it? Or wish they lost it on their own instead?

Thanks in advance for your help :)

My BMI the morning of my surgery was a 36.0 @ 5'3 203 lbs. Although i am only 11 days post op i can't imagine not having the surgery. I like everyone else have done every diet there probably is and i did lose weight but it always came back, so as far as your question about doing it on my own? Been there done that! I know that with this surgery i will never weigh 200+ lbs again. So even though it may be too early for me to regret it I personally can't see myself regretting it at any stage.

I just keep thinking how this is major surgery. I'm afraid I might regret having the surgery. I'm 28' 5'1" and 215. I've dropped significant weight and have gained it back so many times. My weight is constantly fluctuating. Do any low BMI-ers regret having the surgery? Or feel the pain and everything wasn't worth it? Or wish they lost it on their own instead?

Thanks in advance for your help :)

Its natural to feel that way,I'm 5'2 weigh 220 and people around me ask "why do you need surgery you're not big enough" and 6 months ago i really tried to lose the weight made it to 208 lbs frustrated and disgusted that I've gained back, I've lost weight numerous times gained back plus more my highest weight is 235, on cpap and taking high blood pressure medications, I'm doing this for my health i don't think I'll regret it , my surgery is in April, I plan to research up to the day of the procedure. I'll also watch for other responses on this subject

Statistically speaking, it's a small group - but of the people with complications that were low BMI to start with, yes, I'd say that I know of at least one, probably a few, that regret the surgery.

That's coupling two VST minorities together: low BMI and complications post op, though.

You have to go in very prepared and having done your research. That applies to everyone, really, but especially to people that have a nagging feeling prior to surgery that they would rather lose without WLS.

I was 242 when I was sleeved. I'm just over 5'1" tall. I wish that I'd had this surgery sooner. It's easy to say that when I had a very easy recovery and reached goal in a good state of mind. But I really mean it. I regret every year I spent obese because I stubbornly insisted that I could lose the weight through dieting.

If you've already exhibited a problem keeping the weight off the sleeve could be right for you. But only you are really going to know if you want to take this very big, very serious step. Surgery includes risk and while it might be a very small percentage of patients that have complications, you will not feel reassured by statistics if you fall into the 1% that does.

Good luck. I love my sleeve and do not for one minute regret having it. But I waited until I was morbidly obese and diabetic to start my journey.

~Cheri

Nope, I am 5'2 and was 207 at the time of surgery. I am now in a healthy weight range and I know I couldn't have done it and been successful without this surgery. I am not quite at goal yet, but honestly I would be happy if I didn't lose another pound. I haven't been the weight I am now since junior high! :) I am glad I did the surgery when I did because that just means I had less weight to lose than if I had waited longer and let my BMI go up more.

Well said clk I'm from a family of obesity i have sleep apnea and hypertension, my brother with congestive heart failure, diabetes and hypertension,my sister dx with type 2 diabetes last year and it goes on and on, I felt that I needed to act on this weight problem because I am so afraid of getting the diabetes and the heart failure dx

Exactly. Is it wiser to wait until you have dieted yourself into a higher BMI or realize that you have proven to yourself that you can't keep the weight off without doing something other than diet & exercise? I too for many many years poo poo'd weightloss surgery as waaaay too radical a solution to a simple "calorie in/calories out" problem. I finally dieted myself up to be a 360 lbs (5'4") old woman who had 3 total knee replacements, high blood pressure, and pre-diabetic.

If I had it to do over I would have had the VSG when I was 20 and weighed 220 and had already been on lots of diets (because it's just a matter of willpower, right?). I haven't sat around doing nothing all this time but, OMG, what my life COULD have been like just boggles my mind.

No do overs! Go for it! And God bless you!

Bmi started at 32 and I don't have a single regret. I haven't had any issues, no complications, and no sensitivities to any food. My blood pressure was high (on meds) and it has gotten better...I will hopefully be off meds soon. I'm in a freakin 6 now from a 16/18. No regrets.

Bmi started at 32 and I don't have a single regret. I haven't had any issues' date=' no complications, and no sensitivities to any food. My blood pressure was high (on meds) and it has gotten better...I will hopefully be off meds soon. I'm in a freakin 6 j now from a 16/18. No regrets.[/quote']

Congratulations

My BMI was 40.5 I had been gaining and losing the same 30 # about 30x over the past 20 years and never got to what I WANT to weigh. I started at 205 highest weight was 215 and I'm 5'0". Now I'm 145 still would like to lose 10-15 more but if I don't O well I still feel alot better than I did 65# ago!!! If I ate just how u was supposed to and exercised regularly I'm sure I'd lose the last bit but either way even if it super slow I'm keeping it off and feeling healthier!!! I'm almost 1 yr. out and really I eat anything I'm in the mood for just much smaller portions than before. It's been great for me NOOO regrets!!'

Thank you for the thread and everyone's posts. I am lower BMI person. My surgery is scheduled for 1/29/2013 down in MX. I am glad you all are validating my reasons for choosing this surgery.

Mary

You can do a search and find more answers to this question as well, but my answer is yes, I regret it. I was 35bmi at time of surgery with no comorbidities. I have a family history of people being overweight but with very few comorbidities and many who lived to or past 100. I have good fat genes :P That said, I have not struggled with weight all of my life, I've actually been a healthy BMI most of it if not a little low when I was in high school because I was very active. So for me, the surgery was basically cosmetic. I wouldn't try to fool myself or anyone else into thinking it was anything else.

We all sign disclosures but I was still told over and over again how easy this was going to be. How I was going to be the poster child for a great outcome, blah blah blah. It's easy to dismiss the disclosures when your doc is saying those are mostly issues for the high BMI group and joking about playing tennis the next week with you. I did research the good and bad sides of this surgery for some time as well as my physician (in the US at a COE).

But for me it all went wrong and when it went wrong it snowballed downwards quickly. I nearly died from this stupid procedure more than once. My lungs collapsed, I had massive bleeding, clots from PICC lines, a very long hospital stay, many ER visits...scary stuff. I regret what I did to my family and friends and what I did to myself. I can't describe the depths one goes to when in terrible pain...I never wished I'd die, but as I was saying to a dear friend last night, I did wish I didn't have a child so I could let myself die at one point.

I'm not that kind of person...but you don't know where you go when you endure so much. You aren't yourself. It's bad. To be fair I have lost weight, but had I have known what I was going to suffer, I'd have gotten off my ass and joined a gym and I would never have had an elective surgery when my son was so young and dependent on me. If you can do it another way, do it!

I think there are people who should have this surgery. But the majority aren't ready nor are they exhausting all other efforts. It's easy and we all like a magic bullet :( Such is the nature of human beings.

I regret it. Im going on 6 wks po. I just feel that I really could of lost this weight on my own. I am hoping by 6mths I will feel different. My starting weight was 208lbs and today I weigh 184lbs. Im happy with my weight loss but I dont think it is worth it. Your life changes whether you want it or not once u have this surgery. I dont understand how anyone can say you need to prepare yourself for it. You have to experience it and then your forced to change your relationship with food. Again, maybe ill feel different at 6mths. I wish I would of just become a vegan. I think id be healthier.

You can do a search and find more answers to this question as well' date=' but my answer is yes, I regret it. I was 35bmi at time of surgery with no comorbidities. I have a family history of people being overweight but with very few comorbidities and many who lived to or past 100. I have good fat genes :P That said, I have not struggled with weight all of my life, I've actually been a healthy BMI most of it if not a little low when I was in high school because I was very active. So for me, the surgery was basically cosmetic. I wouldn't try to fool myself or anyone else into thinking it was anything else.

We all sign disclosures but I was still told over and over again how easy this was going to be. How I was going to be the poster child for a great outcome, blah blah blah. It's easy to dismiss the disclosures when your doc is saying those are mostly issues for the high BMI group and joking about playing tennis the next week with you. I did research the good and bad sides of this surgery for some time as well as my physician (in the US at a COE).

But for me it all went wrong and when it went wrong it snowballed downwards quickly. I nearly died from this stupid procedure more than once. My lungs collapsed, I had massive bleeding, clots from PICC lines, a very long hospital stay, many ER visits...scary stuff. I regret what I did to my family and friends and what I did to myself. I can't describe the depths one goes to when in terrible pain...I never wished I'd die, but as I was saying to a dear friend last night, I did wish I didn't have a child so I could let myself die at one point.

I'm not that kind of person...but you don't know where you go when you endure so much. You aren't yourself. It's bad. To be fair I have lost weight, but had I have known what I was going to suffer, I'd have gotten off my ass and joined a gym and I would never have had an elective surgery when my son was so young and dependent on me. If you can do it another way, do it!

I think there are people who should have this surgery. But the majority aren't ready nor are they exhausting all other efforts. It's easy and we all like a magic bullet :( Such is the nature of human beings.[/quote']

Sorry to hear of your bad experience when there are so few of them posted thanks for your honesty. Did you have the vsg procedure?

I was a 32 bmi and no commordities... Yet. Fought the battle my whole life. Four other members in my family had had one form of wls or another. And I was tiered of fighting and didn't want to end up like them. I had moments of regret right after having it done because no one could prepare me for the break up between me and my relationship with food. That being said I have it done, am seven weeks out and feel great! Down 29 PDs from day of surgery and have to say I don't feel like I'm dieting. It's a miracle I feel full when Ido so now I want to eat what is right for me. I pick healthier choices, will h e a treat here and there and am loving what's to come! I had the plication for my own reasons but come to this forum because of the wealth of info am support here. After all is said and done we are all reaching the same goals right?