Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Lighten up a little...

I've taught psychopathology for over 25 years and I don't believe that article suffers from selection bias or that the results could be applied to the general population at all. There is a far greater incidence of PDs in patients with morbid and super obesity than in the general population.

Furthermore, NurseGrace, I am not here as a staff member or the forum psychologist. Given what's transpired on this thread, that article is entirely apropos and informs a great deal of what the OP complained about. The sharing of that article was not a bastardization of anything despite the fact that my motivation in doing so was obviously over- and multi-determined!

As for your earlier idea about labeling members by their orientation to abstinence vs. moderation, i.e., "different ideas about how closely we follow the guidelines," the only long-term guidelines I received from my surgeon were: 1) no carbonated beverages ever and; 2) no alcohol for at least one year. For the record, I plan to follow both those guidelines religiously. So, please, put me down as "by the book!"

Mason, you obviously have a lot of experience as an educator. I'm a detective and work as a police negotiator. Amongst other things, this at times involves suicide interventions and barricaded sieges with people who often have mental health issues, including depression and PD's .

If what you're alleging is true (that your target audience, this forum, have a 'significantly higher' incidence of PD's, depression and mental health issues) then posting that article here can only be described as reckless.

If what you're alleging is true (that your target audience, this forum, have a 'significantly higher' incidence of PD's, depression and mental health issues) then posting that article here can only be described as reckless.

I am a regular member on these forums without any professional responsibility—as an educator or a psychologist—to other members. Consequently, the posting of that article was not reckless: It was, perhaps, unkind. As a detective, do you have a fiduciary responsibility on this forum to investigate information suggesting the commission of a possible crime?

I am only human. I have been sophomorically attacked and insulted on this thread on several occasions because two to three people took offense to a very general statement that I made that was not directed to anyone in particular. Is there a forum rule somewhere that states I can only respond in kind?

Cheri, I don't know how you've managed to last as long as you have on these forums, but God bless you. From where I'm sitting, it's not worth it.

Hi Mason,luckily dr Al Taie didnt mention the alcohol thing to me at all and somehow I didnt get a booklet from him.?.lol. So I am having a G&T every week.Now I havent followed the threat after I posted as I felt ignored...lol...so I dont know which side of the fence you are..lol.

Myself,I am 75% of the time low carb,20% moderate carbs and 5% of the time I say whatever.Having said that in 10 months I have had 1 alcoholic drink once a week,a bite of a donut,a quarter of a big tasty (minus the bread) a slice of my kids pizza (UAE size not USA size) a little swiss chocolate,a bite of my kids ice cream,a bite of cheese cake,a bite of carrot cake.I have been to at least 40 friday buffets (torture in the beginning I might add) prefer to eat out rather than eat at home.I am low carb some days and higher some days.

In these 10 months I have lost 130 pounds,had some loong stalls (7 weeks while low carbing) AND I HAVE MADE PEACE WITH food and with myself.I still freak out every now and then when I think I might regain in the long term but I know its just the old me trying to get attention..lol.

My housemate ,MD of a company working 16 hour days very often,have found though that low carb is fantastic for her.She has lost 14kg's (gone from size 16 to 8, not US sizes UAE sizes..lol) and she has better memory,more energy,her skin glows,she says she feels alive when she is low carb.She was a real chocoholic before.When I eat like her,I am moody,feel like I have fluff between my ear instead of a brain,am sleepless,constipated and NOTHING can convince me to exercise,too tired all the time.

We also had a third lady staying with us for 6 months.She is a diabetic that had a kidney transplant.She is tall and skinny despite her anti rejection meds that gives her a huge appitite and despite being restricted in her Proteins.She eats huge plates of food though.Really bulks up on veggies and salad (I mean a lot of food!) little Protein and about a quarter of her food is carbs.She walks every day of her life to help control her sugar and she doesnt cut anything out of her diet.

3 different people.3 different issues,3 different results.YOU SHOULD SEE US COOKING!We've had to learn to really respect each others way of eating and we all admire each others persistance in trying to find out what really works best for each of us as individuals.We are all happy,well adjusted and free from the burden food use to be for us. (ok,I still worry some times,but they keep me grounded)

At this point I couldnt care what anyone thinks or says about my eating,I am a raging success IMHO and that is all that counts.I have found what works for me and that is what matters.

Now,I will try to read the whole threat...lol

I love your post! So true!! You hit the nail on the head :)

Me too! That was a perfect reply- your 2 cents is worth at least 2$ 

Now I havent followed the threat after I posted as I felt ignored...

Now, I will try to read the whole threat...

DesertMom, especially in light of the original post, what a wonderfully appropriate Freudian slip this is! Love it. Thanks.

There are so many words being said, but all I hear is, "mine is bigger and better than yours." *totally annoyed by the path this thread has taken. I wish I could get my 20 minutes back that I spent reading this.

And I do think overweight people have more issues like depression and passive agressive behaviour ect ect.....BEING FAT SUCKS!Nothing good about it.Nothing nice about it,nothing great about the way fat people are treated.

But I was born fat,nearly killed my mother and scared the dr to death.When asked if the baby was feeding the dr was told she's devouring (spelling?) the mother!10 pounds 7oz!

Now,did I get depressed because I was fat or fat because I was depressed?

Well,I was on diet practically from birth,mocked,bullied,rejected,hurt beyond measure because I was big.I have developed a self loathing and rejection of myself that can only be regulated with my mind not my feelings no matter the amount of therapy I've had.I suppose I am an extreme case but overweight people have been hurt or rejected because of that at some point.Yes,I did develop so MHI because of all this.

This is difficult subjects without one answer.But dont go away because you pushed some buttons.And dont take this too seriously.it is interesting to see how people interact when the gloves come off.I like your research articles a lot.It is very informative.

I am a regular member on these forums without any professional responsibility—as an educator or a psychologist—to other members. Consequently, the posting of that article was not reckless: It was, perhaps, unkind. As a detective, do you have a fiduciary responsibility on this forum to investigate information suggesting the commission of a possible crime?

I am only human. I have been sophomorically attacked and insulted on this thread on several occasions because two to three people took offense to a very general statement that I made that was not directed to anyone in particular. Is there a forum rule somewhere that states I can only respond in kind?

Cheri, I don't know how you've managed to last as long as you have on these forums, but God bless you. From where I'm sitting, it's not worth it.

Sorry mate - I try to avoid getting wrapped up in these types of threads. I just didn't see the need to post that type of paper here :)

All I know is everyone here has the best intentions at heart. Everyone wants the best for everyone else. The good messages just seems to get lost in everyone trying to divert others away from doing anything their own way.

Again, sorry if I jumped on you.

All the best,

Deano

Lol. Seinfeld could totally have a field day with this thread! The Soup Nazi trying to force feed the Sleeve Nazis! Tune in next week....

People, why isn't this forum pretty much about asking questions and being supportive? No need to be overly- sensitive. No need to be cutting or harsh. No need to be a bully. No need to get on your high horse.

Be kind. Be courteous. Be open minded. Be calm.

Have a cookie! :)

Mason. You're right. You were attacked. Your "very general statement....not directed to anyone in particular" was also an attack. You made some derogatory statements and critical judgements about people you don't know anything about and never bothered to consider that someone here might read that and take it personal. You didn't consider the fact that you might have been talking about people who come on here every day trying to help others and ask nothing in return other than a little respect. And since then you have never owned up to it. You are still down playing it and claiming you are the victim. This whole thread started as another in a long line of threads aimed at ganging up on a particular segment of this community and bashing them...in this case the strict sleeve people. I won't continue to harrass you, but in the future I hope you stop to think about who here you might be insulting before you jump on another band wagon.

My initial post on this thread was a highly critical indictment of the abstinence model in regard to compulsive eating and I have been taking this position professionally since 1985. I have written numerous articles and professional book reviews that have essentially made the very same points. Not once have I ever been attacked by other professionals who also happen to be members of OA or AA or believe that abstinence from sugar, wheat, and alcohol is essential to their own personal recovery (and there are many who do).

I appreciate that this is not a forum for professional people (although there are members with professional degrees) but I am not going to apologize to those who took offense because they live by an unsubstantiated model of recovery that I happen to be critical of and have been professionally critical of for 28 years.

Does my promotion of moderation mean that I am encouraging people to live an unhealthy lifestyle or to subsist on junk food? Of course not and that's a completely disingenuous distortion of what I've written.

I don't see this as a contest or issue between strict vs. "undisciplined?" sleevers. For me, this is strictly a matter of two competing models: disease vs. mental health. I stand behind everything I've written on this thread with the caveat that nothing I wrote was deliberately directed at anyone in particular. If you took offense, then challenge the argument, don't attack the member.

You and Dean are right about one though: I really shouldn't be writing here with professional authority as an academician and then claim "regular member status" when feathers get ruffled and buttons get inadvertently pushed. I have been writing as if I were addressing colleagues, yet another book review, and you and Dean have made me realize that I need to write at all times as if I'm addressing patients, i.e., with a very different kind of sensitivity and mindset.

Quite frankly, that's a burden I rather not assume. I won't be posting on these forums anymore.

Best of luck to everyone in their life's journey towards a healthier and thinner body.

Wow, am I the only person who sleeps on these forums? Some of you are offended by the term "sleeve nazi". I have seen many, many members on these forums refer to people as "stupid", "idiots", "ignorant" and the worst of all "retards". My sister was mentally and physically disabled and I watched people call her those names for years. But, I know that when many people use these same terms on the forums, they are not thinking of them in that manner. They are not meaning to specifically degrade people with a disability. Just as most people nowadays don't think of the Germans, Jews or such when using the term "Nazi", to them it refers to a harshly domineering, dictatorial, or intolerant person. Take things with a grain of salt. If I got offended every time someone referred to those terms I mentioned above because of my sister, I probably would have gone ban happy on these forums by now.