Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

No one believes me that I am going to do this!

This is my whine about no one believing that I will do this. :mellow:

A little background. I have thought of this last October and looked into it a bit. Then over my holiday break I got really serious and found this forum. I know that my insurance will NOT cover me because my BMI is about 34-34.5 (5'8" ~225) and currently have no co-morbidities. I will be going to TJ, Mexico for surgery and hope to schedule a May or June surgery date.

I've told three people. My boyfriend, a co-worker, and an ex co-worker/good friend. They ALL think I've gone totally crazy.

My boyfriend is worried about complications. The insurance I have through my work is crap and of course they don't cover elective surgeries such as this. He's worried that I will have complications and the cost will all have to be out of pocket.

My co-worker smiles at me but she shakes her head no. HA! She thinks this is a bad decision and that I should try to lose my weight with diet and exercise.

My ex co-worker/good friend knows that I'm crazy and thinks I've gone nuttier.

I'm addicted to this forum because I want to prepare myself and get some of the support that I would like.

I am worried about a few things but one in particular. I suffer from depression. I've read more than a few posts saying that after surgery, they had moderate to severe depression. I see my pysh. very soon and will be letting her know my decision and chatting about it. Then I see my regular doc a few weeks after that.

I'm not too worried about the complications. I will talk with my regular doc about that and see what can pass through my insurance without any problems. :ph34r:

I could go on and on but I'll end here. :unsure:

Thanks for reading. Any advice or works of encouragement will be greatly appreciated.

(there sure are a lot of Is in this post)

I just wanted to throw out another possibility for you to ponder. I was in much the same situation as you, similar starting BMI, and an absolute exclusion under my insurance policy (for anyone, of any weight, with any co-morbidities) for bariatric surgery. I wasn't brave enough to consider going out of the country, but I found that I could manage the costs with a local surgeon, and I found one who is covered by BLIS insurance, which takes care of the cost of post-op complications should they arise. I'm a professional worrier, and that gave me a ton of peace of mind that I didn't have to worry about fighting with my insurance company if I ended up with unanticipated medical issues.

I know a lot of people go to Mexico and couldn't be happier, and I have nothing against that, but it's nice to know you have options if you're not totally comfortable going that route.

Best of luck to you, it's an exciting change!

I think a lot of us suffer from depression just from being overweight. But then there are those of us that have it chronically not related to weight. I am one of those ppl. I spoke to the doctor about it and they state that to maintain taking your phych meds and therapy during your journey and as you are doing to become educated on what to expect. I think in the long run once our stomachs get used to the hormone adjustment initially we will be happier ppl not to mention the weight loss won't hurt.. hope this helps!

Do you know if your insurance will cover complications even though they don't cover the surgery? Some do, so it's worth checking into.

As you know, I'm currently in MX and had surgery yesterday and couldn't be doing better, but it's best to be prepared for all possibilities.

Do you know if your insurance will cover complications even though they don't cover the surgery? Some do, so it's worth checking into.

As you know, I'm currently in MX and had surgery yesterday and couldn't be doing better, but it's best to be prepared for all possibilities.

Best of luck to you for a fast, healthy recovery. It only gets better!