Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I was too low on carbs and calories!

I just had my one month post-op visits and I am down about 30 pounds including the one week Pre-op diet. I told the dietician I was frustrated with it being only about 9 pounds lower in the last 3 weeks. I showed her myfitnesspal history on my phone and she said that I am way under on carbs and calories. I explained that I am always getting in my Protein, but no where in my books did it guide me as far as carbs and calories. She said they intentionally do that to not overwhelm people with counting things, but that if I am using myfitnesspal then I am ready. She said to aim for 1000-1200 calories and 150 to 164 in carbs.

Wow!!! I looked back and was so low every day. She explained that if I don't give my body the carbs and calories to use for energy that it will go to my Protein store. In the end I will be losing muscle and storing fat. Good old starvation mode. I was so surprised that I was that far off so I thought I'd share.

I'll let everyone know of the increases make a positive impact on my weight loss. Either way I am happy with being out of the 300's and will Celebrate that!!!

-Kimi

That seems like a lot for carbs. My paperwork said between 60-80 carbs but that is a real struggle for me. It's usually around 80-110. I also use mfp. Maybe I will try to increase my carbs and see if that helps.

Hmm, I was diabetic but I am now in full, remission - however it leaves an imprint, and often I get less than 40g carbs still. Wonder if that is the problem.

I will add another piece of fruit or two a day and see how it goes. Thanks.

I was told to keep to 30gm carbs a day

Hi I am new here, just had my surgery on 12/27/12, at my first dr vist on 1/11/13 I was concurned cause I didnt think I was getting enough food in and my dr told me not to worry about the calories, to just listen to my body and make sure I am eating my protien he never once said anything about carbs,

I have been a slow loser, and Fitness Pal told me to add 160 carbs daily, too. I'm scared to death to add carbs. I added "healthy carbs" to my diet prior to surgery on the advice of my Nut. and gained 8 pounds in one month! I'm sticking to Protein and fluids, even if it's low and slow. I'm 8 weeks out, down 3 sizes, and 23 pounds.

To the original poster, if I had 150 to 164 carbs a day I would gain weight, and quite quickly.

Also, at 4 weeks, I was still on full liquids, so I don't see how you can get 1000-1200 calories at 4 weeks. I was told and I believe many of us were told we are to work up to 800 - 1000 calories. Edited to say 1000-1200 calories when exercising after a few months. I was told that it takes 6-8 weeks for your surgery inside to actually heal, so are you sure the nutritionist is expecting this now? Everyone goes through a little lag period, 30 pounds is a lot of weight for the first month. Are you sure it's 150-164 grams of carbs and not 50-64 grams of carbs?

In the end it's up to you to either follow your nutritionists advice or do what you feel is right for your body. I wish you the best of luck.

Also, to Mommyradd, following myfitnesspal is wonderful, but when it comes to the carbs there are so many things to factor in. #1 it doesn't exactly allow you to input the exact amount or percentages that your doctor or nutritionist wants you to have. For example I was told 800 calories a day, 80 grams of Protein, and 30-40 grams of carbs now. The issue is when you do any exercising, it adds more calories and more carbs etc. I've had it recommend me getting 160 grams of Protein a day based on my exercises, that's just way too much. Sometimes it's best just to get in the amount you feel is right and use myfitnesspal as a tool. I never add the calories, protein, carbohydrates, potassium, fat or sodium it tells me to add.

Best of luck to you guys.

My NUT doesn't want us doing low carb either, especially if you exercise on a regular basis. I can't exercise on low carb and from my google searches there seems to be a lot of other people who can't also. I need carbs for the energy and plus they help me sleep, whereas low carb gives me insomnia and I have 3 kids to deal with......... I need my sleep. My carbs are probably between 50-120g a day, I don't keep track of anything because it makes me obsessive. I do listen to my body and I've never been a binge eater and I'm rarely hungry now. You don't have to eat low carb in order to lose weight. I'm not saying to eat a ton of carbs but carbs aren't as evil as some try to make it out to be.

I just had my one month post-op visits and I am down about 30 pounds including the one week Pre-op diet. I told the dietician I was frustrated with it being only about 9 pounds lower in the last 3 weeks. I showed her myfitnesspal history on my phone and she said that I am way under on carbs and calories. I explained that I am always getting in my protein' date=' but no where in my books did it guide me as far as carbs and calories. She said they intentionally do that to not overwhelm people with counting things, but that if I am using myfitnesspal then I am ready. She said to aim for 1000-1200 calories and 150 to 164 in carbs.

Wow!!! I looked back and was so low every day. She explained that if I don't give my body the carbs and calories to use for energy that it will go to my Protein store. In the end I will be losing muscle and storing fat. Good old starvation mode. I was so surprised that I was that far off so I thought I'd share.

I'll let everyone know of the increases make a positive impact on my weight loss. Either way I am happy with being out of the 300's and will Celebrate that!!!

-Kimi[/quote']

Yeah 150-160 carbs a day sounds like the amount for someone who.hasnt had surgery should be eating.

Guess I should have mentioned that I do regularly exercise and am cleared to go back to the usual routine now. So that might be why I need more. I was so tired all the time. And I was told to eat the good carbs like fruit. So that will mean adding applesauce and fruit cups with my meals even if it takes me two increments to finish a meal. I don't see how I can get to what the NUT said, but I was able to increase the carbs and calories past few days. So I will see how it goes.

I am adding back Water aerobics twice a week this week too so I don't want to be so exhausted. I do think its so cray how some people are still on liquids a month out and others are allowed a lot more even if its still soft. Such extremes.

I wish they would give me a list of what to eat for every meal and snack for the first few months. Sure would make it easier. Ugh.

I think that however many carbs you can eat that will not inhibit your loss is exactly how many you need. Everyone's body is different - and what works for you might not work for me or someone else.

So track as you increase and if you notice a problem, adjust. It's that easy.

I was diabetic prior to surgery and in the first few months kept on avoiding carbs. It was what I thought I had to do. I was barely consuming 400 calories and 40 grams of carbs a day.

My blood sugars were awesome and normal for the first time in forever. But I was also tired, sluggish, moody and felt deprived and resentful because of my strict diet.

Once I started really tracking everything I was eating I found I could eat 700-900 calories a day (anything above 1000 in loss phase and I had trouble losing) and around 60-90 grams of carbs a day - a combination of grains, fruits and veggies. I kept aiming for 90+ grams of Protein daily. For me, this more balanced approached worked wonderfully. I felt better and ditched the diet mentality that had me sniping at my husband all day long. I get cranky when I'm hungry.

This allowed me the control to work on real moderation and overcoming my personal food demons. I encourage everyone to do this. I think many of us get caught on the numbers that our NUT gives us or on numbers we see other people eat. Track, track, track and see what your body can handle and go with that. Because this is your individual journey and you need to make it to goal AND be able to maintain once you get there.

There are folks that can eat 1,500 calories a day and lose weight. I can't. There are folks that have to limit their carbs or they can't lose. It's all too individual for anyone to really be able to advise you on anything except what worked for them.

Good luck. I'm sure you'll do fine. If you pay attention to what your body does best on, that's what works for you. And ultimately, that's all that matters.

~Cheri

I think people also need to remember, that your body processes your fat into the carbohydrates that it needs. The main reason people lose weight so fast is that your body processes the carbohydrates into energy at first. If you aren't taking in carbohydrates, your body looks to the fat stores to convert to carbohydrates into energy.

This is a major surgery, of course most people are going to be tired. I couldn't "work out" for about 8-9 weeks after surgery. I walked, I was allowed in the pool about 7 weeks out, but I had to be very careful.

I can take a little more carbs now, but now my weight loss has slowed, I need to get rid of more carbs to get rid of the fat, especially with the extra exercise. I got a little tired at first when I re-lowered my carbs, but it neutralizes eventually.

carb needs are SOOOO dependent on what kind of lifestyle you have.

To the original poster' date=' if I had 150 to 164 carbs a day I would gain weight, and quite quickly.

Also, at 4 weeks, I was still on full liquids, so I don't see how you can get 1000-1200 calories at 4 weeks.

Best of luck to you guys.[/quote']

Just an FYI.. I start on soft foods the first full day home from the hospital. Surgery on 7/24, went home the next afternoon.... so soft foods on 7/26.

Also, on MFP, you CAN change all of the nutrition goals. I have, anyhow. It makes it so much easier to hit my nutrition targets.

Is there an update to your carb dilemna???

I am at the same point pretty much. 5 weeks out and don't know what to do about carbs!