Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Prilosec/other PPI's - length of use

Hello all,

I was prescribed stomach stuff by my doc in Mexico but have run out of it and am starting to get what might be acid symptoms. I was thinking of trying Prilosec or the Cosco analog, which is cheaper, but both of them say to discontinue use after 14 days. It seems like a lot of folks post-sleeve just use these every day as a fact of life. Is that safe, or is there something I need to do to balance that? I am already taking Multivitamins and Calcium citrate.

In 2011 (before I had VSG) I was having some gastric problems (Doc thought ulcer) and was prescribed Prilosec twice a day. I took it for for a couple of months.

My surgeon did not prescribe it - but I did have hunger 24/7 about a month after surgery and went on it. I asked him if it was safe to take every day and he said it was. Another woman who is a nurse who had surgery the same day as me was told by a dr. she works with that she could take it up to 2 times per day and it is safe.

So yes - from what I've been told by Drs. it is safe. People with GERD take it all the time as a way of life. I don't know how safe it is to take it for years, but for 6 months to a year - I believe it is safe.

There is a YouTube video by someone who said she had VSG and her doc only prescribed Prilosec for 3 months so she stopped taking it and she ended up developing an ulcer because of the excess acid production from the surgery.

The reason that PPO's are recommended (OTC ones that is) for a shorter period of time is that they can mask more serious disorders that need doctor's care like GERD or certain types of cancers. PPO's block the production of the acids that are causing you difficulty. They are regularly prescribed for patients of WLS because our stomach's don't operate at 100% for a period of up to and sometimes longer than, four months. Taking a PPO is not dangerous given that you understand why you are taking it. In this case, you're doing it because of the surgery. My doc routinely advises them to be taken for the first three months after surgery. After that he suggests you test the waters and see if you still need them. At three months I quit and found I needed them for a bit longer so I took them another month. I don't use them any longer. Now if I get an occasional heartburn issue I take the faster acting H2 inhibitors that you can also find over the counter. These are not recommended if you are experiencing issues for more than two or three times a week.

It sounds like you need to get back on a PPO for a bit longer. If you need them beyond 90 days you should probably discuss this with your local health care provider. You do need to watch for possible issues with GERD after this surgery, but early out, it's probably just a part of your healing process. You won't kill yourself by taking them over 14 days :)

I'm 6 months out and take 40mg of Prilosec daily. I don't know when I'll be off of it but it sure does help. I still have bad acid reflux if I don't take it. Mine is prescribed though because the Prilosec sold in stores isn't as strong.

How will you know if you need it? I don't have heart burn but do I need it anyway?

Thanks you guys. that is exactly what I needed to know.

How will you know if you need it? I don't have heart burn but do I need it anyway?

You only need it if you're getting reflux at least once a day.

If you don't have heart burn and you're not taking it, you don't need it. If you are taking it, and you want to see if you still need it, quit taking it and after about 72 hours (it stays in your system for a bit) you will either see that you still don't have heartburn...and thus don't need it, or you will see that you need it because you get frequent and painful heartburn. When or if you do experiment to figure out if you don't need it anymore, be sure to have some H2 inhibitors around the house so that you have some instant relief if you need it. (an H2 inhibitor is the kind of thing that works instantly, verses saying that it will take a day or two to work). (Zantac is an H2 inhibitor).

Thank you!

And I forgot the standard....talk to your doctor...disclosure LOL

Actually my doc said stop when I feel I want to and if I needed more to call for another script.

My son was on PPO's and H2's from the time he was 3lbs. They are great, but often over prescribed so people take them and don't know that they have a much more serious issue, like ulcers, cancer, etc. Even as a baby we went through trial withdrawal periods to see how he could handle it. It's either that or you have regular scopes to make sure you aren't suffering from silent GERD or worse.

BTW if you do take this for long periods of time you should also work with a gastroenterologist. GERD is a side effect of this surgery and you want to ensure you are stopping the disorder verses making it silent (which means you don't urp but your esophagus still is burnt by the acid...you just don't notice). This is not something to worry about until you are out six months or more on the drug and don't see an end in sight.

If you still feel symptoms OTC omeprazole (generic Prilosec) is the most common one used here. It's the most effective one I've used.

I only needed mine for 4-6 months post op. I was on one pill daily for four months, then slowly started to wean off by skipping days over the next two months. Now that I'm pregnant, I'm back on one as the acid is a killer.

Be aware that the signs of needing a PPI aren't only heartburn or acid reflux. If you notice an increase in stomach gurgling AND you feel like you're hungry you'll likely need a PPI for a bit longer. I say both because every new sleeve is noisy. It's a concern if it's accompanied by the feeling of hunger.

It's easy for even vets like myself to miss it or mistake it but overproduction of acid in a tiny sleeve feels the exact same as a hungry, growling tummy felt prior to surgery. So keep that in mind if it comes up.

Only take your PPI if you need it, of course, but in the case of the sleeve, it's totally normal to need/take a PPI anywhere from 4 months to a year post op. And some unlucky folks need them for the long haul.

Good luck,

~Cheri

Thank you for posting the possibility of hunger feeling as a possible indicator to take Prilosec. I am almost 5 weeks out and feel like I'm always hungry. I will eat something and then 20 minutes later, I'm hungry again. I find myself mixing different things up when I do eat which then makes me feel nauseous and gassy and constipated. I don't have heatburn, but if not careful, food will try to come up. I was concerned about taking anything else, because the other side effect I fear is stomach cramping due and diaherra. Another problem that I've had. I will try the Prilosec and hoping it will solve the hunger pains.

Thank you for posting the possibility of hunger feeling as a possible indicator to take Prilosec. I am almost 5 weeks out and feel like I'm always hungry. I will eat something and then 20 minutes later, I'm hungry again. I find myself mixing different things up when I do eat which then makes me feel nauseous and gassy and constipated. I don't have heatburn, but if not careful, food will try to come up. I was concerned about taking anything else, because the other side effect I fear is stomach cramping due and diaherra. Another problem that I've had. I will try the Prilosec and hoping it will solve the hunger pains.

Good on you for researching and finding a possible solution. No need to suffer if you can do something simple that can help.

I hope the PPI helps and what you're describing sounds exactly like how I felt once I got pregnant. Early post VSG I felt the acid and heartburn that let me know it was an acid problem. But this time around it started with me feeling hungry all the time. A few days on the PPI and even the occasional nighttime heartburn isn't an issue any longer.

Good luck,

~Cheri

I'm 5 weeks out and I take a 40mg capsule of Prilosec each morning. I had a hiatal hernia repair also. No trouble with heartburn ever. Since surgery I have only been nauseated one time and I think from Vitamins. I am in liquids until 1/31/13. I open the capsule and empty the contents into a spoonful of Poweade zero. I have been really pleased with how good my stomach has felt though noisy. If only I could poop! TMI. Lol

Well this is day 2 (actually 1st full day on Prilosec). I still have the "hungry" feeling, hard to describe but its' there just behind my top ribcage. Today I had one egg, with pureed shrimp and a little shredded chedar cheese. I got everything down, but it was fighting to come up. Another I didn't know whether I was going to poop, vomit or both. As it turned out I did both. Not a lot of vomiting though. I think it was taking the morning meds so soon before eating. I've got figure out a routine with these meds. chewable vitamins (yuck), think I'm ready for the pills now, chewable caltrate, vit D (I have a deficiency), prilosec and depression meds. A lot of stuff was rumbling around inside, right before I ate. Well good news after I had my little bathroom visit, I walked on the eliptical for about 15 minutes. Actually I felt pretty good after that; exhausted - but felt ok. Drank some Water. I'm still having very hard time getting all Protein and water in. I know I'm not getting even half of what I'm supposed to - Ahhh the struggle and journey continues.