Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Do you ever regret your surgery?

Don't get me wrong - I was sleeved on Oct 22 and am overall pleased with my weight loss... But sometimes, I wonder... I was on liquid Protein for five weeks straight... anyone who is on Liquid Protein for five weeks straight would lose weight.

I am now on a semi-Adkins like diet...No more than 30 grams of carbs and at least 60-75 grams of Protein daily.. I average about 750-800 calories per day. Anyone who ate 800 calories a day would lose weight.

I am on the treadmill EVERY morning for 45 min... again - anyone doing this would lose weight.

I guess when I *do* have the issues - and I am extremely lucky - I have had very little complications - I just wonder if I could have done this same behavior modification without surgery and lost weight.

Part of me says, without the surgery and my appetite being suppressed, I wouldn't have stuck with it. But another part of me wonders if I could have. If I could have done all of the above without permanently losing a big chunk of my anatomy and having to eat really really really slow or throw up or get indigestion... And, I feel like if I had done this without surgery, it would feel like more of an accomplishment. Don't get me wrong - this has still been really really hard... but I still feel like I had a leg up with the surgery.

I don't know... am I the only one who feels like this sometimes?

NO, I was sleeved 10/10 and down 101lbs, (50lbs pre-op) my only regret is that I didn't do it sooner!

Not one regret. I'd do it again today. I'd pay for it again today.

No. I think most of us have tried this kind of thing without surgery and found it impossible to stick to. The sleeve makes it possible. I had a lap band before my sleeve (2007) and was just revised 3 weeks ago. I experienced life with my band working (lost 70 lbs, rarely hungry) and life after my band failed (regained almost all of it). This is better than my best days with the band. I don't regret it at all, but I certainly have a bit of grief for the things I can't eat now. It's part of the process.

The only time I regret it is when I'm out for a fancy meal and can only eat a small portion of it, and it takes me all night to drink one glass of wine. But then the upside is I have leftovers for several days. And whenever I look in the mirror I realize that's a VERY small price to pay to be healthy again.

I think you have to look at your own history. I asked myself the same questions (getting sleeved Feb. 4). My dieting history suggests I can stick with something for about 6 months. I know I would lose about 60lbs (but I need to lose twice that). Whenever I've had success I swear I'm going to maintain the new weight, but I haven't. Without the sleeve, I know I'll work really hard and lose some weight but not enough, and be contemplating the sleeve again in two years. That's 2 years of additional health problems.

I am not sleeved yet however, i have NO problem losing weight. I have always been able to lose the weight but keeping it off is a different story! I am pretty sure we have all been on MANY MANY MANY diets and can teach a class on the does and don't of weight loss. However, we or sould i say I do not have the will power to do it on my own. The sleeve is a TOOL we still have to work at losing the weight, but the sleeve is our little personal trainer of food when we eat something we are not supposed to it will let us know! I have been Protein Shakes since October and everyone at work keeps asking are you sure you want to have surgery you are doing so well on the shakes my answer to them is I know myself. I Know I CAN NOT live off the shakes for the rest of my life. I know i can not live off of 800 cals a day either.

Good comments, all... I agree - I have lost weight before, but could never KEEP it off... I needed to hear that from people who "get it". :o)

I tell you what... there ARE some days when I don't feel like I am losing enough or fast enough or I am not seeing the changes in my body that I would like to see change and then my husband wants pizza or Wendy's for dinner and I just look at him and go...

"Some days I swear to god I should have just stayed FAT AND ENJOYED THE DAM BACONATOR!!!"

So to answer your question?? YES! There are some days when I absolutely regret it but I think it's more of a teenaged rebellion type feeling even though I am 27 with two kids and have been married for almost 6 years lol. I think if I were older or had more health problems prior to the surgery I might feel differently but I was textbook healthy beforehand except for being morbidly obese. It brings back all those thoughts of only doing it for vanity's sake and wanting to do things without feeling like I was the elephant in the room (pun intended)

There are also days, like when I get to throw away "fat clothes" or when I have no appetite at all or when I think I am starving and instead am satisfied off of two tablespoons of food that I couldn't be happier with my choices.

Don't get me wrong - I was sleeved on Oct 22 and am overall pleased with my weight loss... But sometimes' date=' I wonder... I was on liquid Protein for five weeks straight... anyone who is on Liquid Protein for five weeks straight would lose weight.

I am now on a semi-Adkins like diet...No more than 30 grams of carbs and at least 60-75 grams of Protein daily.. I average about 750-800 calories per day. Anyone who ate 800 calories a day would lose weight.

I am on the treadmill EVERY morning for 45 min... again - anyone doing this would lose weight.

I guess when I *do* have the issues - and I am extremely lucky - I have had very little complications - I just wonder if I could have done this same behavior modification without surgery and lost weight.

Part of me says, without the surgery and my appetite being suppressed, I wouldn't have stuck with it. But another part of me wonders if I could have. If I could have done all of the above without permanently losing a big chunk of my anatomy and having to eat really really really slow or throw up or get indigestion... And, I feel like if I had done this without surgery, it would feel like more of an accomplishment. Don't get me wrong - this has still been really really hard... but I still feel like I had a leg up with the surgery.

I don't know... am I the only one who feels like this sometimes?[/quote']

I can't believe this... Not to be funny but if it was all so easy none of us would be here . If all of us had that much self control we wouldn't have gained that much weight.End of day it's a tool to curb our appetite you are feeling full cause part of your tummy that produces a Hormone that sends signal to the brain that you are hungry has been removed. Also your stomach is 90 % smaller. All the confidence you are feeling is because of the weightloss due to surgery.End of day it's your own will but you are getting so much help from this tool to achieve your goals.Good Luck

Sent from my iPhone 5 using VST

I tell you what... there ARE some days when I don't feel like I am losing enough or fast enough or I am not seeing the changes in my body that I would like to see change and then my husband wants pizza or Wendy's for dinner and I just look at him and go...

"Some days I swear to god I should have just stayed FAT AND ENJOYED THE DAM BACONATOR!!!"

So to answer your question?? YES! There are some days when I absolutely regret it but I think it's more of a teenaged rebellion type feeling even though I am 27 with two kids and have been married for almost 6 years lol. I think if I were older or had more health problems prior to the surgery I might feel differently but I was textbook healthy beforehand except for being morbidly obese. It brings back all those thoughts of only doing it for vanity's sake and wanting to do things without feeling like I was the elephant in the room (pun intended)

There are also days, like when I get to throw away "fat clothes" or when I have no appetite at all or when I think I am starving and instead am satisfied off of two tablespoons of food that I couldn't be happier with my choices.

i was sleeved on 1/9 and had no prior health problems either (I'm 23). I seriously have been thinking I should have just stayed fat and kept eating what I wanted because I'm seriously missing it right now. I start full liquids tomorrow but I'm still not too excited. And I'm terrified for real food - I am terrible at eating slowly. It will definitely be a hard lesson to learn.

Hi strange fruit!

We can do this other ways and lose! I have done this same Diet before and lost all my extra weight and then some. I've done lots of diets that work!

after my son was born I went on a doctor supervised diet (800 liquid calories a day) worked great but then after losing it all again the "diet" ended and here I am again...

So this is extreme but I think sometime that's needed :)

I am not sleeved yet however' date=' i have NO problem losing weight. I have always been able to lose the weight but keeping it off is a different story! I am pretty sure we have all been on MANY MANY MANY diets and can teach a class on the does and don't of weight loss. However, we or sould i say I do not have the will power to do it on my own. The sleeve is a TOOL we still have to work at losing the weight, but the sleeve is our little personal trainer of food when we eat something we are not supposed to it will let us know! I have been Protein shakes since October and everyone at work keeps asking are you sure you want to have surgery you are doing so well on the shakes my answer to them is I know myself. I Know I CAN NOT live off the shakes for the rest of my life. I know i can not live off of 800 cals a day either.[/quote']

How can you know for sure unless you try it ??????? No one lives of shakes for the rest of life Neither they have to survive on 800 cals a day eventually you will need around 1200 calories and you will be able to eat regular food.< /p>

Sent from my iPhone 5 using VST

I have some measure of regret every day. I feel like the OP, that I could have done this on my own so far, and my wife is in my ear daily telling me the same thing. I do know that eventually I would stall (with or without the surgery) and get discouraged and feel hopeless. Without the surgery I would just cave into those feelings, like always, and start gaining it all back. My hope is that with the surgery, I won't be as prone to (or as able) to sabotage myself that way and that I will at least have a shot at maintaining whatever weight loss I acheive. I know for a fact that if I lost it on my own (been there, done that) I would not be able to maintain forever and I would be one bad week away from stuffing myself or carbing out and starting down the path to regain. So yes I have second thoughts (especially while I'm stalled here) and wonder what I could have done on my own if I really applied myslef one last time, but I am also hopeful that this tool I have been given will keep me on track long term and if a miracle happens and I reach goal, it will make it easier to maintain that goal.