Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

question for everyone, please answer

How many people go to a fill doctor that uses neither ultrasound or fluoroscopy to find the port and just relies on "feeling" for it. I am curious to know what is the general standard on this

My doctors office ALWAYS uses fluoroscopy. He has the machine right there in his office. I sometimes am a little sore the next day.

Hello everyone!!!! My surgery was 9/28/06 and I just had my first fill today. My doc performed a blind fill.....he's good.....the whole thing lasted less than a minute. He smeared on some Lidocaine, held that little port down, inserted the needle, injected 1cc and slapped on a band-aid. I didn't even have time to feel any pain... I thought it was going to be much worse than it was. Very pleased and not bad at all. My doc had me drink a 1/2 cup of Water to see if everything was alright, and I was in my car and back to work. My second fill is in four weeks. I have lost a total of 22lbs with a starting weight of 240lbs.

I have had several fills. The Dr. just feels and fills and I have never had a problem....as a matter of fact, I barely feel the needle being iserted.

Carol

I go to Dr C for fills and he didn't use flouro for me though he will and does if needed. He had to do one fill and two slight unfills on me and found the port the first time every time. Admittedly I do have very minimal abdominal fat though and my port is quite easy to feel so not using flouro might be easier on someone such as myself.

My surgeon does it "blind" and has never needed to do it more than once. He is always on target. If I had someone poking me, more than once, then I would encourage a fluro.

Shawn

I've seen 3 lap band surgeons and they all do blind fills unless you are super-obese or carry all your weight around the abdomen..... if they can't feel the port they can't do a blind fill.

Mine does it completely by feel - I get ladicain to numb the area first, though...I figure if it's the worst I have to go through for these results, I'm fine with it. I think they use the flouro as a last resort at my clinic.

Fluoro for me. I just had my first fill and it was interesting to see the liquids I was drinking pass through the band. Eventhough it's more expensive I like that fact that he could tell my band and stomach were looking good...I was banded not that long ago so it was comforting.

I haven't had a flouro fill - my first fill was by feel and a little tight = the unfill was by feel...and I know its time for a second fill - my doc is banded too and I trust her! (not my surgeon)

I go to Dr. Curry in Cincinnati for my fills and all have been done by feel. I have had 3 fills and all 3 times it was done in seconds. My port is positioned well and easily found but he would use Flouro if need be.

How many people go to a fill doctor that uses neither ultrasound or fluoroscopy to find the port and just relies on "feeling" for it. I am curious to know what is the general standard on this

My doctor did it blind, first he fished around with his hands for the port then he used a numbing agent. There is an Ultra sound machine in the room and I did ask if he was going to use it he said he did not have to.