Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

effects of post-op gallbladder removal

I am 6 1/2 months post-op and found out Friday that I need to have my gallbladder removed. I am wondering what kind of effects, good or bad, this will have on me, my diet and my weight loss post-sleeve.

Has this surgery had any effect on your average weight loss?

How do the pre- and post-op diets for surgery fit with the sleeve's diet plan?

Will this help with the constant gas and belching I have?

What is recovery like compared to the sleeve?

Anything you have found that helps with symptoms and attacks before surgery?

The good thing is my bariatric surgeon is doing the gallbladder removal as well. I don't have to worry about someone in there who isn't familiar with my "compromised" anatomy. Since I've been going through this most medical professionals I've come across are not at all familiar with VSG and that worries me.

I'm not looking forward to another surgery but I am relieved this pain is going to go away. (I'm in the middle of an attack right now and it's hell!)

I had my gall bladder removed at almost 5 months post-op. I thought this surgery was worse than the vsg surgery. My weight loss has slowed down, but I also think that is because now I am eating pretty regular again just small amounts. I am down 95 pounds since April and I am happy with my results. I never had any attacks because I showed stones on a sono so they just scheduled me to have it out. Good luck!

I am 6 1/2 months post-op and found out Friday that I need to have my gallbladder removed. I am wondering what kind of effects' date=' good or bad, this will have on me, my diet and my weight loss post-sleeve.

Has this surgery had any effect on your average weight loss?

How do the pre- and post-op diets for surgery fit with the sleeve's diet plan?

Will this help with the constant gas and belching I have?

What is recovery like compared to the sleeve?

Anything you have found that helps with symptoms and attacks before surgery?

The good thing is my bariatric surgeon is doing the gallbladder removal as well. I don't have to worry about someone in there who isn't familiar with my "compromised" anatomy. Since I've been going through this most medical professionals I've come across are not at all familiar with VSG and that worries me.

I'm not looking forward to another surgery but I am relieved this pain is going to go away. (I'm in the middle of an attack right now and it's hell!)[/quote']

I had my gallbladder out 1 month before my SVG. No special diet, very similar recovery. I had some gas after the gall bladder removal, but it only lasted a week or two.

My surgeon was even able to use the same incisions.

I think your sleeve diet will work in your favor, you will process fats a little differently, so being low fat anyway you will not feel much different.

For me , in the midst of an attack either walking around helped or if laying down, deep,slow breaths helped a little.

Good luck!

I've heard stuff about stomach problems after... excessive diarrhea and whatnot... anyone experience that?

Me too. I've heard of stomach issues after GB removal. I just had mine out this past Wednesday emergency surgery. I was wondering also,

how other sleevers have faired after this type of surgery and how it has affected their diet, activities, and life in general.

How are you feeling? Found out today that I'm going in February 4th!

Well, I seem to be doing ok. I had terrible pain in my right shoulder since I came home from the hospital but it seems to have moved down to the middle of my back now and it's not hurting as badly as it was.

The pain from surgery is very similar to when I had my sleeve done- a little less than that actually.

I have 4 incisions- one in the naval, one about 2cm in the middle of my chest and 2 very small ones on the

right side lower than my naval.

I'm not exactly sure what to eat because for the past year and a half I've been very focused on what I can eat with my sleeve. They weren't very forthcoming about what exactly I should eat at the hospital- they just basically said low fat. The morning after surgery the Breakfast tray they brought in had bacon, scrambled eggs,

oatmeal, orange juice, coffee, and a biscuit on it. I ate the bacon and 2 bites of the eggs and a few sips of the coffee and I was full. That's basically my normal type of breakfast. They also brought me some grahm crackers with grape juice and a ginger ale for snack.< /p>

Now- I don't ever drink ginger ale- or eat graham crackers or biscuits or oatmeal- and so I didn't eat those things- I'm on a full liquid diet right now because I got sick after eating. But I seem to be tolerating everything well now.

I normally eat string cheese liberally, babybel cheese, cottage cheese with a lil Unjury Protein Powder, boars head meats, greek yogurt. I like chicken, steak, occasionally pork, fish, shrimp, crab- those sorts of things- a little

veggies and on occassion fresh fruits- like grapes, strawberry, apple etc.

I'm hoping I can continue with my normal diet. That's been working fine for me. I generally eat lower carb and

higher Protein. Altho I'm not trying to lose weight right now- I seem to feel just fine on that sort of diet- my sleeve likes it.

I'm hearing all these stories of digestive problems for life- and that one can never again eat fat or fried foods-

and constant diarrhea and I'm thinking what in the world????

If there is such a problem why are so many people walking around saying the gall bladder is a non essential organ and it's not that big of a deal to have to have it removed?

I go in for my post op follow up on Friday. I will write a list of questions to ask the Dr.

But I'd sure like to know what to eat that is sleeve friendly and I'd like to know how others have faired who were

sleeved and also had their gall bladder out.

Right now, I'm still taking percocet for pain and I've added a digestive enzyme to my daily suppliments.

I'm still taking all of my regular Vitamins and suppliments like Iron, Calcium, B12 and that sort of thing.

Just found this thread... I had my sleeve surgery April 16th and two weeks before Christmas I started having terrible pains under my breastbone. I called my surgeon (Dr. Ariel Ortiz) and he told me to ask my PCP here in the states for an Upper GI and a Gall Bladder scan. My PCP agreed and I was when the tech was scanning my gall bladder she said that it was full of stones... My stomach and everything else looked great!! So, I saw a surgeon and we scheduled to take it out on January 16th. 9 months to the day of my sleeve surgery. I had lost 120lbs since my sleeve surgery and from what I gather a lot of folks tend to have gall bladder issues after a rapid or large weight loss.

I will say this.... I was in terrible pain after my gall bladder surgery... for the first 2-3 days I could barely move my midsection was sooooo sore plus I had a few gas pockets that had to break loose. My sleeve surgery was a piece of cake compared to this!! I had no pain, no gas, NADA when I had my surgery in Mexico. So.. today is day 5 post-op and I haven't had to take any pain meds in 2 days... I feel pretty much back to normal. I have 4 small incisions but they are bigger than my sleeve incisions which I only have 3 of.

I am just glad to have it out.. I was having daily attacks for about 3 weeks and it was honestly the worst pain I have EVER felt.....

Just wanted to add my two cents! :)

Take Care!

I had mine removed with the VSG surgery, when I went to have it scanned during my approval process it was full of stones and some were the size of hazelnuts(at least that's what the report said) I do have some dumping like symptoms sometimes and any type of sugary or fatty/oily food runs right through me so I stay away from that. It hasn't slowed my weight loss I have still lost 81 pounds in 10months and am only 5 pounds from goal. I can imagine its probably more painful to get it done after VSG surgery, which is why my surgeon suggested just taking it out during surgery as I hadn't had any attacks yet but he stressed that due to the rapid weight loss many people have to get it removed months after they have surgery anyway as they start having attacks and they are unbearably painful.