Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Almost at 1 year...stalled & DISCOURAGED!

I'll be at my year on Jan 23rd and lost 75lbs the first 6 months but have gone up and down the same 3 lbs since. I lost my job 5 months ago and I know it's taken a major toll, I don't have a set daily regiment and with hunger back (not to mention nothing makes me sick) I graze :(

I'm frustrated, discouraged & fear my stomach has stretched back out. Freely soliciting lots & lots of advice & motivation!!!!!!!!

I understand how you feel!! I was just notified on Monday that my job was being eliminated and the first thing I thought about was grabbing something to eat. Instead, I headed to the gym. If you are going up and down the same 3 lbs the past 6 months then you have found your maintenance calorie range so now you just have to either decrease the calories or increase your exercise. You can do this!!!

I'm sure life has been stressful, and it's extra hard being home all day with food and not enough to keep you busy, but you can get back on track.

Here are my suggestions:

(1) Spend some time really thinking about why you had the surgery, your goal weight, and the benefits of being there. Really focus on what you're trying to achieve.

(2) When you eat, focus on dense Proteins to combat hunger. meat or fish rather than yogurt or Protein Shakes. Really pay attention to your food when you're eating. Add veggies if you need to feel more full.

(3) Figure out how to get carbs out of your diet, they only make you hungrier and slow down your weight loss. Eliminate what you can, and look for substitutes for the things that are hardest to give up.

(4) Track your food and exercise and weight using something like MyFitnessPal - it can help you focus on what you're trying to achieve

(5) When you're done with a meal, set a timer and make yourself wait before you start drinking, and don't have anything else to eat until you've gotten your Water in. I really find a timer helps me postpone eating and get back into a good routine and cut snacking. If you're struggling, chew gum, or give yourself a task to do for the next 20 minutes, anything to delay the urge.

(6) Set some small, achievable, measurable goals, like getting at least 75 grams of Protein in every day this week, or walking at least 20 minutes every day this week. Every goal you succeed at builds your confidence that you can do this, that you can get back on track.

(7) If you find yourself snacking when you're not hungry, find another way to comfort yourself. Listen to some music you enjoy, or get out and get some fresh air, or play with the dog, or whatever makes you happy.

You can do this! I got to within 5 pounds of goal and got sloppy with my eating and have spent the past 9 months bouncing within an ever-larger range. But this is going to be my year. I've found a supplement that helps me with appetite, I've gotten the carbs back out of my diet, I'm back on track with exercise, and my head back in the game. I WILL get to goal, and you can too!

I understand what you mean about turning to food and not having a daily regimen. My boyfriend and I broke up last week and ever since I have wanted to take comfort in food and have lacked the motivation to work out. This, combined with painful gallbladder attacks (surgery coming soon), has made it difficult to hit my goals for Water, Protein and working out. I want to sleep and eat but I know this is not the answer. Luckily, I haven't gained any weight yet.

Also, I am a teacher so I understand when you do not have a specific routine it is really easy to not prioritize your sleeve's needs. I was sleeved in June and never developed a regimen over the summer for my eating. I feel like I wasted the first few good months I had for weight loss. However, once I started back to school it got much easier. Over winter break I fell victim to grazing again. I've also been unemployed so I understand the depression and lack of energy that comes with.

BUT... why don't you start your own routine? It will not only help with your weight loss but also your mental health. Set your alarm and get up at the same time everyday. Plan to eat Breakfast at one time. Do your errands, go to the gym or walk, take care of family and kids (if applicable), apply for jobs- all at set times throughout the day. That way, even if you are home most of the day you have some routine to follow. And, of course, plan your meals ahead of time. That has been the biggest help for me. I have a spreadsheet I update every Sunday with my meals for the week. I don't stick to it 100% but it helps to have an idea. I also recommend MyFitnessPal. It's nice to see evidence of your hard work if it's not showing on your body. Meeting my goals on there is just positive reinforcement and motivation daily.

Good luck!

What supplement would that be escape?

Sent from my iPhone using VST

Ashley,

The main one I'm taking is L-Glutamine. It's an amino acid that some people find helps with carb cravings, and I find it reduces my appetite overall as well, and it's good for post-workout muscle recovery too! Take a look at any of Maria Emmerich's books on nutrition and supplements, or The Diet Cure by Julia Ross for more info, or send me a message.

Thank you all so much. I started the 2 week pre-op diet (mostly a slim fast diet) again this morning and while doing it during "that time of the month" was dumb, I've had all Protein all day! Thanks for the advice!!! I truly hope this makes me more close to my pouch again and kick the losing back in, thankfully I haven't gained!

Just one more suggestion.Some people keep cut veggies around to snack on.I feel like Im on diet if I do that.I keep strips of cooked chicken or veal or stirfry beef close as that fills me up and satisfies me when I have that sudden "want" to eat that I sometimes just cannot resist.

And I know we shoudlnt snack,but when Im stressed I do.But I snack on carb free unprossed Proteins and sugarfree popcicles if I have to.

Keep it up and figure out what works best for you!

Ashley,

The main one I'm taking is L-Glutamine. It's an amino acid that some people find helps with carb cravings, and I find it reduces my appetite overall as well, and it's good for post-workout muscle recovery too! Take a look at any of Maria Emmerich's books on nutrition and supplements, or The Diet Cure by Julia Ross for more info, or send me a message.

Thank you, I've been having horrible carb cravings (well I kinda always have) but it would be nice if something could help some.