Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Now that I've made my deposit, secured my plane tickets, applied for my passport, and started my preop diet... I'm freaking out. I'm trying to talk myself down but I'm feeling overwhelmed.

I'm scared. I have sleep apnea, which I've disclosed, but I'm terrified it won't be handled properly. That I will suffocate under the anesthesia. That they will forget to put my cpap on me in recovery. That I will die or have brain damage.

The anxiety is keeping me awake at night. I am so overwhelmed.

Amanda Rae

I have had 7 surgeries with my cpap...they are always prepared...try not to worry...they see it all the time.. you're going to be fine :)

Amanda nerves are common place with any procedure. You will be just fine. I have severe sleep apnea and was concerned about the same issues. It will work out for you. It's time to take your life back and charge forward

It's all so overwhelming... Most of the time I'm confident about this... But sometimes... Ya know?

Amanda Rae

Believe me Amanda, we all know what you are going through. Stay positive and keep pushing. It's well worth it in the end. I'm pretty new to the adventure but you know that we are all in this together

I'm not sure I'm doin this right! I am potentially going to go ro mexico for vs through a Medical Tourism liaison rhis mean I pay an additional fee to have someone come with me make sure I'm walking and doing everything. have support when I come home bia nutritional ist and a few personal training apt monthly support meeting and photo shoot at the end goal is this all good for 1050, 00 rhats for everything

also i have a 1 year ols and 3 yr old to run aft err when I get home .is this doable after surgery if I take it easy of course . I'm so excited and so scared at the same time my husband thinks its a big mistake and all I need is self controle lol he's skinny obviously! lol hes worried about mexico

It's all so overwhelming... Most of the time I'm confident about this... But sometimes... Ya know?

Amanda Rae

You have always been so confident and sure of yourself Amanda, I am a little surprised about how you are reacting but we all have "what if" thoughts the closer we get to surgery. I have seen you give some really good advice to people on this forum, step back and give yourself some advice. You are well prepared for this journey and you will be fine!

AmandaRae....you've got this! Contact your coordinator and talk with them about this. Make sure they understand it's a big deal for you and ask them how it's handled. Hopefully that will bring you some measure of peace.

Before/during/after the surgery, you will be hooked up to many monitors - including blood oxygen monitoring on your finger. You won't be oxygen starved, if there is an issue, they will address it. You are going to ROCK this surgery. Seriously, you are so prepped and knowledgable, you could probablly ASSIST with a surgery! Ha!

Second guessing is normal - I know I have a lot of "inner discussion" with myself. Plus you have a few weeks to go. Sending good vibes your way. I'm glad you are so well informed and on top of all this...you are going to have a great surgery outcome. Hugs to you my friend!

You have always been so confident and sure of yourself Amanda' date=' I am a little surprised about how you are reacting but we all have "what if" thoughts the closer we get to surgery. I have seen you give some really good advice to people on this forum, step back and give yourself some advice. You are well prepared for this journey and you will be fine![/quote']

90% of the time I'm good. Great even. But when that doubt gets it a foothold it is strong... I did chat with a coordinator last night. She explained how sleep apnea is handled. All patients are intubated during surgery. And they will put my cpap on me in recovery. She reminded me the surgery is short.

I guess I needed to freak out for a minute, rather than agonize over it internally...

Amanda Rae

AmandaRae....you've got this! Contact your coordinator and talk with them about this. Make sure they understand it's a big deal for you and ask them how it's handled. Hopefully that will bring you some measure of peace.

Before/during/after the surgery' date=' you will be hooked up to many monitors - including blood oxygen monitoring on your finger. You won't be oxygen starved, if there is an issue, they will address it. You are going to ROCK this surgery. Seriously, you are so prepped and knowledgable, you could probablly ASSIST with a surgery! Ha!

Second guessing is normal - I know I have a lot of "inner discussion" with myself. Plus you have a few weeks to go. Sending good vibes your way. I'm glad you are so well informed and on top of all this...you are going to have a great surgery outcome. Hugs to you my friend![/quote']

Thank you for the good vibes.

I guess this is the best place to have a panic attack. I've got everyone here to talk me through it. It helps. A lot.

I almost didn't post my worries but I am glad I did.

Amanda Rae

Also, thanx to those who commented that have sleep apnea too. It helped hearing from everyone.

Amanda Rae

I just had a colonoscopy last week and I was scared of the anesthesia, too. Talking to the anesthesiologist and asking the questions I was really afraid to ask helped tremendously. I'm scared of the same things you are, but I have always found the best way to deal with fear is knowledge and information. Also, go to http://www.reddit.com/r/progresspics/ and look at all these people who have lost major amounts of weight and how awesome they look. I don't know how many of them are WLSers, but it helps to remind me why I am taking the chance to go to a foreign country and have this surgery.

Just remember that they work with overweight wonderful people everyday, it's their business and they've learned the best ways to deal with things like limited mobility, specific health needs like cpap for apnea, high bloodpressure, diabetes, etc.

I had my own freak out this week, mine was regarding needing a wheelchair to get around long distances. I have a back injury that has kept me wheelchair bound for long distances but I can get up and walk in short bursts after surgery so that shouldn't be a problem. I was just worried about fitting a wheelchair in for the ride across the border, etc. I've seen posts where people have said the van was packed. So I freaked, what if I couldn't have my chair like I needed!? My husband calmly brought me back down to earth and reminded me that it's their job to make us comfortable on this journey.

I spoke to my coordinator and feel much better. <3 between alma and all you lovely posters I think I can do this and I know you can Amanda! ^_^ Sending lots of love and good thoughts your way for an easy journey.

I had insomnia last night. Had just wrapped up a convo regarding sleep apnea and anesthesia risks with an untested preop WLS buddy. Also, I recently had an incident where I had dozed off sans cpap and had an apnea moment that startled me awake... Needless to say it was like a worm in my brain that grew and dug in... A recipe for a perfect storm of worry... And I panicked... Fortunately I have all of you here, and ALM coordinator, Janese, was online late last night. I messaged her my worries and her response was immediate. And reassuring. Just like all of you. Thanx again.

Amanda Rae