Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Food will not be the end of me!

It is incredible how time flies, how I'm 7 wks from from my surgiversary and I've lost 90 lbs. I started this journey at 238 and I'm currently 148. Originally I was set on getting to 120 lbs, but to be honest as my body has readjusted it is clear that 120 would make me look sickly, it been easy and tough and emotional and life changing and now I'm at the scared out of my mind point. Things seemed magical and easy the first 6 months and then the swelling and stomach/ body adjustments made it harder and not to mention the brain that can't get the cravings of fried goodness to disappear. Sure I've modified my life greatly but now the reality of life is hitting, the weight is off I feel great and I want to live normally and eternally keep the weight off! To never ever taste fried chicken in my life again or icecream or have drinks impossible I'm only human, and 30 years of feed my body the awfully bad things yet so good tasting is the hardest habit to break. Sure you would say" just grow up and deal" but this journey at the one year point is just the beginning, it's like the honey moon is coming to its end and reality of daily life and my til death do us part relationship with food is becoming soo scary! I want to reach my goal of 100lbs total loss at my surgiversary but as it nears I realize how much harder and how much more comited I must become! Til death do us part a relationship of ups and downs with food, and I just keep reminding myself how the work will never and a promise that food will not be the end of me!

Sorry for the rant :)

Please tell us you meant 7 months not 7 weeks!

Please tell us you meant 7 months not 7 weeks!

No, it's 7 weeks. 10lbs to go to reach 100lbs off. Scary at this point the sleeve has done its work now it's all on me!

Ignore me. I misread your post! I thought you had your surgery 7 weeks ago! LOL! Congrats on your weight loss! Go girl!

-Kendra

Thx for the honesty.... I had my surgery Dec 28. I have lost 20lbs so far. i know it wasnt easy for you but you have accomplished a major milestone in your life!!!! I know i have a long way to go to meet my goal but once the goal has been met we are happy on one hand to be healthy but food has and will always be apart of our lives but also we have to find ways/hobbies etc to fill the void to eating unhealthy and remind ourselves of what we truly felt like in our old body which sufferered tremendously due to being over weight.... I told myself that i have to eat to live and not live to eat anymore.... This is a journey and a life-long journey which we all have to stay on course if we want to remain in control and healthy.... Best of luck reaching your 100lbs weight loss and many blessings!!!

Hugs, TD41

Hi

I am petrified of the future myself at the moment.at 10 months out and only 6 pounds from dr's goal,I have picked up a few bad habits again on holiday.

The scary part is i am still losing even though I am eating way more carbs.Snacking more but worse of all eating after dinner.These are all the things that got me fat.

I have no desire for food during the day but at night I cannot stop eating little bits of this and that.Not even always healthy.And as people report that their capacity did increase over time I would be in serious trouble of regaining.

Ugg,I could never understand people saying the losing phase is the easy part.Now I know.But we have to figure this out for ourselves.What will work long term.Try and try and try!

Dinora -

I can understand where you are coming from. There are really no foods that are completely off limits again. Just have in moderatipon. No you can't eat a bucket of chicken, but to have a piece of fried chicken isn't going to destroy all you've worked for. Just don't do it every day. Same goes for ice cram. Enjoy a small scoop once in awhile for a treat. Just do an extra five minutes in the gym later that day and be mindful to eat helthy around those "treats".

TD41

You are absolutely correct, we must take control and be assured that I have :) I am the smallest I've ever been my entire adult life, actually i weigh less than i did in junior high, crazy right?! cause I'm only 34 and life has completely changed for me going from a size 20 to 6 is still mind blowing to me! Thanks for your positive words, the work will continue always

Desertmom

Scary yes but the changes have been so rewarding. I too have done the after dinner sneak a bite or the just one chocolate pieces that turns to two or three and thus far the weight has only ever fluctuated a lb or two. Staying on track is hard and it's just even a year. Gotta stay with it, really I can not afford, we can not afford to fail ourselves

Kev

You are right and I try my hardest I must also confess that the eating guilt has intensified. I mean before I was ashamed to have that fried chicken especially eating in front of others but the chicken would win and my brian would justify the stares as "they expect you ( the obese gal) to eat that" now it's like if I'm with people that I know are judging and I myself am even worse, I find my self not just bring hard on me but others, as if I had no clue how hard this fight is. Shameful right

Not shameful at all. It's your defense mechanism working just as it should. It's what won't allow you to overdo or overindulge. I think those feelings are normal. Nothing to be ashamed of.

This is a great post! I sure wish my nutrition appts. did not end at 9 months post op

I'm really nervous about maintaining my weight. It's a whole new ball game now.

I pray I win the game!!

Ignore me. I misread your post! I thought you had your surgery 7 weeks ago! LOL! Congrats on your weight loss! Go girl!

-Kendra

I did too! I was like how!? Lol

Congrats on your hard work! I'm excited to be a 6, 14 almost 12 now :)

Great post I think the one year remark was brilliant. It's true. That's where your "real" life will begin and we can't ever ever have bad food again, just need to stay in check! Great post!