Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Newly sleeved 1/11 and kinda miserable!

Hello everyone! I was sleeved Friday January 11th. I was very very nervous up until they put me under but am very proud of the decision I've made to change my life for the better. I'm 24 years old and started my journey at 309 before the supervised program and weight in at 289 before surgery. After surgery I had some issues breathing deeply and was scared to fall asleep but that fixed itself out later in the day. My surgeon paid me a visit a few hours after surgery to check on me and tell me if I could get my fluids down and walk around then he discharge me the next day. Unfortunately it's been very hard for me to drink anything and had to ask for nausea meds because I was feeling really sick and really full. To make matters worse, the nurse in charge let came in and frightened me a bit with his expert advise about how I have to be careful how much I drink because I could expand the sleeve and cause the incisions to come apart..so it's like what do I do? Who do I listen to? Myself, the nurse, or the doctor? Any advice would be helpful :-)

Just your medicine cups to keep track of your intake. This will keep you hydrated and you will be full really easily we all were. Mostly it's from the swelling in your stomach you just had major surgery. This is how your going to lose so much weight fast. Take it easy and just do what you were told to do during your pre op appt at the hospital. If you feel unsure call your NUT (nutritionist) but honestly it just takes time. Using your medicine cups will insure you don't drink to much. Listen to your body stop when you feel full it will get better once the swelling goes down this is all brand new to you. You will be fine. I hope this helps don't hesitate to ask a question.

Jenipher

You should be sipping tiny sips from a one ounce medicine cup.

You should drink no more than one ounce every fifteen minutes while in the hospital.

For me, even that was hard....take it slow...just sip sip :)

Hi soccergirl88,

I had the same problem in the hospital and at home. I had to stay two nights in the hospital and almost a 3 nights if I did not consume more liquids. I honestly had to use a timer at home home to remember to drink. I finally started to get it but it took some time. Feeling nausea is very common. The surgeon I had prescribed anti nausea pills for all his patients before surgery so we could have some at home. If you still have that issue I would request some. These pills desolve in your mouth. I sure used them a lot in the beginning.

As the swelling goes down you will be able to drink more. As long as you are sipping those 1 oz cups every 15 minutes you will be fine.

Hoping this helps you relax and take one day at a time. I wish I was aware of this web site my first month. I was nervous most of the time.

So many good pointers on this web site! Best wishes..... Tina