Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Ok, I'll be the first to admit what nobody wants to talk about, Dumping.

I was sleeved on 12/19. My first mini dump happened after a drive from LA to the OC to meet a client. I had to cancel with my client while parked in their parking structure. I couldn't find a bathroom fast enough.

Today, I have traveled back east on business. I just had some dinner (small bowl of Soup, it's all I eat) and was driving back to the hotel when it hit me, again! I had to park behind the hotel, and wait for people to clear out, and find my way up 5 flights of stairs because the damn elevator in the back couldn't come fast enough.

I see now I am going to have to keep a bathroom close. Not sure what is causing it. Ugh!

I was also sleeved on 12/19, and I'm having similar issues. I'm thinking I might be lactose intolerant, but I don't know for sure. I sure hope this is temporary! We are only a little more than 3 weeks out, so there is a lot of healing we need to do. In the mean time, it sure does make it hard to work!

wow i was under the impression there was no dumping with the sleeve. It is the bypass that you get it with.I wonder why it's happening to you both? So sorry...

That is not dumping syndrome. Dumping syndrome only happens in bypass patients. If you were sleeved you didn't experience dumping. But I can relate to what you said about having to run to the bathroom. I am four and a half months out and it started to happen when I was eating sometimes things do not necessarily agree with the stomach it is almost like it just does not want to do anything but exit and I mean fast. It comes on fast and It is painful in the stomach I start to hear all sorts of noises coming from my stomach. When I run to the bathroom like I have just left the scene of a crime. It is like you have a virus with the runs. I don't mean to be gross but the smell is not normal. But dumping syndrome definetly only happens with gastric bypass due to the pluming being rerouted. I am wondering when this unpleasantness will stop happening like this.

One more thing dumping happens because the person has cheated with something that has too much sugar in it. The digestive system can not handle the sugar. So that is indicative of someone who was cheating.

Its most likey because of nothing solid and just liquids it should get better when you move to solids.

I'm a type 1 diabetic, and my surgeon didn't want to do the bypass because of dumping. Can't bring my sugar back up if I'm dumping..... So I guess he thinks you won't dump with sleeve. Others have said you do, I don't know. :P

Dumping syndrome is more common with RNY, but it can also happen with the sleeve. It can also happen to people who have never had surgery for a variety of reason. I'd wager that if a person has nausea, weakness, abdominal pain, and diarrhea, it is in fact, dumping syndrome. It is caused from stomach contents entering the small intesting too fast. http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/dumping-syndrome/DS00715

Dumping can also happen if you've had your gallbladder remove cause I've experienced it but I would say u could get dumping w the sleeve cause I like to think anything could happen w ppls body everybody don't experience the same things its the norm for ppl not to dump w the sleeve but I would say its not possible

Interesting to read that. I am going to speak with my doctor and the group I go to for support. The woman who runs it is a registered nurse for the OR and has specialized in gastric for the last ten years. I would like to find out about this. I was told sleeve does not have dumping syndrome. Maybe there are different kinds for sleeves I am interested. Thx for that article.

Also, I wouldn't say that someone who is experiencing dumping has cheated. I know a gal on another board who dumps quite easily (she's had the gastric bypass surgery). She has to eat Protein before anything else (like crackers) to avoid this. Her body just can't tolerate sugars very well.

Anyhow, ugh, how frustrating to have to have the fear of not being near a bathroom when you may need it. Was there anything common that you ate for this to happen or is it just random? Although you aren't quite a month out, so it could be that not eating solid foods completely could cause this. liquid in = liquid out. (Ewwww.)

I've found that if I haven't had a bowel movement in a few days, my body seems to say "Oh yeah? Take THAT!" Egad, totally cleaned out.

I am kind I annoyed about this now. I go to meetings every month people who have had bybass talk about dumping and when I happend to them one man ate a tablespoon of fluff and it was all over for him. My thing is I would have loved to know about this for many reasons. I thought something was wrong with me big time. Four and a half months and I still can't even eat small amounts. Went out with the hubby tonight and the steak I ate got stuck. I chewed the hell out of it and ate slow slow. Well it almost came up. But this whole thing with the digesting I am going to say my stomach is just not handling food well. I am so glad this was brought up. Thank you everyone for the information.

If you are eating carbs that may be causing it. Carbs pull liquid into the digestive system because more liquid is needed to digest carbs. Therefore it moves faster. This is what my PCP told me.

I have been going through my head trying to figure it out. If been really well. I just think something hit my empty stomach and that is raced through me. Perhaps, I should have refused the 'Thai Tea' before my food.

So yes, I think it was the milk/sugar passing through that caused this to happen.

Dumping is identified by more symptoms than just needing to go to the bathroom. It can cause nausea, vomiting, shivering, feeling feverish etc. you don't mention any of these symptoms so it does not sound like dumping to me. It sounds like liquid in=liquid out and when you've got to go you've got to go!

You're only three weeks out and it sounds like you are still on liquids. When you start solids it may help bind you up some.