Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I used to drink a lot of coffee before my surgery but I stopped like 2 months before my surgery date. Today I am over 4 weeks post op and I have been craving for coffee all day. Is it ok to drink Decaf coffee?

any coffee lovers out there?

I was told to wait 3 months because of the acidity in coffee could upset the new tummy. Whether Decaf or not...

I was told to wait 3 months because of the acidity in coffee could upset the new tummy. Whether Decaf or not...

oh well I guess I would have to wait 2 more months :(

thanks for the reply!! :)

I would talk to your doctor about this...my doctor has given the ok to have Decaf coffee. I would just be careful with sugar and milk going into it. Sometimes, just a quick taste of what you think you want will get rid of the craving.

so embarrassed to tell you this :mellow:

i know there are many coffee threads, i'm going to the search area in the right hand corner

only a couple of posts come up

what am i doing wrong???

been on the board for a couple of years, and never learned how to do this :ph34r:

confession is good for soul ;)

I been drinking Decaf since about 1 month pre-0p and was told i could drink it even as close as 4hrs before surgery and was drinking it by my 2nd day post-0p and im having a cup now

My doctor allows us to drink coffee, I went to see him one week post op. (My surgery was 12/28/12) He said he would never deny anyone their coffee. Since being told I can have it, I have had some but not the 16oz I use to have every morning.

I am 6 weeks post-op. My Dr. said that Decaf coffee was okay from the beginning. I waited until 4 weeks post-op to try it. I bought a really good brand & it made delicious decaf. Like others said, just be careful what you put in it. Also, make sure that you can still get in your Water. The first couple days that I made decaf I loved it so much that I skipped out on my water. So, Enjoy some decaf. You'll be surprised how good it is.

Oh, how I miss my coffee!! My doc says no coffee for 4 months. I can handle everything else, but that one is killing me. I really, really want a cup of coffee. *sigh* This is probably the hardest part for me.

I used to drink a lot of coffee before my surgery but I stopped like 2 months before my surgery date. Today I am over 4 weeks post op and I have been craving for coffee all day. Is it ok to drink Decaf coffee?

I'm amazed at how different the doctors' rules are across the country. I complained about missing my coffee and my lack of energy at my first pre-op (3 wks out), and the NP said I could drink 1 cup a day. Her only concern was that I not use it as a substitute for Water. Maybe you should check with your doc again?

I have had coffee everyday starting 4 weeks out. As long as you are still drinking plenty of other fluids throughout the day. Also, instead of Creamer add your favorite Protein Shake into it!

Follow what YOUR doctor suggests. My NUT said coffee was fine, not too strong (didn't need to be decaf). I have my 1 1/2 cups in the morning and I mix it with my Protein Powder and some sugar free flavorings. Kill 2 birds with one stone. Get my yummy coffee and my Protein for the morning. In the spring/summer I will probably go back to shakes in the morning, but I so enjoy the hot beverage in the fall/winter.

I started drinking regular about three weeks post op. It's not really the irritation, but the diuretic/dehydrating effect of the caffeine in general. Unless you are drinking battery acic strength java, I would not anticipate damage with one cup.

I drank coffee since about 4 weeks post op I did not have any issues except it taste different to me but now I am 6 months out and I have gotten the taste for it back