Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

People and their ridiculous expectations....

Amen to that!

Very well said!

Hallelujah!!! Cheri, I am soooo glad someone said all this! I heard about WLS back in July/August 2012 and began doing research. I educated myself on the various types and then dug deeper into the band and VSG. I attend a seminar to learn more and decided VSG was best for me. In my digging for every site I could find on VSG, I ran across VST! YEAH!! I only read for two solid months before joining and making an initial post. I sat nearly every evening for a couple of hours and read new posts while taking notes on various major topics. I now have a notebook filled with what to do before, during and after the surgery.

This past month, I have prayed that you would NOT leave this forum. I have watched several of those who post with quality, thoughtful answers slow down with their posts and then seldom or never post again. I miss missdiva and especially lollyfiddy – just to name a few. I love that you, OTR and butterthebean (as well as many others) who have hung in there for those of us who need you. We probably don’t support you as well as we should, so I am taking this opportunity to say a huge thank you and beg you to hang in a bit longer. Your input has been invaluable and I’m betting there are many like me who seldom post but soak up all your good info.

A few months ago I began trying to figure out why this site had changed so much since I first began reading. I started hearing people who were within days of surgery, and even just post-surgery, ask some very basic questions, which, had they read about this surgery for even an hour, would have known the answers. I kept being shocked at the questions, the lack of knowledge, and the lack of support from the doctors as well.

My conclusion is that this surgery has become so popular that the numbers have exploded and (this one is going to irritate some, but here we go) those less experienced in solving life’s problems – the young, the oblivious and those who feel entitled ( the world owes me) are headed to the surgeon’s table thinking this is a breeze. They never get the part that this is a complete life style change REQUIRING the individual to participate in its success. (here’s my disclaimer – yes some in those mentioned categories will succeed and many seemingly educated, dedicated and responsible people will fail – read through the words and try to get my meaning please) I’m really trying to figure out the very obvious change I see with the postings the past 3-4 months. As an aside – Dr. Oz had a segment on.. I think in October maybe and he said he could not believe more doctors were not recommending WLS and why more people were not asking for it. He has huge influence on sales of anything he mentions! Maybe…

The surgeons are certainly not going to turn these bucks.. I mean unhealthy people.. away and more and more doctors and surgery groups are and will be cropping up to meet the demand – without providing the proper info and without doing all the extra testing and after care that helps to ensure a successful surgery.

Example – Family of 3 – mom, dad and grown daughter - come to the same seminar I attended. All 3 had sodas and passed a big bag of corn curls back and forth, rattling the bag and crunching during the presentation. The doctor talked about the life style changes you should make after the surgery and mentioned regular walking. The mom immediately huffed and whined… “I really don’t like walking and do as little of it as possible.” I am betting that one of them if not all, have had the surgery by now. I hope they are successful, but I’m not sure I saw the level of commitment and willingness to change that long-term success requires.

I think there will be more and more people coming to these sites seeking help so I do hope those with true knowledge and experience will stay for those of us who have done our homework and want to hear the truth.

And people, please go into this fully informed… read, read, read. Watch the videos of the surgery online. Commit to the program which means when you are in the losing phase, don’t eat or drink the crap you used to just because you’re in the solids phase. It could be a long haul so either leave the old habit in the dust permanently or figure out how you will manage small indulgences that “fit” into your maintainence plan.

This is a temporary tool requiring your total focus and participation if you want to have life-long success.

Just my 2 cents… take it or leave it.

Hallelujah!!! Cheri, I am soooo glad someone said all this! I heard about WLS back in July/August 2012 and began doing research. I educated myself on the various types and then dug deeper into the band and VSG. I attend a seminar to learn more and decided VSG was best for me. In my digging for every site I could find on VSG, I ran across VLT! YEAH!! I only read for two solid months before joining and making an initial post. I sat nearly every evening for a couple of hours and read new posts while taking notes on various major topics. I now have a notebook filled with what to do before, during and after the surgery.

This past month, I have prayed that you would NOT leave this forum. I have watched several of those who post with quality, thoughtful answers slow down with their posts and then seldom or never post again. I miss missdiva and especially lollyfiddy – just to name a few. I love that you, OTR and butterthebean (as well as many others) who have hung in there for those of us who need you. We probably don’t support you as well as we should, so I am taking this opportunity to say a huge thank you and beg you to hang in a bit longer. Your input has been invaluable and I’m betting there are many like me who seldom post but soak up all your good info.

A few months ago I began trying to figure out why this site had changed so much since I first began reading. I started hearing people who were within days of surgery, and even just post-surgery, ask some very basic questions, which, had they read about this surgery for even an hour, would have known the answers. I kept being shocked at the questions, the lack of knowledge, and the lack of support from the doctors as well.

My conclusion is that this surgery has become so popular that the numbers have exploded and (this one is going to irritate some, but here we go) those less experienced in solving life’s problems – the young, the oblivious and those who feel entitled ( the world owes me) are headed to the surgeon’s table thinking this is a breeze. They never get the part that this is a complete life style change REQUIRING the individual to participate in its success. (here’s my disclaimer – yes some in those mentioned categories will succeed and many seemingly educated, dedicated and responsible people will fail – read through the words and try to get my meaning please) I’m really trying to figure out the very obvious change I see with the postings the past 3-4 months. As an aside – Dr. Oz had a segment on.. I think in October maybe and he said he could not believe more doctors were not recommending WLS and why more people were not asking for it. He has huge influence on sales of anything he mentions! Maybe…

The surgeons are certainly not going to turn these bucks.. I mean unhealthy people.. away and more and more doctors and surgery groups are and will be cropping up to meet the demand – without providing the proper info and without doing all the extra testing and after care that helps to ensure a successful surgery.

Example – Family of 3 – mom, dad and grown daughter - come to the same seminar I attended. All 3 had sodas and passed a big bag of corn curls back and forth, rattling the bag and crunching during the presentation. The doctor talked about the life style changes you should make after the surgery and mentioned regular walking. The mom immediately huffed and whined… “I really don’t like walking and do as little of it as possible.” I am betting that one of them if not all, have had the surgery by now. I hope they are successful, but I’m not sure I saw the level of commitment and willingness to change that long-term success requires.

I think there will be more and more people coming to these sites seeking help so I do hope those with true knowledge and experience will stay for those of us who have done our homework and want to hear the truth.

And people, please go into this fully informed… read, read, read. Watch the videos of the surgery online. Commit to the program which means when you are in the losing phase, don’t eat or drink the crap you used to just because you’re in the solids phase. It could be a long haul so either leave the old habit in the dust permanently or figure out how you will manage small indulgences that “fit” into your maintainence plan.

This is a temporary tool requiring your total focus and participation if you want to have life-long success.

Just my 2 cents… take it or leave it.

You're my hero. I only ever go on one thread now for Aussie sleevers and that's only because they are now dear friends. Everyone else is talking about the same old things all the time and I have a short attention span. I'm bored of this whole site and rarely post on any other threads. I believe I have an interesting story, I got very sick almost immediately after my sleeve and ended up at goal after only 3 months. I've tried to help others who want it but am now just a bit fed up.

I will stalk the forums occasionally, I'm glad I stumbled across you're rant.

THANK YOU!!!!!

I think I love you. Really what you said...but that you said it. There are some things that you have mentioned that have been twanging on my very last nerve.

These are the best posts I've seen, since being on this forum!

I am only 3 weeks post-op and I am so tired of seeing people post the same things over and over again. If as a newcomer, am tired of hearing the whining, I can't even imagine how you vets feel.

I did and continue to do, a lot of research on the sleeve and the post-op guidelines.

To hear that people are actually surprised at the work they have to put into this great tool, baffles me. The literature and vets on this forum, state again and again, that this is only a tool and you have to work at changing life long bad habits, in order to succeed.

The only reason I still read anything on this forum, is to hear how the others, who are vets of this surgery, changed their behavior, met their goals and how they are maintaining their weight. It's funny how new members act like they can give advice to others, while they are still healing from the surgery. I will only read the posts that are from those who know what they are talking about and share their experience, strength and hope with others.

Thank you so much for posting this! If I may, can I please stress some more that people don't use the search function enough before posting? As you said, threads that are 4 years old can still be relevant today. I have started very few threads compared to my total number of posts because I always search for my answers before posting. I try to be understanding that not everyone is computer/online forum literate, but it's so widespread that I don't think that's entirely the reason. It should be a requirement, IMO. Okay, *steps off soapbox*.

Well put!

High five Cheri....I almost just dropped VST all together because of some of these posts. I want to be supportive, but geeze. If you haven't done your homework, and you haven't had real conversations with your Dr. before you climb up on that table and let the cut you open, then I don't know how much you can get here. If you don't understand that this surgery doesn't solve much other than restricts what you eat and that you have to work very hard to make it work, I'm not sure there's a lot of help here. There are a lot of good questions that get asked here, and those I really enjoy answering, but most make you want to bang your head.....

Haha! I love the "I've lost only 50 pounds in two months, I've failed this surgery! " posts.

I know there have been times I've just closed a thread rather than reply because the level of "advice" going on in it just hurt my head. It's not that I don't want to be helpful, but that it's impossible to *be* helpful when you're being shouted down by people who focus on giving bad or alarmist information (everything's a leak or infection!). The lack of preparation that I've seen does, occasionally, just boggle the mind.

Also, lack of using the search function.

I'm sure that if it's annoying at times at this point, it will continue to be that way as I get further out. All I can hope is that other sane sleevers stick around, too. There are some places that I've found some very rational and level headed people, and you learn who to listen to and who to avoid.

Thanks for giving me a much needed laugh this morning, even though it came from your frustration. The same things that annoy you do annoy others :)

Careful Cheri. They're gonna bring in "F" who lives in fear of certain posters and only posts for two days about those horrible people...then disappears altogether....to complain about how you're scared him into not being able to whine about his triple cheeseburger Breakfast :P

Meanie :P heh heh heh

Oh and you left out the section on ripping open your wounds riding a wild bull on day 3 after surgery. I always love those posts. After all, the doc was probably kidding about you not lifting anything and as long as you use your legs to lift yourself up on the bull it'll be ok...oh and you can lift children because you are a mom and your muscles have this magic memory that allows for that weight....but shucks...I forgot WE CUT THROUGH THOSE! Ummmmm but for you they're different right? The pain you are feeling is totally different and likely a leak :o Best post about that pronto LMAO