Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How long until after surgery can I walk my dog?

Hi,

I was wondering because I'm the one who takes care of our 7-month lab mix the most. He is 52lbs right now. He can be 10lbs heavier in a month, and he is very hyper. I'm finding out my surery date this Friday, and I'm hoping its a January date.

:)

Any input would be appreciated.

Thank You!

I guess it would be on how good he is on the leash. Does he pull you or is he good? I would say if he pulls you it will be painful to walk him. If he is not good I would say 4 weeks. If he is good I would say you could walk him right away with no issues.

Doc knows best on that but walking a 62 pound hyper-pup or rather, him walking you, could certainly jerk you pretty good in unhealthy ways. I'd line up some doggy walkers for at least a month after surgery, but ask Doc.

When you get healed up, walking your frenetic fido will be great exercise.

I started the day after I got home from the hospital.........BUT my 3 dogs only add up to 19lbs total !! :)

Two Chihuahuas and a Toy Fox Terrier ( Terrorist is more like it)

~Dana

I guess it would be on how good he is on the leash. Does he pull you or is he good? I would say if he pulls you it will be painful to walk him. If he is not good I would say 4 weeks. If he is good I would say you could walk him right away with no issues.

Thank you.. He pulls at times and we are going take some training classes. Thank you again :)

Doc knows best on that but walking a 62 pound hyper-pup or rather, him walking you, could certainly jerk you pretty good in unhealthy ways. I'd line up some doggy walkers for at least a month after surgery, but ask Doc.

When you get healed up, walking your frenetic fido will be great exercise.

I will be sure to ask my surgeon :) Thank You

I started the day after I got home from the hospital.........BUT my 3 dogs only add up to 19lbs total !! :)

Two Chihuahuas and a Toy Fox Terrier ( Terrorist is more like it)

~Dana

Oh how I wish we picked a chihuahua lol but I love my furry beast! :)

Thank you!

Im about 6 weeks I have a 128 lb american bulldog puppy he still has a year to go grow out of his puppy phase that pulls like crazy and its just now some what comfortable to walk him twice a day

Im about 6 weeks I have a 128 lb american bulldog puppy he still has a year to go grow out of his puppy phase that pulls like crazy and its just now some what comfortable to walk him twice a day

128lbs and still a pup? Yikes ;-)

Yea he still has a lil to grow lol they grow til they are 3 yrs old he's 2 and a momma's baby!!!

62 lbs is a lot of force...it's going to pull on your internal stitches and probably hurt pretty bad. I would agree with what others have said, you should probably get some help with that for a little while. Just to be safe ya know? Why risk anything when you've already gone through so much :)

I have 2 boxers, an 83lb male, and a 62lb female. Somehow these clowns taught themselves to walk without leashes (I would love to claim responsibility, but I really think it's b/c they're boxers and CANNOT stand to be more than 3 feet away from me).

I took my dog walking around the 3 week mark. She's my favorite walking buddy. She's 3.5 yrs old and doesn't pull on the leash but it took lots of training and trying different things to get her to walk beside me. I also used a couple of Cesar Milan's techniques. The thing that I've found to be most effective is a no pull harness that latches in front of her chest, below her neck. Whenever she tries to pull it turns her to where she is facing me. I also wrap the leash around me so that I can walk with my hands free. The more you take your dog for a walk the more they tend to become more calm. My dog is a great pyrenees. Labs are very hyper and I've heard of a lot of people having to ride bikes while their dog jogs beside them, this is the reason why I made sure to get a lazy dog lol but she loves to walk. My dog weighs about 85 lbs and the no pull harness works so well.

I walked my 75lb German shepherd 1 week after surgery. She's generally a pretty decent walker- but she likes to stop and smell too much.

I started walking my dog the day back from the hospital which happened to be day 5 post op. Only made it about 100 yards on that first walk and my brother was actually holding the leash. Over the next month, I was literally out walking my dog up to 3x a day up to 3 miles at a time(ramped up the endurance, of course). I lost a lot of weight by just walking like this until 6 weeks out ( about 65 lb). And my dog got addicted to all the walks. Since then I still enjoy walking my dog, but usually only once a day and no longer for exercise. He is well behaved on a leash and got a canine good citizen certificate 2 years ago. He is an english springer/ border collie mix that weighs about 55 lbs give or take 5 lbs depending on how many treats or table scraps he gets.

Hi' date='

I was wondering because I'm the one who takes care of our 7-month lab mix the most. He is 52lbs right now. He can be 10lbs heavier in a month, and he is very hyper. I'm finding out my surery date this Friday, and I'm hoping its a January date.

:)

Any input would be appreciated.

Thank You![/quote']

I'm soooo happy you posted this. I have a 92lb husky/Akita.....and I'm afraid he might pull me something crazy especially if I was in the hospital for a few days.