Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Unfill NOT working out this time

Well, I guess I shouldn't say that...because the unfill DID accomplish what it was supposed to do. It completely eliminated my reflux immediately. Since my saline was removed about six weeks ago I've slept like a baby without even being careful about eating later in the evening.

But WHACK! My hunger is back in a way it wasn't the last time I was unfilled. My theory is that back in February, I had reflux and irritation that went on for more than a month before I had the endoscopy and unfill. All of that took time to resolve and it wasn't until several months later that I noticed my significant lack of restriction and hunger pangs returning. I didn't gain any significant weight, but felt I needed a fill and got one in August.

I was fine for a few weeks but after overdoing it on jalapeno potato chips AND having a horrible allergy season without meds, reflux returned. Without waiting for it to get worse I called the doctor and scheduled an unfill right away. I guess I figured I'd go back to the way things were just after my last unfill.

But NO; now I'm back where I was right before I needed a fill in August. Hungry, able to eat too much, and having trouble moderating my intake the way I should. As of now I've put on only about 5 lbs, but I can see where this is headed.

So now I'm thinking about trying to go with a little more Fluid, but less than what I had put in last time. That means maybe .4 ccs. And I promise I'll stay FAR away from the jalapeno potato chips!! :)

Try going in maybe .25 cc increments, and see where that takes you, maybe? I'm glad your reflux problems were taken care of. I've had it just a few times in my life, but it's no fun at all! :)

Oh gosh this must be so terribly frustrating for you. Its amazing how you think you've overcome things when the band is working.

Are you getting loads of exercise? I find it very hard to gain weight (prebanding) even over Christmas or on holidays, when I'm truly getting five or six hours of hard aerobic exercise per week. It really does work for weight maintenance.

I truly understand this, Alexandra. The band does far more for us than we think. I am struggling with my feeding behavior daily. It is indeed true that I still make many good choices, but those bad ones are alot easier without the restriction.

Also, I think this far out, for me, my head gets tired of the constant work involved in dealing with the fact that I can't eat like 'normal' people - no matter what. There is no level ground. If I am not on a constant watch of what goes in my mouth and how much exercise I get to burn THAT off, my body holds on to it, plain and simple. :) It's very tiresome, but without the band I certainly would not be where I am today, so I am still thankful for that.

Strength and Courage Alex! Strength and courage....

I'm with Jack, once I found out what a number corn does on me... I do so much better when I can either avoid it, or pair it with protien and fat, since those stay in your bloodstream longer. (glycimic index theory)

The chips are a problem for me too! They go down pretty easy, but then I feel bad later like they just want to sit there and cause me misery or come back up. I still manage to stick some in my mouth at times even knowing how it will make me feel.

I agree, get just tiny amounts of fill at a time. Maybe that will work for you. I have found that the longer I am banded the harder it is to eat right. That bad friend called head hunger gets me, even when I am not hungry I am looking for something, anything, especially crunchy or sweet!

Good Luck!

Thanks for your thoughts, everyone.

Jachut, I most definitely am NOT getting enough exercise. There is no way I could ever get several hours of aerobics in a week; I just don't have that kind of time. But I definitely can up what I am doing and hit the gym more regularly.

What is my food trigger? Probably carbs. Having eggs for Breakfast sets me up for a good day, but if I have crackers with lunch all I can think about is what next I can munch. It's unbelievable. Maybe I'll just start with that--really trying to avoid the starchy carbs that do me in so quickly. (Interestingly, sugar doesn't seem to have the same effect.)

I'm also not drinking enough. Cool weather just seems to eliminate any thirst or desire to drink Water, for some reason. I can try harder to up my Fluid intake, even if it's just herbal tea after herbal tea.

Leatha, you're talking to me!! :) It's like I breathe a sigh of relief when I think to myself that my band won't stop me from eating the sandwich WITH bread, so go for it! Nuh-uh. I have to ALWAYS take the bread off the sandwich or out comes my food nympho (thanks for the visual, Jack!). The decision to take the bread off is the one I have to make BEFORE my id can rejoice in the fact that my band wouldn't stop it from going down. It has to be reflexive.

So I'll work on these things in the meantime. And then, I'll call my doctor. :biggrin1:

I was fine for a few weeks but after overdoing it on jalapeno potato chips AND having a horrible allergy season without meds, reflux returned. Without waiting for it to get worse I called the doctor and scheduled an unfill right away.

Goodness, you have responses from the BEST of the best. Im very nervous posting this, so please be kind to the 'slow' one in the group...

BUT..

out of my own experiences (cause I LOVE spicey foods)...

you were fine till the JALAPENO chips caused a reaction. My theory is that the spicey caused pouched swelling which resulted in stoma swelling which caused very little food to pass through the stoma... which equals reflux (cause its usually food from the pouch that we reflux-for the newbies reading this) .

I dont think this was the FILL levels fault!

Once you noticed a 'flare up', did you try immediately switching to liquids to help unswell things? you know, kinda 'baby' that GI tract.

Good luck with the new fill.

Here here, chips and chocolate are the devil. I have to agree, more Protein, less carbs and the carbs you do eat, make them good carbs. My DH just started Atkins almost two weeks ago...his hunger is nil and his WL is 9 lbs in 12 days. He's only got 6 or so more pounds to lose before reaching goal but his appetite is definitly better. (((men sheeeeesh))).

Hang in there Alex.

Hi Alex,

Get the fill. It sounds like you have similar issues with allergies and all over the board restriction and lack of everytime they take out and add saline to your band. The problem with being underrestricted as well as over restricted is it can lead to pouch dilation as you start to eat more and not realize you are pouch packing.

After spending 1/2 hour last night over the porcelain god (which is a very rare occurence for me since I have been banded) , everytime I think I don't have restriction, I am alerted to the fact that the band is actually doing something for me. Unlike yourself, I have not had much of a problem with reflux with my band, but restriction varies as a seasonal problem due to allergies and slime.

In my case, it was a dry rib at Chilis last night due to the fact I have allergies and I am really stuffed up. Allergies are a real problem for me too and my restriction is all over the board. My weight is coming back down, but there are days where I feel I have to work really hard to make the wise decisions cause I have restriction, but not the kind I had before that really let me know when to stop eating.

Get the fill and nip this in the bud. I refused to get on the scale and gained more than 30 pounds in 8 months. Yeah, I am losing again, but its much harder to take it off the second time around.

Babs in TX

334/180/190's

hey alex,

it is so hard living with an empty band.

i did get a small fill a month ago and while i still have no restriction- it did help with the constant hunger...it is taking the edge off and i am at a happy medium with my band.

for me my biggest 'trigger for a bad day' is....lack of planning. everynight i think out what i am gonna eat the next day. on days i my routine changes i always eat WAY more calories and carbs.

Update: I am scheduled for a fill in mid-December. I've already put on 10 lbs (!!) and clearly have to work much harder at getting the munch-monster back in its cage.

Wish me luck!!