Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How did you decide on your doctor?

I've been to so many seminars but at the end of the day how did you decide on where to have your procedure done? I'm so nervous about chosing the wrong dr. or making the decision. Anyone in the Chicagoland area recommend anyone?? PLEASE help i can't take another seminar :blink:

I was a nurse and now am a medical Transcriptionist and would type operation reports for surgeons here at the hospital. I remembered from typing who had a lot of complications and who did not. After knowing that, I looked up the docs on the board of medical examiners website to see who had what in their record. I narrowed it down to my surgeon and loved him the minute I met him.

I am in the Chicagoland area also and I'm still in the pre-op stage. Mainly I made my decision based on where my PCP said my insurance (BCBS) would send me. I had the option of Loyola or UIC hospitals because the hospital my PCP works through does not have a bariatric program.

I tried to research as much as I could between the two and just trusted my gut (no pun intended!) Then I attended the doctor's seminar I felt most comfortable with and I came away feeling that he would be a good surgeon for me.

I am going through Loyola's Metabolic Surgery and Bariatric Program and using Dr. Bipan Chand. I like the fact that they have a whole medical and surgical approach to weight loss and would tell you if you were better suited for one over the other without automatically operating on you. I trust my decision that the sleeve is right for me, but if for some reason a medical professional felt otherwise, I would want to know beforehand. Bottom line, you have to go with who you feel most comfortable with. Good luck!

I too am in the Chicago area and I went with the Kane center, Dr rantis. I felt very comfortable with him. He had great reviews/write ups online. And I trusted him. They've also been doing wls for a long time so that was a piece of mind for me as well. During my stay in met Dr guske and he was great as well. Took a lot of time with me and answered questions for me while in hospital.

I was referred by my (trusted) PCP.

I've been to so many seminars but at the end of the day how did you decide on where to have your procedure done? I'm so nervous about chosing the wrong dr. or making the decision. Anyone in the Chicagoland area recommend anyone?? PLEASE help i can't take another seminar :blink:

My ins. sent me to a certain hospital and I was assigned a doctor.

Hi

I was referred by a family member. Then I Researched the Centers of Excellence in Bariatric Surgery. I choose, NWM Hospital in Chicago. My physician is the top rated Dr. Hungness.

Good luck!

Based on my research, I decided that I wanted a Dr that (i) was a bariatric center of excellence; (ii) had done at least 100+ sleeve procedures; (iii) that spends at least 50% of his/her practice on bariatric surgery. I found Dr Sherman Yu in Houston at the Texas Laproscopic Center, and I could not be more happy with him, his office, and the results.

I may have read that the bariatric center of excellence program is going to be merged with another program in order to have a unified and consistent rating system, but I am sure that you can find out more online.

Good luck.

Looked up on medical board.

Wanted someone with none-little to none history of leaks or complications.

A pioneer of the sleeve surgery.

Someone who was primary bariatric surgeon and ha done over 500 surgeries.

Bed side manners and felt comfortable with to ask all my questions, etc.

Overall reputation of office and doctor results.

Thank you all SO much!! I found my doctor and as TERRIFIED as I am I couldn't be happier an more excited!! I should hopefully have a surgery date before the end of FEB. (i have wonderful insurance, yayyy!!)

I went with the person who did my moms surgery. 3000+ surgeries and he is awesome. Always felt comfortable with my decision.

I am in Chicago (Skokie Illinois) nurse

Going to Mexico for my surgery Dr Garcia

I am in Chicago (Skokie Illinois) nurse

Going to Mexico for my surgery Dr Garcia

I am in the Chicagoland area also and I'm still in the pre-op stage. Mainly I made my decision based on where my PCP said my insurance (BCBS) would send me. I had the option of Loyola or UIC hospitals because the hospital my PCP works through does not have a bariatric program.

I tried to research as much as I could between the two and just trusted my gut (no pun intended!) Then I attended the doctor's seminar I felt most comfortable with and I came away feeling that he would be a good surgeon for me.

I am going through Loyola's Metabolic Surgery and Bariatric Program and using Dr. Bipan Chand. I like the fact that they have a whole medical and surgical approach to weight loss and would tell you if you were better suited for one over the other without automatically operating on you. I trust my decision that the sleeve is right for me' date=' but if for some reason a medical professional felt otherwise, I would want to know beforehand. Bottom line, you have to go with who you feel most comfortable with. Good luck![/quote']

I am also in the pre op process at loyola but with Dr sarker.

I am also in the pre op process at loyola but with Dr sarker.

I am also from Chicago suburban area Skokie I choose to go to Mexico because my insurance doesn't cover it but they said I did not qualify because I do not have high blood pressure diabetes I sleep apnea how far as I'm concern I do qualify because I have a family history of so many things that can cause problem for me later