Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How soon did you go back to work?

I'm currently trying to plan out my next few month which will hopefully include my gastric sleeve surgery. As a project-based freelancer, I have the challenge of trying to find an appropriate time for surgery & recovery that will gel with my current & future projects.

One thing that I'm trying to figure out is how much time I should truly block off for recovery. My doctor says I should be able to go back to work in 7-10 days since I have an office-based job (little physical activity necessary).

In your experiences, what is realistic when it comes to recovery time?

I took a month off but I had FMLA and was paid 100%. At 3 weeks I could have gone back but felt much better at 4 weeks. Of course I'm also 54 years old so that had an impact too.

I had surgery on a Thursday and went back to work on Tuesday. I took a low dowe of pain medicine. I also have an office job and very supportive coworkers.

I felt better after 7 days but since my FMLA covered 2 weeks, I of course went back after 2 weeks. Don't rush anything, take as much time as you possibly can.

I could have gone to work on day 7, but didn't. I went back around day 12. I used the Christmas vacation time for my surgery. I really recovered much more quickly than I expected to.. Except for a few days where I was really tired and run down and dealing with Constipation, I felt like a million bucks.

I guess it depends on the person and their prior health situation. I was off for six weeks, I also had FMLA and was paid at 100%. I was trying to focus on me and my new life changes, so that's why it took me so long.

I had surgery on a Teusday and wend back to work on the following Monday. There were some restrictions with what i could lift, less than 20lbs.

I have my surgery on 02/22/12 and was out for 2 weeks before returning to my office job. I was maybe a little slower than I was before the surgery and had lifting limitations, but I was fine. After a few weeks, maybe a month or so, my energy level was back up to a good point.

I felt better after 7 days but since my FMLA covered 2 weeks' date=' I of course went back after 2 weeks. Don't rush anything, take as much time as you possibly can.[/quote']

Why did your fmla only, cover 2 weeks

I took two weeks, mostly to allow myself time to heal and to adjust to the new way of doing things. Week two was where I really started to feel more like myself and was able to plan out how I wanted to tackle going back to work, which I don't think I could have done my first week.

After my 2wk check-up, my doc said i could go back on light duty, but not available to me. My job requires alot of lifting, so he was very strict on 6wks.

i took two weeks off and it was more than enough time. i also have a 2 year old and do everything by myself and by day 5 i was feeling great! everyone is different and heals different though :)

Pre-surgery we were told we could return to work as soon as no pain meds were required. I was allowed 4 weeks (also under FLMA)..I felt I could have returned after 2 bur the recommended I take the full 4. It was best since I was able to resume some exercise and when I came back it was for full-time each day though 1/2 days would have been permitted. Hardest part was missing that after lunch and 2:00 pm caffeine boost from coffee

I took off 1 week, I have a desk job. When I went back I wasn't in pain, but I tired very easily and was exhausted by the end of the day. I am 55, not sure how much of a factor that was in the exhaustion. If I had to do it over again I would have taken off 1 week and then worked half days for a week or two when I returned.