Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Help...I am three weeks post op and still cannot eat!

I am three weeks postop....cannot eat hardly anything without terrible pain in left side area....cannot drink enough water....and am so depressed!!!

Call your physician they can give you professional advice.

Hope you feel better. Keep us posted.

Good luck!

maybe puree and in small bits, some people use baby spoons as a start you know, my surgeon said to spread the meal out and not all at once even though I am allowed only scraps from him too. Keep drinking in sips, many tiny sips all day and you'll get some of the need done any way, you do not need dehydration, it'll make you feel sickly and dizzy.

Hope you can cheer up, things will be easier I'd bet soon enough so hang in there.

Definetly call your Doc for advise and maybe your nutritionist.

At 3 weeks I had just been allowed to eat pureed foods. I still drank Protein Shakes, Water, water w/crystal light, and blended foods, and only a tiny bit at a time. I purred fat free re-fried Beans, tuna, egg, and chicken salad (fat-free mayo), I could slowly eat laughing cow cheeses, and that's kinda my rotation for that time period and for about 3 more weeks before I was allowed to start eating soft foods without blendering them first.

I had a very hard time getting in my Water at 3 weeks, even 4 and 5 weeks out. I had to have IV hydration twice because I was so dehydrated. I am doing much better now on my Fluid intake. My tastes changed after the sleeve, so I no longer liked Water, crystal light (all kinds of flavors), and other sugar free drink powders. I finally this week discovered something I love!!! I made my own iced tea like I always do. Then, I make a very tall glass (21 oz) of water, and pour in a little tea (maybe 3 oz) and stir it. It makes all of the water taste a little like the tea. I can drink this just fine, but I still have to take sips (I can't gulp like I could pre-sleeve).

When you are dehydrated, it also makes you nauseous. So that may be why you are having a hard time with food "settling." Its really important to get your fluids in, because you also feel weak when you are dehydrated. Perhaps focus on fluids in first, then Protein or Soup. If your urine turns dark, you need to get IV hydration to protect your kidneys. I hope this helps!!! :)

You all have been helpful....one other question...did anyone eat food whether it be Soup drink anything and after few bites have a cramp in left side like stomach cramp??

You all have been helpful....one other question...did anyone eat food whether it be Soup drink anything and after few bites have a cramp in left side like stomach cramp??

Could your cramping actually just be air/bloatiness? Have you tried walking around, or taking GasX? Short of that, I would for sure check in with your doc.

Saw doctor Monday...he said my stomach and place I had hernia repair is still swollen. I have not tried Gasx no....and I am not getting out much for exercise...so cold outside!!

Try just walking laps around your house. I can't tell you how much of a difference it makes it how you feel.

I am three weeks postop....cannot eat hardly anything without terrible pain in left side area....cannot drink enough Water....and am so depressed!!!

I could eat very little for a long time. I was probably getting 250 - 300 calories the first three weeks. I could only eat and eighth of a cup of Soup at a time or a tiny bit of SF Jello with sugar free cool whip. I am talking tiny, tiny bit of food. I had a horrible time with liquids. I finally had a nurse tell me ANY liquids, so I started drinking iced tea and I'd drink iced Water with a little lemon and a stevia. Finally I could get enough, but I was over a year out when I got it. I am fine now, but it was a struggle.