Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Need the honest truth, what are the negatives about the sleeve that you wish would have known beforehand.

Thank you Wallace, congrats on making the decision and for your honesty. What does the doctor say about your reflux? Is it for ever or is because you just had the surgery? I don't want to be taking pills everyday for the rest of my life, so I'm wondering if it's a long term thing. Also, what happens if you drink too quickly or over drink?

My Doc said the acid reflux should go away within the 1st month but to be honest I am not to sure how bad that I have it because I take a pill every day for precautionary reasons. I really never had to many problems with it over the years that I had my lapband either.

As far as drinking to fast, it makes me neasus and I have also experienced some occasional cramps from drinking cold liquids. One thing I also forgot to mention in the prior post was that I have developed an intollerance to milk which in the beginning I thought was going to be a real tough one for me but I really have not missed it as much as I thought I would. Now hot liquids like coffee are much easier to drink BUT I can only get myself to drink about a 6 ounce cup when i drink it. I also work in the coffee industry and prior to my sleeve I was drinking an average of propably 64 ounce of coffee a day, sometimes even more. BUT again its something that I have not really missed either.

I can promise you that so far I am very happy with my decision. I have read in some other postings however that some have been real challanged with the limitations that there new stomach size has impossed on them. I can only say that the sleeve surgery is a life decision change and one that should not be taken too lightly.

For me, I wish I would have known how much work it is to get in all the Protein and fluids everyday. If I'm not home, I fall behind, and it is very hard to "catch up." I also would have liked a little info. on what the "full" feeling feels like. This was never discussed, so it's taken me a while to recognize. Sometimes I can't finish (pre-measured) food, even if it's 2 ounces. I have gotten the slimes a few times for eating a bite too many, and dumped twice for the same reason. Lastly, the food choices and shakes get boring.

That being said, I have no regrets whatsoever, and it has been worth it to me. Also, everyday gets better, and the more experienced sleevers say that as you get further along, you can expand your food choices and everything gets easier, so it's all good to me.

Best of luck to you, whatever you decide!

I'm debating on being sleeved too! But I also want to know what happens that you cant get in enough fluids. I do have a Dr. appt. in a few days and I'm gathering all this info to ask him about. I too have had all of the band hell symptoms as everyone else has. Im nearly empty but not all the way so I no longer have the acid reflux, but unlike the band, If it could be controlled with antacids it would be beneficial for me.

The only negative for me would be the same as above- not being able to guzzle Water. It took time but I have easily adjusted to the change. I always bring a squirt bottle in with me and drink squirts frequently during my workout. This is best for me as I sometimes slip with bottles and take too much. I stay hydrated and actually don't feel 'blah' like I used to from chugging. Last but not least, research states that only small drinks should be taken when physical activity like working out occurs. So I guess it's for the better ;)

AS someone near goal, who fears regain more then any "side effect" this is very inspiring! Hoping we all have such great long term success! I have lost almost 140# and I just never ever ever wanna go back!!!!

I can also tell you that I was like you debating and debating if I wanted to do the revision but I also have had the pleasure of knowing someone who had her sleeve surgery the same time I had my lapband surgery over 7 years ago and she has lost over 125lbs and MAINTAINED THE WEIGHT LOSS within 20lbs up and down all of this time now. She told me that she still has her good and BAD days with the foods she eats but the one thing about the sleeve is no matter what your stomach will never stretch back anywhere to the size it was before.

Thanks so much for the reply Heatherr. So that is the first I'm hearing that about liquids so I'm intrigued. So if you are working out and are dehydrated, what happens if you drink a lot of Water. Will it come back up? Do you hear it guzzling in your throat like it going down a funnel? Also, when you are full, does it feel the same like the band. I always felt it in my upper chest. Same feeling?

I never had the band, so I can't compare. I just get a full, tight feeling. I don't know what would happen if I continued to drink becuase I always stop. It wouldn't make sense to keep going. I usually just wait 5-10 minutes and then I can gulp down a few more ounces, wait 5-10 more minutes and gulp some more. I suppose it would make more sense to sip more during exercise, so I don't need to gulp so much at the end. I'm still learning too.

Never experienced anything with Water since I squirt small amounts of water in my mouth frequently, however I did have one experience within the first couple months where I drank too much milk too fast and it came up. Now that I'm farther out, I can handle everything much better. I'm sure you could up chuck water if too much is taken too fast

Thank you all for your responses. This has been really helpful and makes me feel more confident about getting the sleeve. I am meeting the doctor this week so I will make a final decision. Wish me luck!

My only negative is my hair loss. But Hair loss s a small price to pay for being 4 months out and 80 lbs lighter! It's the BEST decision I've made in my life. Good luck!!

Sent from my iPad using VST

Nothing. I researched every big and little aspect of this surgery. No surprises at all

Sent from my iPhone using VST

I have another question for you ex banders. What are the food differences from band to sleeve. I know with the band I couldn't eat rice or salad. Anything off limits with the sleeve?

My mother and I got the band in 2008, self pay because our insurances wouldn't cover it, $13,000each. Biggest mistake of my life. Nothing but problems from day 1. Hardly lost any weight unless I was having complications vomiting constantly or not being able to eat. Over the 5 years had sliming, slippage, pouch dilation, acid reflux, I was working out, still taking phentramine, seeing a nutritionist and was still not losing. Made my life hell for me and my son (now 5). I've spend over $5,000 in last 2 years in doctors offices and hospitals from complications. I couldn't eat most meats, most veggies, had to be rushed to the doctor because I had a piece of apple stuck in the band and they had to open it.

I finally had the band removed and was sleeved on Dec 10th. I don't have the port pain any more, I can lay on my stomach again, I can eat and I'm actually full with my tiny amounts of food. I was hungry most the time with the band. I wouldn't wish it on my ex husband who I hate.

My mom hasn't had the complications as bad, but she throws up most her food, extreme pain in her shoulder at 5yrs out still. Again her insurance will not cover the surgery, she's looking at just having it removed and be done with WLS all together, she'll have to pay out of pocket. She only has lost 30lbs of the 160 excess pounds in 5yrs and that was during the first 6 months.

I really recommend going on you tube and listen to the stories of the band, and reading Ex bander experiences. I'm a single mother since my sons birth. I've missed out on so much because of that stupid band.

Thanks for your reply Asherje. Sounds like you had a similar experience that I had. Are you glad you got sleeved? I know it's pretty early still but does it feel similar to the band or what are the differences?

My mother and I got the band in 2008, self pay because our insurances wouldn't cover it, $13,000each. Biggest mistake of my life. Nothing but problems from day 1. Hardly lost any weight unless I was having complications vomiting constantly or not being able to eat. Over the 5 years had sliming, slippage, pouch dilation, acid reflux, I was working out, still taking phentramine, seeing a nutritionist and was still not losing. Made my life hell for me and my son (now 5). I've spend over $5,000 in last 2 years in doctors offices and hospitals from complications. I couldn't eat most meats, most veggies, had to be rushed to the doctor because I had a piece of apple stuck in the band and they had to open it.

I finally had the band removed and was sleeved on Dec 10th. I don't have the port pain any more, I can lay on my stomach again, I can eat and I'm actually full with my tiny amounts of food. I was hungry most the time with the band. I wouldn't wish it on my ex husband who I hate.

My mom hasn't had the complications as bad, but she throws up most her food, extreme pain in her shoulder at 5yrs out still. Again her insurance will not cover the surgery, she's looking at just having it removed and be done with WLS all together, she'll have to pay out of pocket. She only has lost 30lbs of the 160 excess pounds in 5yrs and that was during the first 6 months.

I really recommend going on you tube and listen to the stories of the band, and reading Ex bander experiences. I'm a single mother since my sons birth. I've missed out on so much because of that stupid band.

Well I just got back from my doctor's appointment and I feel more nervous now about the surgery. I felt confident and certain after reading everyone's postings, and I can't thank you enough for the feedback. I went in there feeling good but still had questions. I know my doctor is being honest with me and that is what I want since I had such a hard time with the band. But he said certain things that made me think twice. I don't want to discourage any sleevers out there so my apologies if it does. He told me that statistically that 20% of sleevers in 5 years will gain weight. And could lead to another surgery whether it's resleeving or doing another WLS. That scared me. I can't keep going through surgery every 5 years. Grant it I hope I am the 80% that succeeds but I have to be realistic. Sigh, any words of wisdom?