Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How to lose a perfectly good band.

Just want to put my story of how I lost my band out here... It will probably be a little long ... so sorry about that. OnSept 30th I went to my Regular Doctor with severe flu symptoms my stomach was killing me. Walking into the building I collapsed my knees just gave out. The Dr took my blood pressure and it was very very low. He called 911 and had me moved to the er. after being treated for dehydration and trying to get my bp up. (which is strange because i have highblood pressure). I was then admitted. After being in my hospital room for about 20 minutes I drank a couple of little juice things that have in there and out of no where i broke out into cold sweats and the room started to swirls around me.... my bp had dropped really bad and reall fast..... they very quickly moved me to icu and tried to figure out what was going on.. being a stuborn man i am i fought with them on putting a central line iv in my neck ... they knocked me out and i woke up four days later by puling the breathing tube out of my own throat at 2 am. While i was out. 3 arteries around my colon burst and dumped 8 out of the 10 pints of blood in my body into my stomach. I dont know all the details but and dont realy want to, but i do know the dr had to do 2 surgeries to fix it .. in between the surgeries they had me iced down. They removed my band ( they say to limit the change of infection.) I belive because they didnt know what else to do to fix the problem. ( the surgeon is a lap band doctor as well as the hospitals top gi surgeon). Today marks 1 month since i walked into the dr office and today, I havebeen home for a week and have been told by most nurses and doctors involved I am lucky to be here and progresses as far and fast as i have. My home care nurse said it will be about a year before i am 100%. I can walk from my bedroom to the bathroom kitchen or living room but thats about it. i had dialysis for 2 weeks because with the blood loss my kidneys shut down thatkfully They are working about 50% and the dr thinks they will come back more in time. So now all i have to do is get strength back and in 3 month go back for another surgery to reverse the colostomy they gave me...... well sorry for making this so long but i needed to type it... oh and by the way i would have had my band for 1 year nov 18th and i lost 95 pounds.

Joe

WOW!!! Well Joe, I am sure glad you pulled through all of that. Things can happen quickly! Did they ever say what had caused the original burst of the arteries in the colon?

We went through something similar with my DH not long ago (less than 1 month). He had heart valve repair 2 months ago, and had been on coumadin as a blood thinner for about 5 months. He was set to go back to work, when he ended up with bronchitis. The antibiotics the Dr. gave him for the bronchitis, made his sick at his stomach. When he couldn't take it anymore, and threw it up, he tore the back of the esophagus loose from the stomach bilaterally on both sides. He began just pouring blood out. His blood was so thin from the months of thinner, that he would not clot off. It was horrible, they were giving him huge amounts of Vitamin K (clotting agent), and plasma. He ended up with an allergic reaction to the plasma (they think it was the preservative in it!) He too ended up in ICU for days. They had us call in the family, thinking he would likely not make it. They tried an experiment with balloon compression internally and managed to save him. We lost count at how many transfusuions they gave him. He too dropped his BP to levels they could not pick anything up, and coded him, 3 times over the first 7 hours. In the end, it looks like he will be fine, although they rebroke his sternum, from where it had been cut for the open heart surgery, so he is hurting pretty bad again. But he recovered from that once, and knows he can again.

Our Dr. told me that if something like that happen to me, it would require removal of my band! Due to the necessity of quick insertion of an endoscope, or an NG tube, for drainage of the stomach he said. So while I hate that you lost yours, I guess it is pretty common in serious cases. And as much as you loved your band, you sure don't want any additional problems such as infection.

I am so glad like I say to know you made it through this!! You can hang in there until you regain your health and find out WHY this happen. If you can be rebanded then, that would be nice, if not, we will all be here trying to be supportive in that case too. Take good care of yourself, try to walk as much as you are allowed. I will keep you in my prayers.

Kat

Thank you for the prayer and good thoughts they are appreciated... The dr says he knows how and when it happened but no clue why.

So very sorry to hear about this Joe. I hope you have a speedy anc complete recovery.

I cannot even pretend to understand how scary this must have been. I"m glad that you are gaining your strength back. I know how daunting it must seem, but you can do it! Post when you feel up to it, we will be here for you.

Strength and Courage!

Crystal

Phew! Goodness, Id say you ARE lucky to be here. The heck with the band.. you are 95 pounds lighter now. Thats a reason to smile. :P

Hang in there - and PLEASE keep us posted on your outcome!

Giving up the band I know was was hard.......but I have had MRSA...the dreaded hospital infection ....that is resistant to antibiotic and it is a trip from hell. I was sent home with a pic line.( IV to the heart) I had to administer my own antibiotics via IV for 10 week. I'm glad your home and on the mend...Take one day at a time. Get strong and the rest will fall into place. Thank God you lost all that weight it made the emergency surgery much easier for you and the doctors....God bless and keep in touch.......just know we all really do care about you!

Banded Aug7,2006 Dr Fielding NYU Medical Center, NYC

Yikes! What a horrible situation, but with a wonderful ending....you're alive!

Like spunky said, "one day at a time". Your story had made me appreciate my good health and not take it for granted...God Bless.

Well, we are all glad you were able to leave us that post. It means you are ALIVE. That is a life changing event for sure. I'm so happy that you pulled thru, even though it sounds like you have a long road ahead of you to complete recovery, the fact is you are alive and that is wonderful!

thank you all for your well wishes. i truly feel for you spunky. I also had a pic line and they considered sending it home with me to continue to get Iron and antibiotics. but they decided to remove it before i left.

I am so glad you pulled through, I pray that you continue to be stronger each day. I hope you "see the morning" , which is when a lot of miracles happen. I found it hard to not dwell on the experience of what happened to me. I did a lot of reflecting, soul searching as it was. An amazing time. Dont rush yourself, but allow yourself the time it will take to mend properly.

What a tremendous journey you had.

And here you are!

To tell you the truth in some ways I am thankful it happened. Sounds stupid since i almost died lost a band i paid 14 grand for, and the family is in real money problems since my works short term disability hasnt kicked in yet. But it made me wake up to what really matters , i trully dont get angry anymore, things that seemed like a big deal no longer matter. In some ways i think it was a message. I just hope and pray that i dont lose that message in time.

It is just money J. Yes it is important but your life and health are more. You will get thru this time of tight money . It may get a little worse before it gets better but it WILL be better. And hopefully you will be bouncing around in no time!!

Take care.. stay stress free as possible and enjoy life.