Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How to get enough protein

Hey guys I'm 4 days post op and struggling on how to get enough Protein in my diet. I have a sf carnation instant Breakfast for breakfast. Soup for lunch and rarely have dinner. I try to sneak another shake inbetween meals, but don't really like drinking them. I'm on the liquids right now and only have two more days until I move into "baby food/ puréed " diet. I add unflavored protein to my shakes but still don't feel I'm getting enough.

I have been using 4 oz of skim milk with 1 scoop of protien powder, a little flavoring, 4 times a day sometimes I freeze in and eat it like ice cream, still struggling myself. I was sleeved on the 26th of Dec. Don't know if that helped. the first 3 days I wasn't able to get it all in.

It comes with time.... Work up to it. Worry about hydration and getting rest and healing. The more you can eat, the more Protein you can get in. I like to get up early and start with a Protein Shake. If I wake up late...Bleh. Ill never get it all in.

I agree with the other member who say be more concerned with liquids than Protein right now.

And don't stay completely way from fats like 2% or whole milk, etc. after you get away from Clear Liquids. Your body needs some fats to burn the weight off.

chicken broth, lived on that for a long while and powders?utm_source=BariatricPal&utm_medium=Affiliate&utm_campaign=CommentLink" target="_ad" data-id="1" >unjury Protein products. Some of those store bought things are just inedable.

Sixteen months out now and and am living on cottage cheese with peaches or blueberries, sliced cheese, chicken breasts, and almonds, etc. Down 90 lbs to a BMI of 25.3.

I don't eat meals, I eat when I am hungry and stop the second that I feel full, even if it's after just three bites.

But, I digress. Just get your liquids in and as much protien as you can.

I have discovered a GREAT product that I get at Walmart called 'Super PROTEIN ultimate recoevery fuel' by BODY FORTRESS, little 2.9 fl oz tubes of fruit Punch, 26 GRAMS of PROTEIN!, Box of six only $10.00, one of those in the morning and you have half your protein already.

But sip, sip. sip is what your body needs to heal.

Good luck, Steve

I agree with the other member who say be more concerned with liquids than Protein right now.

And don't stay completely way from fats like 2% or whole milk' date=' etc.after you get away from Clear Liquids. Your body needs some fats to burn the weight off.

chicken broth, lived on that for a long while and unjury Protein products. Some of those store bought things are just inedable.

Sixteen months out now and and am living on cottage cheese with peaches or bluebarries, sliced cheese, chicken breasts, and almonds, etc. Down 90 lbs to a BMI of 25.3.

I don't eat meals, I eat when I am hungry and stop the second that I feel full, even if it's after just three bites.

But, I digress. Just get your liquids in and as much protien as you can.

I have discovered a GREAT product that I get at Walmart called 'Super PROTEIN ultimate recoevery fuel' by BODY FORTRESS, little 2.9 fl oz tubes of fruit Punch, 26 GRAMS of PROTEIN!, Box of six only 10.00, one of those in the morning and you have half your protien already.

But sip, sip. sip is what your body needs to heal.

Good luck, Stevve[/quote']

Here I go being a broken record again

DO NOT WASTE YOUR MONEY ON PROTEIN SHOTS!!!

Protein Shots are collagen/gelatin Proteins. They are completely useless to the human body.

Please don't take this as a personal attack, it just seems that the list of people being scammed into believing they are benefiting from these tubes of garbage is endless.

I find it so upsetting that the FDA will not regulate the supplement industry and make these protein shots list the same warnings that foods & drugs that contain collagen/gelatin are required to.

Here is a link to a thread that explains it a bit better

http://www.verticalsleevetalk.com/topic/49499-always-check-the-ingredients-all-proteins-are-not-equal/

Here I go being a broken record again

DO NOT WASTE YOUR MONEY ON Protein SHOTS!!!

Protein Shots are collagen/gelatin Proteins. They are completely useless to the human body.

Please don't take this as a personal attack, it just seems that the list of people being scammed into believing they are benefiting from these tubes of garbage is endless.

I find it so upsetting that the FDA will not regulate the supplement industry and make these Protein shots list the same warnings that foods & drugs that contain collagen/gelatin are required to.

Here is a link to a thread that explains it a bit better

http://www.verticals...-are-not-equal/

O.T.R., what would you suggest as an effective protein supplement? Would like to know what works well!

Then you need to update your information, OTR, to reflect that there *are* non collagen/gelatin Protein shots available on the market. You keep saying the same thing to people, but your information isn't accurate. While most of them aren't 100% whey, there is an all whey Protein shot available.

The Yes Whey Protein Shots by Protica were given to me in the hospital and are the only shots that my surgeon would let me have. They are 25g of protein per tube and they are 100% whey protein.

O.T.R.' date=' what would you suggest as an effective Protein supplement? Would like to know what works well![/quote']

The best is whey Protein isolate. Like:

unjury

nectar

Isopure (powder or RTD)

Cytosport (RTD)

Then there are whey protein concentrates, milk Proteins, egg Proteins, and vegetable proteins. One caveat here being you are much more likely to develop a lactose intolerance in the early post op phases. Thought not the best, still good.

Chike

Premier Protein (RTD)

VPX Protein Rush (RTD)

Jay Robb (egg protein)

Nutiva Hemp 15g (hemp protein)

Then there are incomplete vegetable proteins. These are good when mixed with other proteins to create a complete amino acute structure.

Most common are soy & pea proteins. Soy is commonly mistaken as a complete protein, but needs to be combined with other foods to create a complete amino structure.

Then you need to update your information' date=' OTR, to reflect that there *are* non collagen/gelatin Protein shots available on the market. You keep saying the same thing to people, but your information isn't accurate. While most of them aren't 100% whey, there is an all whey Protein shot available.

The Yes Whey Protein Shots by Protica were given to me in the hospital and are the only shots that my surgeon would let me have. They are 25g of protein per tube and they are 100% whey protein. [/quote']

You are correct, Yes Whey is a real whey protein shot. It does use Whey Protein Isolate.

However, it was exclusive to Bariatric Advantage it is only recently that it has become more widely available. It is also somewhat expensive with a cost of about $4 per shot.

I do not typically mention these because there are literally dozens of protein shots on the market, many of which use the word Whey in their names. Unfortunately people do not read the ingredients, many infact don't do any research at all. They see someone post the words protein shot & group them all together.

These shots ARE NOT sold at Walmart or GNC.

You are correct, Yes whey is a real whey Protein shot. It does use Whey Protein Isolate.

However, it was exclusive to Bariatric Advantage it is only recently that it has become more widely available. It is also somewhat expensive with a cost of about $4 per shot.

I do not typically mention these because there are literally dozens of Protein Shots on the market, many of which use the word Whey in their names. Unfortunately people do not read the ingredients, many infact don't do any research at all. They see someone post the words protein shot & group them all together.

These shots ARE NOT sold at Walmart or GNC.

I can't speak for others, but the majority of my sleeve related dietary purchases, from sweeteners to Vitamins, bars and protein powders are done online to save expense. If someone wants to use protein shots (I find them hideous tasting, personally, but to each their own) then it seems far more constructive to point them in the right direction at least than to tell them that there is no acceptable alternative. The goal here is to educate, yes? We *should* be looking at the labels of what we eat. We *should* be discriminating consumers. While it does get annoying to say the same thing many times, each person that takes the information to heart is one more educated in the proper information who can, in turn, educate others.

I don't mind repeating myself, I fear that I will be viewed as the "anti Protein shot guy". I'll continue to try to steer people away from collagen/gelatin as long as I am here. I just don't want to get pigeon holed, much like Iggy has been.

Unfortunately her story has gotten lost, and many people label as the angel of doom without understanding how she came to her perspective.

I just don't want to fall into that trap. Because much like her, I have so much more to offer.

PURE Protein Shakes from Walmart!!!!! It is 12oz it contains 23g of Protein and only 120 calories! I drink one for breakfast and one at night. I also eat one can of cream of cheddar Soup and mix skim milk with it...the shakes are awesome and inexpensive..around $2 per shake

Lol, wow, I never thought that the suggestions of a Protein 'shot' would creat a firestorm.

They seemed to have worked well for me as an occasional supplement, but I am NOT a expert in these things, and have found that there is always more that can be learned about them, so I would concur with reading up on the differences of Protein liquids.

I got an education on Calcium supplements when I was informed and then verified it myself that only a certain form of Calcium, calcium citrate, is actually absorbed by people with sleeves; the other forms are useless and a waste of money.

I don't mind repeating myself, I fear that I will be viewed as the "anti Protein shot guy". I'll continue to try to steer people away from collagen/gelatin as long as I am here. I just don't want to get pigeon holed, much like Iggy has been.

Unfortunately her story has gotten lost, and many people label as the angel of doom without understanding how she came to her perspective.

I just don't want to fall into that trap. Because much like her, I have so much more to offer.

That's why I'm just offering the suggestion to temper what is very good advice with a positive addition. Rather than being the Protein shot doom and gloom guy, you can be the guy who's educating on why most Protein Shots aren't a good dietary choice (which you're doing, though the tone is a bit strident and seems a tad exasperated), and offering an alternative for those who want to use protein shots as a dietary addition. You can put it all in a nice, concise copypasta and then when the subject comes up? Done.

We should be getting most of our dietary needs met through real, actual food. Life is busy, though, and we're all at different stages. Some of us are just recovering, some of us are still pretty new to this, and some of us have been at it a long time. What's going to help make this successful for all of us is by having solid, reliable information and resources to fall back on.