Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Typical rate of weight loss

I don't know if this is considered a taboo question or not because I know that people very WIDELY on how fast or slow they lose weight but what is the general sort of expected rate of weight loss for the sleeve. Most of my research went into an RNY so i feel like I know that range pretty well but at the last-ish minute we decided to go with the sleeve and so now I am lacking details like this.

I think you kind of answered your own question because it does vary so widley lol. It is true us VSGers don't (typically) lose weight as fast as RNY patients though. I lost 30lbs my first month. I was very happy with that. I've seen people who lose close to 40, and seen others who lose 15. Its tough to answer this question when its such a subjective thing :)

Oh but if you mean over all weight loss they say VSGers lose 60-65 percent of their excess body weight (I think? I've seen people quote up to 70 percent but unsure on that) Of course that is also subjective because people can lose WAY more or WAY less. Its up to the person :)

Yeah my surgeon and I were talking about how sort of ridiculous it was to put a number like 60 or 70 percent of weight loss because I feel that except for at the very begining and the very end, its up to you how it goes. I do understand that there is a typical average, and thats just what that is.

hey hun good morning and congrats on your sleeve,

My doctor told me that the first month there is a drastic weight loss and that is because we lose Water weight. As fallen angel had already mentioned, some lose 15 others lose 30 and some may lose even more, i lost 31 pounds the first time. But after my first month i went to my doctors appointment he said that i should lose 2.2 pounds a week 1kg that is 8 to 9 pounds a week and he advised me to stay close to that because at that rate my skin will be able to catch to my weight loss and tighten up faster. But sometimes i go through 1 week or so stalls so i dont lose anything that week and i might make it up the next week and he said that some months i might lose some one week and stall for the next three.

Sorry for the long reply, all in all... you should be losing 8 pounds a month and that is healthy :) Good luck

2318.gif

I was sleeved on 12.12.12... On the day of surgery I was 258.4 lbs... This morning I weighed 236.6 lbs... I am VERY happy with my progress so far, but I don't expect it to stay like this! If I lose 1-2 lbs a week consistently, I will be happy!

It is all very subjective. No one should say that you should lose 8-9 pounds a month and this is good. If you have say 200 pounds to lose is this good, really? It is up to you OP. I had only 73 pounds to lose and at 15 weeks out have 15 more pounds to reach my goal. You get out of it what you put into it. You CAN reach your goal weight!!!

I seem to be going up and Down with my weight. Is this normal. I'm not cheating at all ... Maybe not eating enough. My op was October 2012.

hey hun good morning and congrats on your sleeve' date='

My doctor told me that the first month there is a drastic weight loss and that is because we lose Water weight. As fallen angel had already mentioned, some lose 15 others lose 30 and some may lose even more, i lost 31 pounds the first time. But after my first month i went to my doctors appointment he said that i should lose 2.2 pounds a week 1kg that is 8 to 9 pounds a week and he advised me to stay close to that because at that rate my skin will be able to catch to my weight loss and tighten up faster. But sometimes i go through 1 week or so stalls so i dont lose anything that week and i might make it up the next week and he said that some months i might lose some one week and stall for the next three.

Sorry for the long reply, all in all... you should be losing 8 pounds a month and that is healthy :) Good luck

[/quote']

Thank you for this post. You managed to answer so many questions I had. I am considering VGS. I choose this procedure, because I will still be accountable for my weigt loss. I still had the main concern about the sagging/loose skin. Are you doing anything to aid in the tightening of you skin? i.e. moisturization, weights, etc

Thank you for this post. You managed to answer so many questions I had. I am considering VGS. I choose this procedure, because I will still be accountable for my weigt loss. I still had the main concern about the sagging/loose skin. Are you doing anything to aid in the tightening of you skin? i.e. moisturization, weights, etc

Hey! No, not really. As a healthcare professional I can tell you that legitimately there is not a TON you can do about sagging skin. I will take care of it the way I will take care of the rest of my skin but the bottom line is that how well you skin pulls back in has almost everything to do with genetics. For me, I would rather have skin than fat and all the health problems associated with that. Tummy tucks are not as pricey as you might think they are so if you can save for that go ahead and save.

At 13 weeks out now I average around 2 - 2.5 lbs a week. I am anticipating approximately 10 lbs per month and if it is more then that's great. If less, OK, too. It took a lifetime to get this fat so I'm not splitting hairs on how fast I can rip it off.

nursegrace said it all, there is not much to do about sagging skin :( although i try so hard to keep my skin moisturized and am drinking enough Water to stay hydrates plus exercise :)