Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

chronic constipation

Getting right to the point: I have my first appt with surgeon in a couple of weeks. I have had chronic and hard to manage Constipation problems for years. Currently I use 1 tbsp of metamucil once or twice a day. Once or twice every week I have to add in 1-2 docusate sodium caps also. I have to really stay on top of this or I get into big trouble. Can I manage this the same after being banded? Anyone else have this problem pre -band? thanks in advance

I have had a problem with Constipation for alot of years. After getting the band I was in heaven the first few week of liquids, it made me go about 4 or 5 times a day and it was easy if you know what I mean.

Once I went back onto solids the constipation came back and has been worse really because at least before I ate alot of food and could pooh something out, now I eat such smaller amounts it just seems worse.

There is only one thing I have tried that really works for me but it is a colon cleanse and not a regular thing...so if you find out anything that helps let me know.

Good Luck with your surgery.

I know what you mean about the Constipation. Mine has really gotten worse since being banded. My dietician suggested Benefiber, that didn't work for me, also ground flax seed, it seems to work if you remember to add it to your yogurt or Cereal, or whatever. I haven't really found anything that works great. I have however been drinking a large (16oz) or more of apple juice a day. That seems to keep things flowing. Best of luck.

I really was suffering after being banded. Before the band I had the opposite problem. What has helped me is eating a container of Activia every day. I don't know how or why it works, but for me it is working. Nothing else worked and I had to resort to enema's twice to get some relief. Now since starting the Activia I've been fine.

Y'd think with all the Water we drink, Constipation would not be an issue, but it is for me too, but in all fairness, it was prior to being banded too.

If I could get past that texture of the Activia, but I hate milk products, except ice cream of course.

Post band for me, I take Benefiber once a day and a ducosate capsule once a week. No fun, but better than the consequence.

I never had problems until after banding. The trick, for me, is to up my fiber intake. I would stay away from any bulking agents. I use Benefiber, Activa yogurt (recent), and try to drink my Water.

Shawn

You know, I'm glad this came up. Pre-op I wasn't much of a go-er. Once or twice a week (been that way my whole life), but not Constipation. Lately I've been having some problems. I have to go, start to go, and part way through I just can't go any more... leaving things kind of "stuck"... halfway in, halfway out. Wow, I'm really foregoing dignity at the expense of this thread! It has also been a bit painful. I couldn't find any stool softeners that were chewable and non-laxitive, so I tried removing the liquid from a stool softener capsule. That was a really bad idea, so my burning mouth and throat was telling me as much as 3 hours after the effort. I tried the flax seed (was my best friend during my Atkins days) but my band doesn't like things with flaxseed meal in it. So this weekend I bought some chewable fiber tablets... don't know the brand but I'm hoping they will help.

BTW - if any of you are upping your fiber, make sure you up your Water too. You need to keep it hydrated. Too much fiber can cause an impaction... if you don't keep your fluids up the fiber can actually dry out what's already in the intestinal tract, and when it can't move, but there's still more stuff being piled on top of it, there's only one direction it can go. I've helped care for someone going through this and it isn't pretty.

Glad to know this subject has been addressed. I am having the same problems, after beginning on more solid foods. Will try the apple juice and Activa regimin first, also am going to try adding fiber capsules.

I have always used Acidophilus (sp?). It is the bacteria in your gut that helps this and the acidophilus tends to keep these bacteria at the right levels. Flaxseed also helps. I try to keep to the naturopathic way and not take too many laxatives because your stomach can become dependent on them. There is a new one out that doesn't have that problem. My son is on it, it is called Miralax. Works great for him and the gastroenterologist doctor says that it is not habit forming so you can take it everyday if necessary.

Getting right to the point: I have my first appt with surgeon in a couple of weeks. I have had chronic and hard to manage Constipation problems for years. Currently I use 1 tbsp of metamucil once or twice a day. Once or twice every week I have to add in 1-2 docusate sodium caps also. I have to really stay on top of this or I get into big trouble. Can I manage this the same after being banded? Anyone else have this problem pre -band? thanks in advance

I was getting constipated after my lapband surgery quite often. The only thing that has worked for me is a prescription powder called Polyethelene Glycol 3350, NF Powder for Oral Solution. Just mix with coffee or tea or Water every morning and it works great. I have not had a problem since I started taking it. Was banded in 04 and have lost 150 lbs so far. Good luck and give this stuff a try and you will be regular again.:party: Bob

I just looked at my Miralax bottle, and it's the same thing as Polyethelene Glycol 3350. Miralax used to be prescription only, but is now available over-the-counter in the US. It's not one of those harsh laxatives, so it doesn't make the procedure of going to the bathroom painful.