Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Telling workers or not... and rumors to come

So....

I discussing with my mom whether I want to tell my boss about my surgery in order to take days off but i know how that would go.

"So and so is off for a few weeks, she's getting WLS" and then it goes from one person to the next. And then the whole office knows.

How did you go about this situation.?

I was thinking about taking vacation days for my surgery. But what happens when everyone notices my rapid weight loss, or questions me about my liquid diets when i refuse to order take out with them..etc.

Friends and family are different but how do you deal with co-workers.

I said I was having my gall bladder removed. Weight loss is from the nausea after surgery and you are supposed to eat low fat after the surgery because your body can't process fats as well any more and you will get sick. Then just say you are on a strict diet.

I thought about just saying a "personal" surgery, but that always offends people that you don't trust them enough to share. It was easier just to lie. They can speculate all they want. After you start really losing weight, you won't even care what people think about how you lost it.

That's awesome! Congrats! Yes that is a great idea. Thank you so much!!!!

You should just tell the truth. If you are having the surgery for health reasons, which I’m sure most of us are, why not tell your boss. This surgery is to make you healthier. Why lie, when the truth will do. Besides, you might be pleasantly surprised by the support you receive. We live in an information age and as much as we think people are gullible and stupid, they aren't, when they notice the weight loss and you eating smaller portions this is just going to fuel gossip and unnecessary attention. Star Jones is a prime example. Educate those who don't know.

That's awesome! Congrats! Yes that is a great idea. Thank you so much!!!!

But what will you do when u actually need your gallbladder taken out of heard of ppl needing this done months after surgery

But what will you do when u actually need your gallbladder taken out of heard of ppl needing this done months after surgery

Exactly. Then here comes another lie.

Honestly I would just tell your coworkers. I did, and they have been super supportive. I did this for me, not for anyone else, and if they want to judge me or think I took the easy way out, let them. I don't care, I know how hard I tried to lose weight for the last 10 years to no avail, and this was the best option. I am 4 days post-op and am already off diabetes medication and am already down 10 lbs. Good luck on whatever you do.

I had to tell my bosses because I was asking for FMLA. much to my suprise.. they were very supportive of what I was doing.. I didnt tell all the co-workers.. just ones I knew would not blab my business.. I told them I was having stomach surgery and that was all. and thats not really a lie.

I too struggled with that question...

I did not feel comfortable telling everyone my

personal business. Everyone is different and will

be able to make their own choice on how OR who

to tell, it is very normal.

I personally choose to tell only 2 people at work,

as I knew I was going to need their support when I

came back. Someone needed to know why I needed

to eat small bites and drink through out the day...

I am a restaurant manager and find it hard to step

off the floor to take care of myself...they will make sure

that I am taking care of what I need.

As for the rest of them...I simply told them I was having

a major Hiatal Hernia repair... (which I DID have)

this is the same laparoscopic procedure and same recovery time...

I know as I proceed through all my changes, I will include more

into my circle of trust...but that will be on MY term...NOT theirs...

I/You will be able to control some of the nasty gossip...

but work place gossip will always be there, control what you

can...the rest is not worth worrying about. I wish you the best

of luck...

I took vacation time to recovery but arranged for FMLA with our HR dept, just in case something bad happened and I needed more time off. I had a hernia repaired dying surgery and told some of my coworkers about that when I returned to work.

Honestly, I was dieting pre-op so it hasn't been a shock to anyone that I'm losing weight. I I can keep the weight off this time folks may be surprised :)

You know, I don't like to lie and yet I was going to hide this surgery. Life got in the way so I'm glad I didn't attempt to lie (I had major complications and was bedridden a couple of months as well as hospitalized several weeks). In my mind lying just leads you down another dirty path and really, why lie? If you were leaving for heart surgery would you keep it a secret?

I prefer to tell my secrets so that they don't become the fodder for gossip. It's no fun to gossip about the girl who told already :) I've always been this way and it's so much easier than getting trapped in a web of lies. You look like such a fool as well when it's clear you were lying, which hurts your credibility both in your personal life and work life. Go at it full force and embrace what you are doing and no one can have anything to gossip about except how good you look!

I will give you another perspective though....I am "the boss" and if I was told by a staff member that they needed to leave for medical reasons, aside from requiring the usual doctor waivers etc, the fact that you are going to be out or even why if I happened to know the details would NEVER pass my lips! NEVER NEVER NEVER! My answer would be "shes out for a couple of days" and nothing more. This is both a legal and ethical requirement of a boss. If you are worried and do consider it a secret, be sure to be very clear that you do not want this known by anyone.

That said, you will be acting differently at the office and might need more time off than you ask for if you have complications. Upfront and honest is the only way to be IMO as that will garner you support where as a lie will result in quite the opposite situation. Just my 3 cents :P Best of luck whatever you do.

So....

I discussing with my mom whether I want to tell my boss about my surgery in order to take days off but i know how that would go.

"So and so is off for a few weeks, she's getting WLS" and then it goes from one person to the next. And then the whole office knows.

How did you go about this situation.?

I was thinking about taking vacation days for my surgery. But what happens when everyone notices my rapid weight loss, or questions me about my liquid diets when i refuse to order take out with them..etc.

Friends and family are different but how do you deal with co-workers.

well itnis really no ones business when you think about it; as for telling your supervisor, as far as i know, you dont have to tell them what tupe of surgery, just that you are having surgery, if you dont think they will support you, why tell them anyway...

I told my boss I was having a laparoscopic stomach surgery due to an issue with acid reflux. I work at a small law firm, I'm using vaca days and I said if I needed longer I would go on disability. If people notice the weight coming off well ill just say its 2013 and I have a resolution for the new year. You don't have to tell anyone you don't want to know! Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using VST

I simply said that I was having surgery that would require me to be out for 3 weeks. Nothing more. I'm private at work though so everyone respected my decision not to say more. I told my "work wife" and that was all.

I know, I know! Oh what a tangled web we weave , when we practice to deceive! I ended up with a leak and had to tell more lies about why I was so sick and in the hospital for so long. I probably should have told the truth, but I didn't have the guts and frankly was embarrassed that I had to resort to surgery to lose weight when I was only 22. I know I shouldn't be , I wish I had the confidence in myself that most people have on here.

I am really paranoid that something will happen with my gall bladder, but it's been five months and no issues yet . Trust me, this is a big fear of mine! Knock on wood. All I can do is hope and pray everything is fine with my gallbladder.

So yes, telling the truth is your best bet , but I was just sharing my experience as far as what I told my coworkers. They are VERY judgmental people.