Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

going under for VGS surgery

complications with VGS and/or hiatal hernia

breaking up with food (we've had a life long relationship that has not been all bad)

post op eating (I love to cook and try new things, I dont want that to change)

having surgery to get off meds-high blood pressure, high cholesteral, angina-what if that doesn't happen

not being successful at losing the weight and dissappointing myself and my family

As you can see I am scared ( but also very excited ) about my 12/26/2012 VSG surgery date. Any support would be appreciated. I know just reading some of the other forums have been helpful but also a bit scary too.

I'm scared of:

Any complications from surgery -- from leaks to being afraid that I will have so much swelling that I can't drink Water.

It being obvious I had WLS surgery when I am out with my friends for lunch and such.

Not being able to maintain a healthy weight. I feel confidant that I will lose my excess weight, though.

Loose skin

Im scared that my alarm clock wont go off in time for surgery, lol!!

My surgery is on 12/26 also!

Good luck!

I am afraid of a leak.

Afraid of going through this process and not losing "enough" weight.

Afraid of having an emotional melt down from not having food to turn to (this pre op diet has been VERY hard for me)

Afraid I will have to stay in the hospital longer than expected or having a complication.

Afraid I will not be able to return to normal as quickly as I would want.

My surgery is also December 26 and I am ready for the other side.

10 weeks post op and I was afraid of all the things mentioned above too.. my main fear was going through this and failing... again.. But I actually think I am going to succeed.. This surgery has meade it so easy.. The main thing is not having to depend on will power alone. The restriction of the intake has made it tolerable, even easy.. All of the things you that have been metioned are true possibilities but the final outcome will be worth it. Dont forget to focus on the prize! Health and normalcy! Even if some of you experience some of your fears, you will overcome and make it to the finish line! GOOD LUCK!

To all of you, Your fears are normal. Keep us updated. We care.

Things I’m worried about (in no particular order):

· complications or leaks

· becoming insane with mood swings

· bad acne (ah, hormones)

· not being able to get enough liquids in to the point of dehydration

· sliming

· sex drive not improving (it is currently low because I feel so awful about myself)

· hair loss

· not being able to find foods that I enjoy due to changed taste buds

You guys are going to do great! I am 3 and a half months out and can enjoy all the foods I could pre-op. I love cooking too! It is soooo nice to get satisfied with eating a FRACTION of what I could before. Eating out with friends........I still use the excuse that I am seriously trying to lose weight for a change and according to myfitnesspal I can only eat just a little. Friends will understand without you giving yourself away.

Remember complications are uncommon. And very normal to worry about. In fact, I think that was my first post on here was about leaks. THIS SITE is a great source of support! USE IT! I really wish you all the best- I am so excited because for this year, for Christmas I am LOSING weight not putting on the usually 10- 15 pounds! You are going to rock your sleeve- I have no doubts!

These are just fears. What we fear in our minds, seldom come to reality. Face the fear and do it anyway.....You will be totally excited with the results. and btw, you will learn new eating habits that will help you maintain you hot sexy new body! :)

How about being scared enough not to make a change? Or as previous mentioned, failing again?

You might have to face some of the listed fears. Yes, I had an emotional breakdown in front of a buffet place about two months after surgery. I wanted to gorge and couldn't. Balled my eyes out mourning the feeling of stuffed to the gills.

May I suggest each of you make a list of what you want from this surgery? Rather than list your fears, list your dreams. I want surgery because....

• walk without my thighs rubbing together with an uncomfortable rash, forcing me to wear bike shorts under my skirts
  • be active either in a gym or outside
  • eat food without people staring at me like I have eaten their meal too
  • be here for my family in 5 years, 10 year, 20 years
  • people to see who I am on the inside and stop judging how I look on the outside. Accept my opinion at work, don't brush me off because I am fat
  • Be an example to my children, if something is wrong...take action to correct it
  • Believe in myself again
  • Know I was not the failure I saw in the mirror

Know there are risks to this surgery, but for me. I love my sleeve and have no regrets.

There are other threads with lists of wishes and dreams and I listed those long before I listed my fears. Surgery is just a little over 3 weeks away for me and these are my fears, but none of them are going to stop me from making this very important life change.

going under for VGS surgery

complications with VGS and/or hiatal hernia

breaking up with food (we've had a life long relationship that has not been all bad)

post op eating (I love to cook and try new things' date=' I dont want that to change)

having surgery to get off meds-high blood pressure, high cholesteral, angina-what if that doesn't happen

not being successful at losing the weight and dissappointing myself and my family

As you can see I am scared ( but also very excited ) about my 12/26/2012 VSG surgery date. Any support would be appreciated. I know just reading some of the other forums have been helpful but also a bit scary too.[/quote']

If you look at posts I made you can tell how's scared I was. I never had surgery before this. I was a nervous wreck and couldn't stop thinking about the negatives. I worried for nothing, you go in, they give you medicine through your IV to help relax, the next thing you know you wake up in recovery. When I woke up, I wasn't in pain, just sore. But they give you medicine for that too. There's a little adjustment period after surgery , but everyday gets easier. Nothing you can't handle. Remember that statistically, this surgery is as safe as having your gallbladder out. You will do great!

I am thankful I am not the only one with fears, its actually comforting to know I'm not alone. Thank you all for honesty and support. I am much more excited now and confident that I can do this.

My fear is a leak too. The only other fears I have is gaining it back and that we don't know the health outcomes of this type of surgery many years down the road. I'm 21 now, but will I have health issues like deficiencies or any other horror stories from gastric bypass patients (even though vsg is different) when I'm 40?