Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Scaring the crap out of me!

Ever since surgery I've been getting dizzy and lightheaded. Well I wasn't taking my Vitamins and so I started got on the roll with that my Protein been excellent...well this morning took a shower...and my husband was also in the bathroom..I shut the Water off moved the curtain, then I got nauseated and started dry heveing, then started getting dizzy an then I completely got so dizzy and lightheaded that I blacked out and started swaying my husband was parently yelling at me to sit down I didn't hear him! It's scarin the **** out of me... Have any of you expeiranced this and what was causin it! I'm gonna get into a dr!

I was lightheaded often for the first three months after surgery, but never to the extent of passing out - that's scary! It may be because of the vitamins...the only way to tell is to go to the dr. Good luck!

A few things - are you on ANY meds?? If so, you need to make sure they are still needed - blood pressure meds/low blood pressure can do this to you. Also, make sure you eat around taking Vitamins - mine make me sick even at 16 months out if I don't. How many calories are you getting in? Are you getting your fluids?

I'm on my vitamins... Plus Vitamin D and a medication for my gallbladder my surgeon prescribed me with...

Was the bathroom door closed? Was the Water fairly hot? If there is an oxygen deficit in the room or in just the shower area due to the steam, then it may have been that you just need to leave a crack in the curtain. You may be more sensitive to some things than you were before.

Just a guess.

Thanks, i have a dr appt tomorrow at 1pm, everything I did today was the same as any other day.... It was really scary! :(

I am a paramedic and a couple things come to mind. It could be related to blood sugar so your dr will probably want to check that. it could be dehydration related so make sure you are getting your proper amounts of fluids in. This act of passing out was very possible cause by stimulation to vagus nerve caused by the dry heaving, this is a common cause of syncope(fainting). Hope this information is helpful and good luck.

I am a paramedic and a couple things come to mind. It could be related to blood sugar so your dr will probably want to check that. it could be dehydration related so make sure you are getting your proper amounts of fluids in. This act of passing out was very possible cause by stimulation to vagus nerve caused by the dry heaving' date=' this is a common cause of syncope(fainting). Hope this information is helpful and good luck.[/quote']

What is the vagus nerve? How is it caused by dry heaving?

Also forgot to tell ya'll my husband said my face got completely white as a ghost!

The Vagus nerve is one of 12 cranial nerves that control body functions. The Vagus nerve tells the brain if there is injury to organs and causes a response of dilating the blood vessels, dropping blood pressure and lowering heart rate. It travels right along the stomach and a common maneuver used to manually stimulate the nerve is to have a patient bear down like they are going to have a bowel movement this causes the stomach and throat to stimulate the nerve, when you have dry heaves it can easily cause the same effect. The fact that you became flushed in the face when this happened also indicates vagal stimulation. here is a WIKI link for the vagus nerve http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vagus_nerve If it was vagal stimulation the passing out is not as important as what caused the dry heaves in the first place, since passing out is a natural result of vagal stimulation. Anytime you are dry heaving you should try to stay as calm and keep the heaves as slow as possible to avoid this, but I know that can be difficult at the time. Good Luck.

you are most likely dehydrated. this has happened to me before!

Same here. Got dehydrated, and fainted. I ended up in the ER with a nasty gash on the back of my head.

Get those liquids in!

Well I went to the doctor...so far I'm fighting a UTI, and they did blood work and checking everything to see why i keep getting dizzy but the uti had some part in it, i just had a Uti week before surgery! But then they will be checking my gallbladder and appendix. And well go from there!