Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How soon did everyone start excercising after

How soon did you start working out after having lapband surgery?  

1 member has voted

1. 1. How soon did you start working out after having lapband surgery?

• 1 to 2 weeks
    • 3 to 4 weeks
    • 5 to 6 weeks
    • 7 to 8 weeks
    • 9 to 10 weeks
    • 10 weeks or more

I am too used to going to the gym. I never even asked when I could start exercising. I started back the 2nd week after being banded. I wasn't at the

intensity that I was used to , but I couldn't just stay home on the couch.

Laurel,

Like Josie, I love spinning. I take it at the local YMCA here in Houston, check your local Y's as well. Also, like Josie suggested, the padded bike shorts really help and you can also get a gel seat cover (Schwinn) - they are less than $20 at the local sporting goods store.

Josie,

You are such an inspiration!

Nina

I'm new here and I'm loving reading everyone's experiences! I'm a retired RN....so I KNOW everyone's experiences are unique and not much in the medical world can be generalized!

BUT I'm being banded next week and I'm currently exercising 5Xweek with weights and cardio and I'm so excited to see that others immediately got back to some sort of exercise quickly!

AND.....by looking at everyone's weight goals and weight loss.....those that are exercising have really lost well!!!! Congratulations!!!!!

:help: i just got the lap band on Sat. june 16, when can i start walking for long periods of time? -Aly

Hi Gutierrezea!

I don't know what you consider long periods but the day after my surgery I did 30 minutes (slow pace) then everyday I added more time, considering the comfort level. The walking surely helps with the gas. To answer your question, go for as long as you feel comfortable.

Welcome to bandland & good luck!

Nina

I started walking 1 week after surgery and then tried to biuld up my pace. I found the walking really helped those gas pains you get in your shoulder. I have had slow weight loss but do think I continue to lose inches because of the exercise. I am also trying to have a "healthier lifestyle" and I think some type of exercise definately plays a role in that!

I started working out about 2 weeks after my procedure...Basically once I stopped being sore. I go to the gym 6x a week at my apt complex for just 30 minutes a day. Although its only 30 minutes, it makes a difference and I know without my excercising I wouldnt be as successful with losing weight the way I am. I have never been so consistent with going to the gym everyday, and it makes me feel great. Working out has become so habitual to me that I wouldnt feel right if I didnt go to the gym one day...

I started working out about 2 weeks after my procedure...Basically once I stopped being sore. I go to the gym 6x a week at my apt complex for just 30 minutes a day. Although its only 30 minutes, it makes a difference and I know without my excercising I wouldnt be as successful with losing weight the way I am. I have never been so consistent with going to the gym everyday, and it makes me feel great. Working out has become so habitual to me that I wouldnt feel right if I didnt go to the gym one day...

It shows in your numbers, I was banded two days after you and you have twice as much weight as I have. I started working out again yesterday and today so hopefully i'll catch up to you...Good job, keep up the great work!!:clap2:

I started walking 1 week after surgery and then tried to biuld up my pace. I found the walking really helped those gas pains you get in your shoulder. I have had slow weight loss but do think I continue to lose inches because of the exercise. I am also trying to have a "healthier lifestyle" and I think some type of exercise definately plays a role in that!

I walked around Mexico shopping the day after my surgery and NEVER suffered any gas pains, I really think that is why....

It shows in your numbers, I was banded two days after you and you have twice as much weight as I have. I started working out again yesterday and today so hopefully i'll catch up to you...Good job, keep up the great work!!:clap2:

Thanks and you keep up with the working out...It pays off!!! :rolleyes:

Thanks and you keep up with the working out...It pays off!!! :rolleyes:

That's what i'm counting on, I am also getting the body bugg (you can see more about that on the "Body Bugg Users Report here" thread.)

I had 1 more day to go before i could have the mushy food, and i just could not resist a baked potato Soup for lunch today. what sould i expect?

You should be okay-it's ONLY one day, I know how hard it is when your body just wants more!

I am so glad to hear you say that. Are you having any difficulty?

I get banded next month and have worked out since 1983--I am freaking out about how long I'll have to be away from it--I was hoping 4-6 weeks. Thanks...

I'm a little over one week since my surgery and I feel fantastic. I'm actually anxious to start working out. Surgeon says to concentrate on walking but hate walking - always have. I want to use some of my workout tapes, just going at an easy pace. What do you guys think? Couldn't I do a little salsa workout if I steer clear of the abs?