Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How soon did everyone start excercising after

How soon did you start working out after having lapband surgery?  

1 member has voted

1. 1. How soon did you start working out after having lapband surgery?

• 1 to 2 weeks
    • 3 to 4 weeks
    • 5 to 6 weeks
    • 7 to 8 weeks
    • 9 to 10 weeks
    • 10 weeks or more

wow so many of you started excercising so early? I was told by my doc not to excercise at least 5 weeks.But I dont count long walk as an excercise for myself, cause I was pretty active before surgerey.

I did my first 1/2 hour treadmill today. I went a bit under my target heartrate. It felt great. I've been told definitely NO weight lifting or crunches for 3 months. Would love to start getting my core in shape, but not yet.... I'll keep up the treadmill to be sure I get something in most every day.

I kicked off my workout the day I returned home from Mexico (Dr. Rumbaut). No light strolls either. We're talking biking 6.5 miles - up to 31.5 in less than 2 months time..on a daily basis. Jogging/running within 3 weeks of surgery.

The rest is history.

I started walking within 24hours of surgery...I found it was the best thing to ward of those darn gas shoulder pains...and it meant i could get some deep breaths to practice my breathing...needless to say i didnt go far but it helped.

I used to exercise pretty heavily and I am 12 days out and can barely get through my day, let alone go to the gym. I so hope this passes. I didn't take any time off of work and I think that I should have. I am so tired.

rms: Get your self a little more time. It took me almost a month to feel well enough to begin exercise again. This is also when my doctor said to start walking again. Your body has gone through a lot of changes and is using a lot few calories. It needs time to adjust. Just remember that in the long run your body is going to thank you for all the weight you're going to lose and you'll be feeling better before you know it! Good luck!

Thanks Karey!

I didn't expect to feel this way at all. I thought, a little band is being insterted, no big deal! Yeah, big deal. At least my body is telling me its a big deal. I want to have my energy back!

Ive noticed a few people say they were told not to weight lift for 3 months, does this include small handweights for bicep and tricep curls?? :omg:

Seems to me the point is to not use your stomach muscles yet, so if you do hand weights with enough strain to do any good, hand weights would be included. Just my opinion.

Studies have been clear for a long time, the more one is up and around (walking) after surgery the less pain meds they will need and the faster they will feel themselves again.

In the 1800s when a woman had a baby she was flat in bed for weeks recovering. That really was poor thinking. It increases the chance for blood clots and other various complications. The sooner one is up moving a lot, the better.

Start walking an hour after surgery and don't stop!!!! One does not need to run marathons after surgery. But walking a LOT after surgery prevents that horrible tired feeling two weeks down the road.

I have a big skiing trip planned for 33 days after banding. It's been 12 days now and I stil can feel my port when I bend over or run up stairs. Getting nervous.

When people they started excercising at day 10, how intense are we talking about here?

I had no problems going for long walks the day after, and I pratically stood around the day off, I hate lying down.

Lappy, sking uses a lot of core muscles including your stomach. I would ask your doctor. You're young and doing well, but I would still ask. I know I couldn't have done it, but you are you. Good luck!

I got on the treadmill the same day I came from the hospital and haven't stop!!!

Be blessed!