Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Day 4 Post Op - first case of "dumping"

Last night I took some liquid tylenol (regular adult) since my doc said it would prob. be OK. Also, switched to Lactaid to see if it helped my stomach process the rpotein shakes better. I have had A LOT of gas that I couldn't seem to get rid of. Well, I drank half a shake and took the 2 tbsp. of med and about an hour later I had explosive diarhea. My stomach made a lot of loud growling noises for several hours, but never really hurt. In fact, I found a lot of relief from this experience (first BM since op). So, I'm stuck now wondering if it was the med or the Lactaid milk. Has anyone else had any experience with Tylenol or Lactaid? I had half a shake this morning and no Tylenol, but some diarhea. Confused (but a little relieved).

Sleevers really don't experience dumping. It sounds to me like you just hadn't gone in a while, and your body finally let go. Just a thought though, that you may want to watch out for, for some reason a lot of us do come out of surgery with a new found lactose intolerance.

Sent from my iPad using VST

Actually some sleevers do dump... that said... ur fresh post op n on all liquids... liquids in, liquids out... i & many others had diarrhea for the first couple wks... and/or it could very well b a lactose intolerance uve developed... its supposedly fairly common... sooo glad i didnt get that one! Dont stress, just dont go too far from the bathroom ...

Good luck!

i had this problem during my hospital stay too. for my case its the milk... i am sensitive / allergy to it. and i told my doctor abt it. and i stop taking.

I had that issue my first 2 weeks out. Just because I was liquid in and liquid out as the others said. I started soft foods last night and today and "things" :rolleyes: have been more normal. Plus alot of sugar-free stuff can cause that too. It does for me I know. ;)

We really don't experience dumping in the way that one would think, as a gastric bypass patient does. Dumping syndrome is avoided or minimized because the pylorus is preserved. Yes, we may experience the sweats and diarrhea, but it is not anything like what a gastric bypass patient would experience.

Sent from my iPad using VST

I am a sleeved 6 weeks out and this week had a dumping experience foaming and then dry heave then expelled white stuff, my friend who had bypass over one year out had same experience I think you are incorrect. Call it what u want sleevers can experience a dumping episode if the stomach does not like what we give it

Thats actually usually called foamies ... dumping is usually the other end n caused by too much carbs n the small bowel doesnt know what to do with them... the pyloric valve (and stuff staying in our stomach longer than rny) is y we r @ less risk for dumping, but never the less...some of our tiny tummies empty quicker than our old big stomach... which is y sone sleevers do get dumping (although usually more mild)... i havent had any issue... but my husband dumped for a while if he had carb but has adjusted n no longer has issues...

I'm day 6 post and am having the LILO experience. Liquid in liquid out. Hoping it slows down as the Dir move to more solids. I don't trust my judgement to desire what is gas and what is LO !!!

Be careful!! That will dehydrate u FAST. I had that. First 2 days out of hospital I had diahrrea 10-15 a day for 2 days. I went to hospital and got iv fluids and Felt like new. The diahrrea stopped but obviously I couldn't " push" fluids cause o could only take in so much. I ended io there again for iv fluids. So just watch it. My doc said I had a stomach virus so I had to get over that! Not fair! The nurses said diahrrea was norm cause I was only drinking liquids. Just listen to your body and pay attn to How much u are peeing. Dehydration is what u do not want. Good luck!!!

Thanks for your information and thoughts. I'm only going twice or three times a day but mostly liquid. I'm urinating about the same maybe a little more. I haven't felt like taking in too much since everything in seems to increase the frequency of what comes out. I have to do a better job with liquids and Proteins

Back to the original OP's question. Yes it can be the milk, I drank lactaid all the time before surgery but after I could not. I am at 14 weeks and considering trying it again. I would leave off the milk, I don't believe that tylenol would do that to you.