Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I am a lazy eater: an emotional food disorder post

There have been several posts recently about emotional eaters so I thought I'd post a different spin. I am a lazy eater. And when I'm stressed I DON'T eat. It's like I am punishing myself; yes, it's a kickback from being sent to bed w/o dinner for some perceived behavior as a child from my abusive parents. So food has never been a comfort for me, but a necessity. In a twist, I still abused eating as an adult because I'd grab what was handy and easy, which usually translated to junk food. I didn't feel like I deserved good food. And...let's face it, it's easier & faster to slurp down a bowl of mac n' cheese than bother with a steak & broccoli.

I was sleeved 8/21 and have been doing remarkably well. Except this week. I just noticed this morning that I am slipping back into my old habits. I'm relying on readymade Protein Drinks and Atkins bars. Sure, I'm under my calorie intake and getting Protein, but it sure isn't healthy!

Pre-sleeve I don't think I would have caught myself slipping back to my unhealthy habits. I noticed it because I faithfully log into MFP and review my food. I have discovered that I must have easy foods like cooked shrimp at my fingertips or I just won't bother to eat. And my metabolism is so screwed up that my body holds on to everything it can when I don't eat. And I don't lose weight.

So food addictions/issues has many, many faces and I'm glad here on VST we can share & help each other.

I am pre-sleeve, but I am also a "convenience" eater. I don't really cook and only prepare really easy things. I go through the drive thru a lot--even when dieting. I will get a mcchicken with no mayo or an oatmeal or subway, Taco Bell fresco items, etc. I also do a lot of healthy choice types of meals. This really worries me. I don't ever see myself wanting to spend a lot of time or energy preparing food. My husband is a great cook and is 100% supportive of me and I know he will make wonderful Soups for me in the liquid stages. He will also cook a lot of lean meats and veggies. He travels a lot though, and he's not always around to be my personal chef. ;-)

Like the OP was saying, I'd like to eat healthy and not just low calorie. I can totally see myself living on Protein Shakes and bars. Anyone else? Any suggestions for easy things that will meet Protein requirements?

I can relate somewhat. I have been grabbing cooked rotisserie chickens from the grocery instead of cooking them myself. The ones that you get already cooked have the skin on and probably have more fat in the meat since it soaks in from the skin. I have been weaning off of the Protein drinks, but I'll still just grab a Muscle Milk light from the fridge instead of cooking an egg or oatmeal. For lunch I'll just eat Greek Yogurt instead of preparing something. Sometimes supper is a random pot luck from the refrigerator that yields quick combinations like cheese, pickles, nuts and some Goldfish crackers.

I had never thought about it before as being lazy, but I suppose that is pretty accurate. Any level of success I ever had with a diet involved as little effort to prepare food as possible. Like Slimfast. The only exception to that was when I did Body for Life, but I would prepare a lot of food at once and eat it for the week.

For me, i've learned to stock my frig full of easy foods and when I do cook, I make plenty for leftovers. I try to cook salmon a few times a week and have that handy. And I buy shrimp trays from costco, now that my sleeve can handle shrimp. I've tried to make up tuna salad and have that handy, but i don't seem to enjoy it postop. I do need more ideas for easy foods. Getting tired of shrimp & salmon. ;-)

That's exactly what I mean, Delta_girl! It takes a lot of effort to eat well. And i have a hard time getting motivated!

oh my this is exactly what i needed to see, i got a morning dose of reality on this one. I am too a lazy eater. I decided to as of yesturday that i was tired of logging food everyday and working out 4-5xs a week and said i was going to give my body and mind a break from loosing weight for 2 weeks. Is this a good choice probably not and is it lazy hell to the yes. But i feel like sometimes i get so wrapped that i all i do is plan my meals and stress about the weight. I grab easy foods all the time . Morning yogurt or coffee and Protein, lunch i get grilled chicken or a taco and just eat the inside and dinner well those meals i do have to cook. I know i wanted this surgery and am forever grateful and love seeing that scale go down. So even with all that said I am doing the 2 weeks break will I eat junk no but i will not log what i eat or plan, my sleeve will let me know i have had enough and i will still make the better choice in foods so wish this lazy eater luck the next 2 weeks .

oh my this is exactly what i needed to see' date=' i got a morning dose of reality on this one. I am too a lazy eater. I decided to as of yesturday that i was tired of logging food everyday and working out 4-5xs a week and said i was going to give my body and mind a break from loosing weight for 2 weeks. Is this a good choice probably not and is it lazy hell to the yes. But i feel like sometimes i get so wrapped that i all i do is plan my meals and stress about the weight. I grab easy foods all the time . Morning yogurt or coffee and Protein, lunch i get grilled chicken or a taco and just eat the inside and dinner well those meals i do have to cook. I know i wanted this surgery and am forever grateful and love seeing that scale go down. So even with all that said I am doing the 2 weeks break will I eat junk no but i will not log what i eat or plan, my sleeve will let me know i have had enough and i will still make the better choice in foods so wish this lazy eater luck the next 2 weeks .[/quote']

Yep, sometimes we just all need a break. I doubt that you'll get into much trouble during your two week break- and it could actually help motivate you again. Let us know how it goes!

finally i found a post by "normal" human... seeing this forum about how healthy others are, makes me feel guilty...

so happy i am not alone...

i am also a lazy eater... i eat junk food because they are easy to make or get.

and some junk food being slider... i can eat more and feels more satify...

i can also just take Protein Drink and Water all day because i lazy to make proper food...