Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Port Incision Not Closing Up

I was banded on 10/06. All the incisions are healing fine, with the exception of the port one. It continues to leak, which the Dr. says is OK. It doesn't seem to be infected, but it is a fairly large opening at this point. I'm worried about it healing properly, like without leaving a pock or something. Anyone else had this sort of problem? The area is getting very sensitive to adhesives, too. I'm keeping it covered and clean all the time.:straight

Did you have your lapband done laproscopically or an open surgery? I am guessing lap...I suppose, if the doctor says it's ok and it doesn't appear infected. However, because it is a fairly large opening I would keep a close eye and maintain as sterile environment as you can (regarding the incision). This would worry me a bit as well. Does it apear to be getting better?

Shawn

one week post op my port incision opened up and bled and then leaked for several days, I finally called the dr back and his nurse told me to come in, she said it was internal bruising and the old blood had to get out, she cleaned it, closed it with butterfly bandages and it healed nicely after that, i just had to be more careful for a few days, it happened when I was debating on who to tell that I had gotten the band, it did almost give me away but I had no other problems.

I had problems with my incision leaking Fluid and the incision was red around the edges. I called the doctor's office and they agreed that I should come in just in case. There was no infection, but he did re-open the wound to let it drain, and then closed it back up. Since then it has been much better. I would call the doctor's office and ask to come in and have it looked at. You don't want to get an infection and have your port become infected. If you were banded on the 6th, I don't think the incision should still be open. Also, there are some viruses you can catch, such as MRS, that will prevent a wound from healing. This virus can easily be caught in a hospital as it's airborne. My friend got it when she had a c-section, and my mom got it from a surgery as well. I'm of the better safe than sorry mentality, so I would go back in and have it checked.

Thanks for all the good advice. I am watching it very carefully but haven't decided to go in to the Dr. yet. I did get some butterfly bandages today and will try them. It seems a bit better today. I am also keeping it covered with gauze and have switched to paper tape for the problem with tape rash.