Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I was sleeved on Nov 27th- I had one week of liquids/shakes and then on day 8 I started with pureed diet- I have 2 tbsp of egg beaters with a tinybit of cheese-then blend it up real small in my blender. i can even have meat (chidken and tuna so far) if I puree it good in the blender. Have been eating baby food fruite and veggies too. I'm actually scared I'm eating too much because it's all going down just fine- I'm surprised really. So I'm gonna slow it down alittle after hearing most people don't start pureed so soon- why are all docs so different? I don't want to cause a leak or something in my new tummy. Now I'm afraid I've done too much!! Ughhh

How much time is eveeryone taking off from work?

I was on a liquid diet for 10 days before surgery. Clear liquids for 1 week after, then went to full liquids for 1 week, then pureed foods for 1 week then soft foods for 1 week then regular food. It is hard, but so worth it!

Yes, it's super frustrating to see others on plans that progress towards food so much faster, especially if you're really struggling with your post-op diet. My feeling is that some surgeons are just a lot more cautious and less tolerant of the possibility of complications. Those first few weeks are the highest risk times for developing a leak, etc. Most of us don't but the more gentle you are on the healing stomach, the lower the risk, and digesting stuff is HARD WORK. I used to imagine my stomach in there, rockin' and rollin' after I'd given it a little bit of something to work on, even though I'd just had 80% of it cut off and sewn it back together, and felt a little sorry for it. And if you try something pureed and it doesn't go down well, think how hard vomiting is on your stomach!

If you're really struggling, I'd give your surgeon's office a call and talk to them. They may be open to considering letting your add something to your diet. Meanwhile make sure what you are consuming is as high in Protein as possible, that will give you the best chance of feeling less hungry.

Yes, it's super frustrating to see others on plans that progress towards food so much faster, especially if you're really struggling with your post-op diet. My feeling is that some surgeons are just a lot more cautious and less tolerant of the possibility of complications. Those first few weeks are the highest risk times for developing a leak, etc. Most of us don't but the more gentle you are on the healing stomach, the lower the risk, and digesting stuff is HARD WORK. I used to imagine my stomach in there, rockin' and rollin' after I'd given it a little bit of something to work on, even though I'd just had 80% of it cut off and sewn it back together, and felt a little sorry for it. And if you try something pureed and it doesn't go down well, think how hard vomiting is on your stomach!

If you're really struggling, I'd give your surgeon's office a call and talk to them. They may be open to considering letting your add something to your diet. Meanwhile make sure what you are consuming is as high in Protein as possible, that will give you the best chance of feeling less hungry.

I know that it is probably better for my stomach in the long run. It is just so hard right now. The surgeon's office said that I can add sugar free ice pops. That really isn't a help to me. I've never liked ice pops. I am drinking 3 Pure Protein shakes a day. Each shake has 23 grams of Protein. So, between those 3 shakes & all my Water, I think that I am doing the best I can. I meet with the nutritionist this Friday to go over my transition to mushy or pureed foods. It just feels like forever. I keep trying to tell myself that this part is almost over and just a blip in the rest of my life.

I know everyone here is at different stages in their journey. So' date=' I am hoping that you have or are dealing with this & might have some good advice. I had my sleeve done 10 days ago. I had to do 7 days of clear liquids. I am now on day 3 of Protein shakes & clear liquids. So, I am at 300 calories a day. I drink Pure Protein so I am getting in 23 grams of protein per shake. I am feeling totally exhausted & very spaced out. I am getting in plenty of Water. I just feel like I need real food. I can't even tell you what I would do for just a bite of cottage cheese! Tonight my boyfriend made toast for himself & it smelled like the most amazing thing in the world. I almost lost it. I just want to lick a piece of cheese right now. Not eat it. Just taste it. I guess since the nutritionist hasn't set a specific amount of time for transitioning to pureed I am feeling desperate. Am I the only one? How do we get through this?[/quote']

Sweetie I know how you feel. I was on liquids for 3 weeks before surgery and three weeks after:( I felt like I was going to go crazy for sure. Everyday when my husband would eat his dinner I would get so frustrated and on some days I just couldn't stop from crying. My depression got the best of me and I thought this is how my life was going to be now......wishing for something I couldn't have anymore. But that all changed the day I got put on soft foods. When the nutritionist told me how well I was doing and how much weight I had lost. My BMI went from a 45 to a 42.2 in three weeks. I just couldn't believe how my mood went from so low to feeling normal again. I'm having a hard time with soft foods but ill tell you what......I still have a smile on my face. I see the light at the end of the tunnel and there is nothing that can stop me from fighting to get to it. You will get there too.....just keep telling yourself how much better life can be when you are healthy. Put notes to yourself in the kitchen for encouragement. This constant struggle will soon be over and you will start seeing a new you.

Sweetie I know how you feel. I was on liquids for 3 weeks before surgery and three weeks after:( I felt like I was going to go crazy for sure. Everyday when my husband would eat his dinner I would get so frustrated and on some days I just couldn't stop from crying. My depression got the best of me and I thought this is how my life was going to be now......wishing for something I couldn't have anymore. But that all changed the day I got put on soft foods. When the nutritionist told me how well I was doing and how much weight I had lost. My BMI went from a 45 to a 42.2 in three weeks. I just couldn't believe how my mood went from so low to feeling normal again. I'm having a hard time with soft foods but ill tell you what......I still have a smile on my face. I see the light at the end of the tunnel and there is nothing that can stop me from fighting to get to it. You will get there too.....just keep telling yourself how much better life can be when you are healthy. Put notes to yourself in the kitchen for encouragement. This constant struggle will soon be over and you will start seeing a new you.

Sunshine, Thank you. You are the only person so far who's diet has been as restricted as mine. I too have done some crying. My boyfriend has now started eating out or in a part of the apartment where I can't see him. This has helped a little. I am just struggling with the fact that I thought that I wouldn't be hungry, but I really am. I get to start soft foods in one more week so, I am on a count down. I actually look forward to struggling with food of any kind. (Someone is probably going to have to remind me that I said that at one point. lol. Thank you for your post, though.

What helps me is chewing something I like then spit it out don't swallow that works for me. The other day my husband made steak it smelled so good I took a bite chewed it then spit it out

Sunshine' date=' Thank you. You are the only person so far who's diet has been as restricted as mine. I too have done some crying. My boyfriend has now started eating out or in a part of the apartment where I can't see him. This has helped a little. I am just struggling with the fact that I thought that I wouldn't be hungry, but I really am. I get to start soft foods in one more week so, I am on a count down. I actually look forward to struggling with food of any kind. (Someone is probably going to have to remind me that I said that at one point. lol. Thank you for your post, though.[/quote']

I was really hungry too during the liquid stage. But now that I get to have a little food on my tummy I'm feeling much better. I have to set an alarm on my phone to help me remember that it is time to eat again. I'm not sure if it was emotional hunger or not when I was on liquids because it physically hurt.