Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

My Head Isn't Keeping Up

I've been lurking on the boards for months now and am finally posting. I'm 4 weeks post op and down 20lbs from my surgery weight and 32 lbs from my January high.

Here's my issue, I've lost 30 lbs a hundred times or more and every time gained it back. And while my brain knows I'm not going to gain this back, I can't bring myself to get rid of the too big clothes in my closet bc I'm scared I'm going to need them again! I mean I know I won't, but my head hasn't caught up with my brain.

I haven't been sleeved yet, I will be within the next month, and I swear this is going to be me! I have stashes of clothes that I am sure I will not want to get rid of.

I know how you feel, I have lost about 25 (ish) pounds on my own, but cant bring myself to get rid of them because I think I will gain it back, and lets face it, I just made a post about that 2 minutes ago, since I am!... I think I will a few months post op. Until then, I am stashing them in containers. What saving me right now is that I refuse to take any clothes back out of that damn box to wear.. I'm NOT going to do it!

What I think I might do is stash them for a while, and I've read that other people have sold them to their friends etc, and used the money to put towards other new/sexier/prettier clothes :)

My head refuses to wrap around the changes as well. When I go into a store I still look at the plus side of the store. Maybe by the time I get closer to goal it will catch up.lol

Total lost 57 pounds

It's a bit tough to let go of the bigger you. It takes time for your brain to catch up with the new you. I am now 9 months out and 90 lbs down and I head for the larger sizes and can't believe I'm a size 6, I've even walked into Lanebryant, I have image issues and still see the 240 lb me sometimes when I look in the mirror. From time to time I pull out the last skirt I bought at my biggest ( size 20) and put it on and then it hits me, and I have my happy glory moments! I'm so afraid to fail that I too was holding on to a lot of my clothes but finally parted with them. I am now the lightest I've ever been my entire adult life and I am learning to rejoice and enjoy the new me!

Find someone who NEEDS those clothes, and gift them away! Think of the good you'll be doing! I'm now on my third complete wardrobe (thank God for second-hand stores and clearance racks!!), and am taking more than 10 kitchen garbage bags of clothes (size 20 to 26, 1X to 5X) to two of my sisters. They will benefit tremendously from my loss! As for replacing clothes....seriously....find a good second-hand store (we have a place called "Savers" here...they're awesome!), and save as much money as you can, while you're dropping sizes so quickly. (On Veterans Day Savers had a half-off sale...I got 21 XL sweaters for $56, and 4pairs of 16 jeans for under $25. I completely swapped my wardrobe for under $75!!!)

Best,

Laura

Thrift shops could really use the big stuff. That's where I used to shop because the other stores were for shrimps. I was glad our college town had big wrestlers and football players who donated their stuff. Of course, everything was brown and orange and had BG Falcons on it.

Keep a set of your largest stuff for pictures. B)

Wow! The title of your thread describes me to a t. I am down 70 lbs so far and struggle to believe it. My husband loves to split meals with me and always has, I have never enjoyed it because I wanted to eat it all myself. At dinner this weekend he wanted to split a huge entree and I told him I was afraid I would not have enough to eat. He looked at me funny because he knows after I have a small portion I am stuffed. So, we shared the entree and still brought some home. It is hard to adjust! I agree with the other posters about getting the too big clothes out to help change how you feel about regaining. Good luck! Here's to getting our heads to come along with our bodies.

I just dropped 3 trash bags full of clothes off to Goodwill on Saturday. I've been obese my entire life, l'm two weeks post surgery down 15 lbs 55 lbs since June and I'm not going back, I hope.

My head refuses to wrap around the changes as well. When I go into a store I still look at the plus side of the store. Maybe by the time I get closer to goal it will catch up.lol

Total lost 57 pounds

Jennabelle, if that is you in your profile pic, you look FABULOUS! Dump those clothes.

It's a bit tough to let go of the bigger you. It takes time for your brain to catch up with the new you. I am now 9 months out and 90 lbs down and I head for the larger sizes and can't believe I'm a size 6, I've even walked into Lanebryant, I have image issues and still see the 240 lb me sometimes when I look in the mirror. From time to time I pull out the last skirt I bought at my biggest ( size 20) and put it on and then it hits me, and I have my happy glory moments! I'm so afraid to fail that I too was holding on to a lot of my clothes but finally parted with them. I am now the lightest I've ever been my entire adult life and I am learning to rejoice and enjoy the new me!

Dinora7, that is truly outstanding. A size 6! I wore a size 6X in first grade, does that count? ;)

Go ahead and hold onto them for a month and see how they fit then, you'll be very surprised!

Thanks everyone for your comments. It helped just to say it out loud. My husband said not to worry myself with it right now, so I think I'm going to do as suggested and wait a month or so. I'm not a hoarder or anything, so I'm hoping that by then I'll be a little more rational about this being REAL.

Jennabelle' date=' if that is you in your profile pic, you look FABULOUS! Dump those clothes.[/quote']

Thanks yes that was taken at the Xmas party this past weekend...I was very happy with how I looked...my head is slow to catch on. But it's coming around!