Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Two Years Since I Joined Vst

Hi all,

This morning I woke up and found a message from Alex (the founder of Vertical Sleeve Talk) in my inbox. It's been two years since I joined VST.

What a jolt it was to remember that two short years ago I had just barely learned that a vertical sleeve procedure cut away part of your stomach. I had heard of the procedure, but I thought it was called vertical sleeve because they but a sleeve over your stomach instead of just a band.

Getting that message reminded me of the fear and anxiety I had as I began to investigate having a procedure to help me get to a normal weight. I am 5'6" and weighed about 250 lbs. I was so uncomfortable, I worked out and had tried weight watchers online and in person, but I could not get the weight off. I was terrified I would die of a weight-related disease.

Reading others stories on this forum gave me faith to continue my journey. It took six months to get my operation scheduled, but I saw that was true for many others, so I just kept plugging along. I read stories of people who had complications, but recovered. That made be braver about the surgery- even those with complications pulled through and were doing well. I saw people who were at goal and happy - I wanted that!

When my surgery date came, I was more prepared for how I would feel right after surgery because of the stories I read here. As I struggled post-op to get my fluids and Protein in and to get enough strength to return to my normal tasks, tips I picked up here helped make that journey easier.

As I lost weight, the challenges made it more fun and easier to stick to getting to goal.

As i learned to deal with how others reacted to a new, skinnier me, it helped to know others had the same issues!

Now, two years later, I've been at goal more than six months. I am so happy and feel so much better! I am back to eating normal, small meals. They fill me up and I'm much less tempted to eat sweet treats and salty Snacks. I do have to work on it now. I could eat a bag of popcorn and a candy bar every day, but I choose not to! And I can stick to that choice and be happy with it!

On my two year anniversary, I want to thank Alex and all the users on this forum for providing support throughout my surgery and as I learn to live at goal weight.

This is my first Christmas at goal. I run around with tons of energy. I'm wearing knee-high boots and they are not the wide calf ones. I have a cute Christmas t-shirt in size small. I am enjoying the season while watching what I eat so I stay at goal, and I don't feel deprived and sad. Life is great on the goalies bench!

Lynda

Congratulations on your journey, and thanx for sharing your story. I also started at my highest weight of 249 lbs and am 5'5", so our stats are similar. My goal is 132 lbs, and we shall see if I get there. My surgeon thinks it's a low goal but I know where I am happiest. I am 3 1/2 months post op and am now at 193 lbs, slowly but surely I'll get there. Thanx again for the inspiration and best of luck in your 'slender' future, enjoy shopping!! :-)

Congrats!!! I'm just about 6 weeks post op! Love this site and the people on it:-)

I loved reading your post! It's so inspiring to see someone still motivated at 2 years post. You sound so at peace with yourself and I think everyone deserves to feel that way. Enjoy the holiday season in your cute Christmas t-shirt :)!!

Congrats, and thank you for being such a great member of our forums!

Sent from my iPad using VST