Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hey Everyone Pain Afer Surgery Question Here??

:)What I am hoping to get out of this thread is some people to share their experience with how their pain felt after surgery. I mean did it hurt to wipe your butt, or was it hard to tie your shoes because of the pain, could you shower, how different did you feel? I mean was setting up hard to do or were you afraid to pick up your child. Was it just sore or was it very painful did it feel as if something were ripping loose inside you. And like how different does it feel to eat now does it feel like food it stuck just below your throat or do you feel like ur belly is full?>? Any how for those of you who don't know me I'm Chris 23 years old from TN my surgery will be done by Dr. Fromm at Memorial Hostpital in Chattanooga, all I'm waiting on is an aproval from insurance and hopefuly will have that in 2 more weeks minimum, and I'm nervous and you guys are really helpful to ease my mind most of the time!

Hey Chris!

I just had my surgery last Wednesday. I had considerable (not unbearable) pain on Thursday and Friday after surgery. By Saturday, I was able to move as I wanted. Most of my pain seems to be around the port site...it's just under my bra line on my left side. It is still tender today, but not a bother. I had real difficulty sleeping on my left side and rolling over in general for a few nights, (moved to quickly one night and felt as if I had torn my liver from body) but all that has stopped. I went back to my normal life on Monday...attended a volleyball game and two footbll games this week...climbing bleachers, working the concession stand and the whole bit!

I think the worst pain was when I awoke from surgery. The golf ball in my chest felt like a heart attack, and I struggled to swallow. I have a tendancy to panic in those situations, so I probably made it harder on myself than I had to. Just relax and allow your body time for adjustment. I am sure you will do great and the two or three days of pain will be a faint memory. One week out and I am elated!

Good luck to you...keep us posted!

My pain was minimal. More uncomfortable, than painful. After about a week, I felt pretty much normal. I've had headaches that bothered me worse than the surgery.

Good luck...

huberslave - I just had my surgery done and would be glad to answer any questions you have. I know before I had mine done I had alot and alot of personal questions too. When I woke up from surgery I was more groggy than anything. I just wanted to go to sleep. No Pain at all. After drinking the barium solution to have xray to make sure no leakage then i hurt a little. more like discomfort, and let me tell you as soon as you say discomfort they load you up with percaset so then you just fall asleep anyway. All bathroom and showering duties I did on my own with no pain. Setting up not hard but getting up from a lying position was tough. I have more gas pain in my shoulders and chest from the co2 they pumped in me than from the band. I have been taking tylenol for 2 days now and I feel ok. I was out shopping the very next day. You have to get up and walk as much as possible. My dr. told me not to be picking up anything over 20 pounds until my 2 week visit. Can't tell you much about the food because i'm still on liquid diet for a little bit longer but i hope this helps. I have a really bad fear of needles and hospitals but it wasn't what i thought at all. It was very easy for someone like me. It took me 18 months to decide and now i wish i had done it earlier. GOOD LUCK and let us all know.

Tigger 33

banded 10/17/06

Dr. Abkin

St. Clares Hospial

The best way I can describe the "golf ball" is that it feels as though you are trying to swallow one...kind of a feeling of something being stuck in the middle of your chest. I have never had acid reflux, and know that some people on this site have likened it to a severe episode. It didn't last but a few hours, but the discomfort really bothered me.

I also read that you can get the same sensation from eating too fast or swallowing too large a bite of food.

I'm not a pro at this yet, so my descriptions may not be the greatest! Hope this explains me!

Thanks everyone the golf ball thing sounds scary but I think I can handle it pretty good anyone else please come and share your story!

My surgery was more painful than I expected. I had pain around the port site for about 2 weeks after the surgery. It was almost as bad as my C-sections. I was really glad I didn't have any solid food in my colon because it would have been really, really painful to wipe.

But the important point is, whatever pain you do have will pass, and the diet restrictions will ease up and you'll lose weight!

Huberslave.......I found the surgery a breeze compared to 2 c sections , 5 hernia repairs and a hysterectomy:faint: . I have terrible arthritis and I was able to go to the bathroom and get out of bed all by myself. I even had my hair and nails done a week later. I'm sure you will do just fine. You have youth on your side so just relax. I hope you get approved. I wish they had this when I was your age....

Banded Aug 7, 2006

Dr Fielding NYU Medical Center...NYC

Huberslave,

I had no pain other than a little discomfort around my port area. I didn't take any pain pills or any tylenol. Overall, it was pretty easy getting back to myself. I did take two weeks off from work. I was tired for about 2 weeks. My energy level came back within three weeks. I started working out during my 3rd week without a problem.

As far as restriction and fullness. Before my fill, I got a cramp in my stomach and I felt pressure if I ate too much for the band. Before my fill, I was able to eat everything just less. Now that I have a fill, bread and rice are a little tough for me. Fullness definetely feels differently now that I had the fill. I get pressure in my upper stomach and I sometimes feel like I have a lump in my throat. It does subside.

I am sooooo happy that I had the surgery. Overall, no problems to report. Thank God, everything is great so far.

Good luck to you.

Don't panic yourself worrying about the post-surgery recovery. You will do fine if you have reasonable expectations as to what to expect. You won't feel great for a few days, but within 3 or 4 days you will feel almost normal. Here's my story, so you can see how it ran through for me:

I was dizzy, nauseous and tired for about 5 days, and then just a bit tired for about 2 weeks. I had low blood pressure immediately after surgery. I had some pain around the port site, and minor discomfort where I guess the band itself is (golf ball?). The gas pains from the CO2 moving around felt like bad cramps in wierd places, and were probably the worst thing. I had a lot of swelling in my stomach, about 8lbs worth, which took about 4 or 5 days to go down. Standing or lying inclined was the most comfortable positions for the first few days, progressing to (almost) comfortable sitting and flat lying by about 1 week out. I couldn't bend to tie shoes for about 10 days, and needed help to get my surgical stockings on and off for the first few days. All other personal care I could do myself. Walking helped with the gas pains, so started a daily walk in hospital on the day of surgery (just slow & short, built up to normal now). The incisions were itchy on and off as they healed. All up, the recovery took a little longer than I was expecting (2 weeks as opposed to 1 week that I thought it would be). I went back to work after 10 days, and was tired, but otherwise fine (1 1/4 hour each way commute, desk job).

I am just over 3 weeks out now and feel great, just a little sore around my port area if I press on it hard, or overstretch. I already feel better for the weight I've lost so far, and feel much more enegetic than I did before surgery. All up, none of it was unbearable, the recovery was more inconvenient than anything. I have no regrets, and would do it again in a heartbeat.

Good luck!

I am also awaiting the ok from the insurance company to be banded on the 27th of Nov. I am really wondering about the pain-- and when I'll be able to return to work. I have a pretty high pain tolerance -- I've had 2 c-sections, so I figure it can't be worst than that.... but some of these postings are scaring me a little bit...

By the way...is everyone on here having the same surgery? Then pain may be different if it's not preformed laparoscopically.....

Just wondering.