Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Attention February 2013 Sleeve Buddies!

Hi' date=' Ladyluna, what tests are you having done? It probably depends on what you do for work and if someone can drive you. I had an endoscopy (upper GI) a few months ago and it was absolutely no big deal. In fact, it was almost fun. Let me tell you first, I am a total scaredy cat about medical procedures. I've never had surgery, never broken a bone, and never been in the hospital for anything. I was terrified of the endoscopy and the idea of something being put down my throat. Hello? That sounds horrendous, right? I don't remember a thing. They gave me an IV, talked to me for a minute, sprayed my throat, and I was out. Next thing I knew I was waking up and felt great. I did apparently talk while anesthetized, since it's a twilight sleep. I was actually have the test because I was feeling sick a lot, but I apparently talked about the fact that I also wanted to have surgery, because when I came to, several techs were smiling at me and congratulating me on my upcoming surgery with a slight giggle. It wasn't mean at all, but it really made me wonder what on earth I said. My throat felt the very slightest bit rough later, like maybe if you'd had a coughing fit. They did say not to drive for 24 hours because of the anesthesia, but that's it. I'm a highly anxious person, but I wouldn't spend a minute worrying if I knew I had to get one of those again. I know that I have to get an EKG next week at my pre-op testing, but that's no biggie. That's just laying still for a minute with Patches on you. Probably bloodwork too.

It might be kind of tiring to have to do all of that stuff all at once, but maybe if you could take a nap between that and work, you'll feel fine, and you'll probably feel fine anyway, depending on what all you have to get. With that said, I'm not a doctor! If they say you can't go to work that night, listen to the experts![/quote']

Thank you for the reply! I'm a teacher and usually just take the subway to work. It's only for a couple of hours so I might be ok. I'm not sure what tests they are but I think maybe all of them since they never said anything else about more tests after this.

I might just give my work a heads up that I might make it but will ask my doctor tomorrow.

I teach kids and they can be tiring so just wanted to make sure that it could be possible.

This is my first ever big surgery too so that's also why it makes me nervous. Haha!

Yeah, you'll probably be fine. Just to be safe, though, could you call them tomorrow and ask what tests they'll be doing? That should give you a better idea. :)

Hey! Im Randi from atl. Ga... Im scheduled for feb. 25 and it cant get here soon enough! Im 30. Since having kids I've had trouble with my weight. My bmi is 31 but im considered obese :( so fellow friends lets take control of our lives and get back to living!!

I went to my last set of classes before surgery. I thought I was going to be on a full liquid diet after the first couple of weeks for 3 weeks coming to a total of 5 weeks...yeah no...I'm going to be on full liquids from week 3 to week 8. My nut said the tendency is to have leaks at the upper portion of the staple line and since they switched to this slower re-introduction of solid foods, they've not had any leaks in their patients.

My biggest, non-complication concern at this point is controlling the diarrhea or Constipation while trying to work. I'm really hoping this will fix my hunger issues to at least get me through 2 months of liquid....no wonder people lose their hair. With the 2 month liquid diet, I really going to have to come up with something else to revolve around other than food! Oh this going to be so hard.

When I met the surgeon today he told me that since i'm bottom heavy it's going to be even easier to do this laproscopically......................thanks...................I was 300lbs at weigh in today, he thinks this will get me down to 200, obviously my hope is that I can push for more but it did sort of get me thinking that 150-160 would be my goal, but realistically I've never been under 220lbs in my adult life so anything below that is just gravy.

"When I met the surgeon today he told me that since i'm bottom heavy it's going to be even easier to do this laproscopically......................thanks..."

This made me chuckle Juny! I'm bottom heavy too ;)

Wow...8 weeks of liquids?? I feel for ya..I'm doing pre-op diet right now (2 shakes and 1 low cal meal) and my tummy is already protesting. I hope that time flies by for ya!

Yeah it's right up there with the cardiologist who said I wasn't going to last long w/ the stress test because of my short legs.

Oh no girl! I got those too! LMBO! We are just too easy to pick on, it seems :lol:

Hi....fingers crossed' date=' I will be sleeved on Feb 28 in NC.[/quote']

Fingers crossed here too. I have my last appointment with the nutritionist on Monday. Then its waiting game withthe insurance.

Hi everyone

My name is Rosa and (26) married no kids and just got my approval letter :) !!!!! My date will be for sure In February. I been obese since I turned 18 it seems so tired of it so glad I am almost their. Oh and I live in sherwood arkansas

? How many days will you be taking off? Is it FMLA covered?

Hi, I'm Terry. I'm 5 feet tall with a starting weight of 260. Starting pre-op diet on Monday - will be sleeved on Feb. 11th.

? How many days will you be taking off? Is it FMLA covered?

My fmla cover me for 2 weeks 2/27 - 3/18

Hey New Jersey----My date is Feb 11 at Pennsylvania Hospital. I am nervous.have been on a diet for about 45 years. I think that is enough!