Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Unprofessional Or Within Professional Guidelines

Instead of going to MX for WLS I've decided to go through Veterans Affairs. In order to get a referral I have to attend 12-15 MOVE Group classes.

During the intro class that don't count the dietician went over options available after the completion of class. She went on and on about Orlistat. Than she ask did anyone want to know about Bariatric surgery. Everybody objected stating "No way, too extreme", and "that is dangerous, so many complications". I said I do. She than said well Im not going to take too much time talking about it.

Here comes the blurred line. She talked about all the complications that happen in the PAST before they learned more about the procedure etc. Than told us how she talked a few of her patients OUT of getting WLS. That if your following the MOVE program losing weight why get WLS. Her tone was negative. She said more but you get the idea.

To me she wasn't giving her professional opinion but a personal anti-WLS. She even described it as a luxury and it didn't have to be provided and how lucky we were to have the option.

Listen to the others in the group is my first encounter with negativity associated with WLS. I didn't care about their opinions but I was shocked and disturbed that someone in the medical field would disapprove so adamantly. Am I over reacting or did a bias actually happen?

I think it is unprofessional on her part. You have a right to unbiased information. She should be providing facts, both to the benefits and risks of WLS. That said before you are completely discouraged, I recommend that you attend a WLS orientation put on by one of your insurance's WL surgeons. They are usually open to the public and free. There they will offer a Q&A session where you can get your general questions answered and discuss the benefits and risks. While a dietician has a degree, they are not doctors.

Thanks for the confirmation. It was driving me mad thinking about it.

In the information folder given there was a sheet on when their monthly education sessions on Bariatric surgery options. It's by appointments only. She supposedly wrote my name down but now Im going to call for confirmation. What a shame when you can't trust the person you need to because of their own bias.

The MOVE program is a joke anyway. It's not that I wasn't aware of how to eat I didn't have the motivation or will power to not eat all the bad stuff if it were as easy as eating certain things or not eating others I wouldn't have to go to the damn classes in the first place. Mind u they had me go to these classes after I already had been on a supervised diet and working with a dietician and classes on active duty not even a year prior. I would totally be going in there with the mindset that its what u have to do to get to ur goal and pick up a couple pointers but otherwise I would not be taking those people too serious in my experience they aren't invested in individual progress and results.

The MOVE program is a joke anyway. It's not that I wasn't aware of how to eat I didn't have the motivation or will power to not eat all the bad stuff if it were as easy as eating certain things or not eating others I wouldn't have to go to the damn classes in the first place. Mind u they had me go to these classes after I already had been on a supervised diet and working with a dietician and classes on active duty not even a year prior. I would totally be going in there with the mindset that its what u have to do to get to ur goal and pick up a couple pointers but otherwise I would not be taking those people too serious in my experience they aren't invested in individual progress and results.

The only reason Im going to these classes is because its required to get a referral for Bariatric surgery. At that Intro class was the first time I encounter the stigma associated with WLS. After reading so many posts on this forum about I shouldn't be surprise. Even my PCP there seemed against it. He said no, no, no do MOVE, it works. When I just starred at him he then said I have to lose 10 % of my weight first. When actually it's 5%.

To avoid encountering more bad attitudes toward WLS Im going to switch to TeleMOVE which is 82 days. Hopefully after I complete the program my pcp will do the referral. I'm just worried that he won't do it. I never thought a doctor would be against WLS. I'll cross that bridge when I get there.

Sure it's a bias opinion. But it is also completely professional. She is a dietician, not an MD or a Psycologist. Her job is to help create a balanced diet to properly nourish the body. She is Absoloutly correct. You can lose all the weight you need to without WLS. Unfortunately our problems are most often psychological, habit, or willpower related. All of which fall outside of her realm of expertise. Sometimes you have to decide what is right for you. There are MD's that adamantly oppose WLS, does this make them unprofessional? No, it simply makes them not my physician.

Sure it's a bias opinion. But it is also completely professional. She is a dietician' date=' not an MD or a Psycologist. Her job is to help create a balanced diet to properly nourish the body. She is Absoloutly correct. You can lose all the weight you need to without WLS. Unfortunately our problems are most often psychological, habit, or willpower related. All of which fall outside of her realm of expertise. Sometimes you have to decide what is right for you. There are MD's that adamantly oppose WLS, does this make them unprofessional? No, it simply makes them not my physician.[/quote']

When I talk to any professional I want to get information one the whatever subject. That includes the different bariatric options, pros and cons, and details on whatever else I NEED to know about the steps to qualify. Not once did she mention the benefits of WLS. That does not include their personal opinions about it if I didn't ask for it. I don't need brainwashing. I'm capable of thinking and making decisions for myself. Since we all were veterans it obvious that we know weight loss can be achieved without WLS. You can't get in nor stay in overweight. After so long you'll get kicked out.

As for my pcp I never said he was unprofessional just against WLS. Something I never heard of before which surprised me. Of course I know its possible doctors maybe against it. They know there is more than one way to do treatment. It only become a problem when they try to force their beliefs on you. Hopefully it won't be a problem in the end. But thank you for the feedback.

I went to my pcp yesterday and got nothing but negativity from her. She even said she hated the previous bariatric surgeon in our town (he has since sold his practice and left town) so it seemed personal. At first she really had me scared and concerned but I still believe this is right for me!

But nonetheless I thought it was very unprofessional and ill be looking for a new pcp who is supportive of my decision and will help me through this!

Wow, she was way out of line. Doctors need to check themselves. There is a line between informing your patients about the risks with anything they want to discuss and giving their biased non medical opinion about it. WLS is a great tool. And with more impressionable and malleable patients than you and I would get discouraged.

Good that your looking for another pcp. We need support from our health providers not judgment. I hope this won't delay the process for you.

I am I m move officially shes supposedly gonna call me...its crazy my doc won't refer me untill my bmi id 35

I had my PCP drop me partially cause I missed an appt (which I think was stupid since it was in 3 missed in 5yrs) but when I asked him he was totally dismissive and even refused to write anything to even document my weight history. He said it was fraud. I asked him about my referrals for the nutritionist should be documented he said he had no recollection. I was going to this man for 5yrs he reacted as if I we never met and I have never been treated by him. It's hurtful and frustrating. I hate keeping secrets but when it comes this I think besides me and my surgeon husband and close friends I won't announce it!

Wow krazynique that's seriously wrong! I just requested all my records from my PCP. It was 5 years worth of notes and it had all my weights and blood pressures on them, so there was nothing I needed her to sign! Not sure that she would've signed anything anyway! i would say just ask for your medical records... They can't deny you that.

Reading these kinds of posts reinforces how lucky I am to have my pcp. He mentioned the possibility of me being sleeved in January and shared that both he and his wife had undergone the procedure. I personally thought it was too extreme until he encouraged me to check into it and I attended a seminar led by the surgeon who eventually did my procedure. There are strong negative views about bariatric surgery in the medical community just like in our everyday lives. You just have to figure out if it's the best thing for you and not let others' opinions drag you down.

Not to say you don't listen to solid medical advice. The sleeve isn't the right choice for some people. Work with a physician you trust and connect with your insurance company. You may be pleasantly surprised how supportive and helpful they can be. I know I was!

Tuesday I went to Bariatric Surgery Information class. I learned that I won't have to go to my pcp for a referral. Once I meet all the requirements I call them and they will do the referral. I'm beyond ecstatic that I will not gave to ask my pcp.