Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What Doctor Do I Call? (Tmi Warning)

I am nearly 4 months out and I am sick--like really sick--with I guess a stomach bug?? I am not sure that is what it is, however. I have had 20 + watery clay-colored BM's today. I have taken Imodium and pepto--no better. If I drink a sip of Water I have to go again in less than 2 minutes. I am nauseous, weak and shaky. So, is this something I call the surgeon about or go see my regular PCP? I realize it could be a stomach bug or gallbladder issues.

Anyone else have this?

I havent has this issue, but I would suggest you contact your pcp.

I think you are too far out for a leak, but your symptoms could indicate one. Have you done anything that might have torn your new incisions (yes they are still new). Like big stuff...fighting, auto accident, I don't know...major trauma to the stomach?

It sounds like more of a serious virus, but either way, I'd call your surgeon as well as your PCP. If there is any chance of a leak issue (they are very rare this far out but can happen..or have been undiscovered but causing you damage otherwise) you'd want your surgeon to verify that isn't a problem. I'd personally make both calls myself. I was told leaks are possible up to six months out but very rare later (after 3).

Either way you need to get some relief before you end up dehydrated. I would advise you try drinking no more than an ounce at a time every 15 to 30 mins (see if you can keep it in you that way) which will help with relief of dehydration. (My son struggles with that every cold and flu season so I'm an at home expert LOL). Peppermint tea also works and can sit on your stomach better. Something is out of wack in your gastric system and it's been long enough you shouldn't dismiss it.

Leaks in the lower stomach cause significant gastric issues. Leaks higher up tend to cause lung issues. But a virus is possible...get some help dear! You can't keep that up for long without getting much sicker, no matter what it is!

This happened to me 2 weeks out of surgery. I couldn't keep anything with me... Every time I had anything to drink, I was in the bathroom 5 minutes later w the same BM's as you described. Luckily, mine only lasted 24 hours, which made me think it was a flu bug. Hang in there & call your dr ( any dr) if it persists. Good luck!

If you google this you can find out a lot of info.. if you have been taking the meds you mentioned above, they can cause the stool to change color. here is another thing that could cause it but was higjhly unlikely, i suggest you call your PCP asap.

Stool that is light in color -- like grey clay -- can also mean trouble if it’s a change from what you normally see. Although it doesn’t happen often, very light-colored stool can indicate a block in the flow of bile or liver disease.

Definitely warrants a Dr. call...either your surgeon or your primary.

It's an indicator of potential if not current liver problems. Best to get that ruled out and some professional intervention to get you recovering.

Best of luck to you, so sorry you are going through this

It sounds a lot like the symptoms of C. difficile. You should get checked out!

I have the same problem and I am 10 months post op. I was diagnosed with bile salt mal absorption aka habbas syndrome. I Stll have diarrhea episodes every day. Due to missing gal bladder and its aggrivated by morphine which I had during my hospital stay.